Ettingshausen says Sharks cannot be allowed to die

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
BATTLERS, weakest link, financially-strapped, expendable. That was how many saw South Sydney more than a decade ago.

Now it's Cronulla's turn.

Just like George Piggins' famous crusade to save the Rabbitohs in 2000, the Sharks battle for survival begins today with a similar rallying of the troops.

Sharks players, fans, Sutherland Shire residents, politicians and local celebrities will gather at Toyota Stadium to show their support for the proposed $300 million retail, entertainment and housing complex at Woolooware.

Cronulla's two greatest players over the past 20 years - Andrew Ettingshausen and Paul Gallen - are adamant that the development must go ahead or the Sharks will die.

"I think this is an important initiative," said Ettingshausen, who played a club record 328 matches for the Sharks.

"If the development proposal doesn't get through the Sharks' time in the NRL will soon be over.

"Many other regions across Australia and the Pacific are desperately trying to get a team in. We are one of a handful of regions that can boast of having a team in the prestigious NRL competition.

"We must all get behind the bid to develop the land and create a permanent place for our team to represent Sydney's southern suburbs for decades to come.

"We simply can't afford to throw away this incredible opportunity. Our kids and their kids will have the chance to support and cheer on the mighty Sharks forever."

Cronulla captain Gallen feels so strongly about the issue that the Test forward took time out from his Four Nations commitments in the UK to speak with The Sunday Telegraph.

"It's a must," Gallen said. "The Shire is one of the fastest growing areas in Sydney and I worry - not as a player, but as a resident and a father with two kids - what life would be like without the Sharks playing a huge role in the local community.

"The development isn't just about injecting much-needed funds into the Sharks, it's much bigger than that."

The Sharks rally may not attract anywhere near the 80,000 supporters that marched to Town Hall in November 2000 to push for Souths' re-admission to the NRL, but it means just as much to Sharks fans.

The rally is seen as a crucial step in the club's push to become an NRL powerhouse.

But they must convince the Liberal state government that the development should go ahead.

The Liberals are said to be split over the proposal, which its supporters claim will create 1500 new jobs and 700 homes.

And just as Piggins was outspoken all those years ago about the Rabbitohs' impact on the wider community, the community-based initiative will see actor Brendan Cowell, Sharks club chairman Damian Irvine and Shire Councillor Kent Johns address the rally, which will start in the western car park of Toyota Stadium, with the crowd then marching to the eastern car park.

The rally will also feature a letter-writing stall, encouraging supporters to air their views before submissions to the state government planning assessment commission close on December 5.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl-cronulla-sharks-great-andrew-ettingshausen-says-club-cannot-be-allowed-to-die/story-e6frexni-1226200008417

I live in the area, and I have heard this sort of story about the Sharks every eight or ten years for the past forty years and nothing has changed, if the Sharks don't do this or don't do that then Bla Bla Bla will happen.
They switched to super league in order to survive at the expence of other Sydney clubs, if they go under, well that's just they way things go sometimes.

Its in the NRL and Gallops best interest to keep them alive.

I mean where else can teams dump players that have first grade aspirations but no ability.

i hope they survive i would be lost if i couldnt make cronulla jokes.

looking forward to 2016 the chant will be 50 years won F### All

Cambo said:
i hope they survive i would be lost if i couldnt make cronulla jokes.

looking forward to 2016 the chant will be 50 years won F### All

Nah, you're wrong there, they won the 1979,Amco,or Panasonic or KB, or whatever they called it, cup

Just relocate them to Gosford. Bugger the Bears and their NRL entry bid consortium. The relocation of a Sydney team should be the only way that the NSW Central Coast should get an NRL team in my opinion.

Of course they should'nt die, they should live on to take part in the battle for the wooden spoon with the Eels and Rabbits.

Jethro said:
Just relocate them to Gosford. Bugger the Bears and their NRL entry bid consortium. The relocation of a Sydney team should be the only way that the NSW Central Coast should get an NRL team in my opinion.

Unfortunately for the Central Coast this has to be the case (mind you the Bears not exactly a team that inspires confidence now is it?).

You would think from a marketing point of view that a shark suits a location with the Coast title.

Ironically the Central Coast's old rep colours were sky blue and gold so they've got the sky blue part right.
You'll have idiots from the Bears bid that will say otherwise though!

Talking about the Bears maybe would have been better for them if they merged with the Mariners and became the Northern Mariners

eagles2win said:
Jethro said:

Unfortunately for the Central Coast this has to be the case (mind you the Bears not exactly a team that inspires confidence now is it?).

You would think from a marketing point of view that a shark suits a location with the Coast title.

Ironically the Central Coast's old rep colours were sky blue and gold so they've got the sky blue part right.
You'll have idiots from the Bears bid that will say otherwise though!

Talking about the Bears maybe would have been better for them if they merged with the Mariners and became the Northern Mariners

And become a hybrid soccer/RL team that played (its own unique code) with itself every year and won every year. Now the Norths fans would love that!:p

Not only should they be allowed to die, the only humane solution is to euthanise them. The only down side is the loss of 2-4 certain points a year.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4