Enough of the Feel Good Stories

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Technical Coach said:
mickqld said:
Technical Coach said:
The amount of press about Manly does not bother me, embrace the week enjoy a little fun with the media prank your mates during a photo shoot i just hate the stories.

Taking a pay cut is done for personal reasons and that money is not the be all and end all to leading a happy life, it should not be a point of discussion to remind the press,fans and other clubs how great we are as a point of difference.

Agreed this stuff needs to be after the GF. I didn't like Max putting the boot into Des either. It lacked class.
Wait until after a victory for this stuff. The Roosters have gone about this better than we have. Too much talk. I fear not enough focus on winning the next game.

Yeah did not like the Dessie comments either.

Honestly i don't think getting more money was the only reason Dessie left, he wanted more/ unlimited funds in the training department that were putting pressure on Manly's finances, he loves new toys and the latest training methods.

We let Hasler go at the right time, he has peaked as a coach and the "Bellamy/Hasler" era is at the end of it's dominance now.

Manly and Melb will not dominate to the same degree again(over a 7yr period) as most teams have copied in some form both versions and in certain areas raised the bar just as Manly tweaked,added to the Melb formula on top of creating our own style.

Agree with the last comment, there's a few sides just behind us that are catching up fast and it's no secret that we will lose a lot of great players all at the same time so enjoy while we can I guess!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
Technical Coach said:
mickqld said:
Technical Coach said:
The amount of press about Manly does not bother me, embrace the week enjoy a little fun with the media prank your mates during a photo shoot i just hate the stories.

Taking a pay cut is done for personal reasons and that money is not the be all and end all to leading a happy life, it should not be a point of discussion to remind the press,fans and other clubs how great we are as a point of difference.

Agreed this stuff needs to be after the GF. I didn't like Max putting the boot into Des either. It lacked class.
Wait until after a victory for this stuff. The Roosters have gone about this better than we have. Too much talk. I fear not enough focus on winning the next game.

Honestly i don't think getting more money was the only reason Dessie left, he wanted more/ unlimited funds in the training department that were putting pressure on Manly's finances, he loves new toys and the latest training methods.

We let Hasler go at the right time, he has peaked as a coach and the "Bellamy/Hasler" era is at the end of it's dominance now.

Manly and Melb will not dominate to the same degree again(over a 7yr period) as most teams have copied in some form both versions and in certain areas raised the bar just as Manly tweaked,added to the Melb formula on top of creating our own style.

Agree with the last comment, there's a few sides just behind us that are catching up fast and it's no secret that we will lose a lot of great players all at the same time so enjoy while we can I guess!!

If we can unearth some big mobile young forwards we can still extend this era due to Tooves adding more polish to our go forward and attack.(still needs improvement though which is actually a good sign)

Tooves has the opportunity with young halves to create his own little period of dominance but we need to catch up with the size and explosiveness that Souths and the Roosters are developing.

Now people lets not get the mentality if we win tomorrow "we beat Souths and the Roosters why do we need to copy them", it is obvious we are still lacking punch and penetration especially with flat redzone plays. Increasing the try scoring ability with our forwards is one area we can improve on.

The new breed is there and getting the right exposure. Jake T could be anything, Sao,Chee Kam, Hasson, Starling, Gutherson will be groomed as the new core. Lawrence , Horo , T Red, Buhrer hopefully will carry on for a few years. We will have to find a couple of centers and a backrower.

I think there is just as much chatter as their was in 2011 and we got it done that day - with two halves that were GF debutants!

NYEagle

Two teams that have been talked about all year....how are you going to fill 7 days of news?

bones said:
I'd rather read them than the dribble you normally post.

I have a bone to pick with you Bones why do you keep reading my dribble and reply if you know the subject matter is of such poor dribble quality and two are most of your replies based around your opinion of someone/contributor instead of adding to the discussion.

Do you not read the original posts headline and writer-- not hard to avoid dribble even easier to not reply.

From the article stating that players such as Choc and Gifty took a pay cut to stay at Manly rather than accepting the high money offers they got from other clubs...I wonder if they got their inspiration from the Beaver?

As Watmough sees it, Channel Nine and the NRL have only been interested in a Roosters versus Souths grand final in 2013, before the Sea Eagles quashed that prospect by taking out the Rabbitohs in last weekend's semi-final.

"It was more annoying than anything because we've worked hard to get to where we are, and they wanted that [Roosters v Souths] game," Watmough said.

"Sorry to spoil the party.

"[They promoted it as] 'Come watch the foundation clubs, and Manly will turn up as well'.
"It was great motivation to use.

"Personally I was always confident we’d get there.

"With the hype around the foundation clubs, if you watched on TV, it was all about them. And then it, 'Oh, come watch Manly play as well'.

"We’ve been written off all season, it's been good, the old Dessy cliché - 'Under the radar'.

"We’ve enjoyed it, we have been a bit up and down but over the last eight to 10 weeks we've only had one or two parts where we've been really down.

"The Cronulla game was one of them, we were running on empty but we did what we had to do to win."

Pay cuts, pride and Plan Cs - whatever it takes to spoil the party.

Even the players could see what Nein and the NRL really wanted (but have constantly denied despite clear cut evidence showing otherwise). Now we just have to put the icing on the cake and make it so the Chooks don't win either.

lsz said:
Two teams that have been talked about all year....how are you going to fill 7 days of news?

By showing hard luck stories of Souths not making the GF and i also hear the players made a pact to remove all Tattoos below the elbow and above the neck collar as a show of strength and maturity leading into 2014.

Start a few Dessie rumours...

A close source suggesting we would have been better placed to win last year and this year if Manly met Dessies demands of purchasing an Oxygen chamber for every player and this was the reason for Dessie leaving not the money.

Sea Eagles in deep negotiations with a new technical analysis department looking at extending the Manly era well into the next decade. Sources close to the training staff (aka Silvertails forum contributors) have suggested it has secretly been in use for parts of the current season and want to lock in an extended full time contract for the next few years.

Jatz Crackers said:
Yes, enough of the feel good stories already. Lets feel crap instead !

Do you need the lift of a feel good story to not feel generally crap?

Relax and enjoy it all . GF's are very hard to get into let alone win. A bit petulant complaining that we of all clubs are getting too many feel good stories in the media .

You don't seem to get the media TC. They gotta write about one of the two teams. And I'm delighted with the coverage. Players aren't available to the media after winning the GF and no-one wants to read about a sport once the season has ended. Do you think you get a week of stories about the Australian Open Tennis Champ once it's Game Set and Match?

Budgewoi Eagle said:
You don't seem to get the media TC. They gotta write about one of the two teams. And I'm delighted with the coverage. Players aren't available to the media after winning the GF and no-one wants to read about a sport once the season has ended. Do you think you get a week of stories about the Australian Open Tennis Champ once it's Game Set and Match?

I get the media and their reasons to run with as many stories as possible during the lead up, what i don't get is players opening their mouths more often and more openly than the previous 26-28 games of the season.

Being a fan of both Chewbacca and the Wolfman I love the warm fuzzies. ;)
Way better than reading ASADA and boardroom dramas. We all know the media will turn on us again in the blink of an eye so let's enjoy the good stuff for a brief while.
We're in the Grand Final. That's hard earned and exciting. Go you Manly Men!

Technical Coach said:
mickqld said:
Technical Coach said:

Des Hasler peaked as a coach as my year 6 soccer coach circa 1987. every thing else was just the cream.

Technical Coach said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:

I get the media and their reasons to run with as many stories as possible during the lead up, what i don't get is players opening their mouths more often and more openly than the previous 26-28 games of the season.

I think its just the way things are these days, with Twitter and Instagram etc I know what people are up to before their families do. the lines between personal and public image are blurred for the younger generation. In Manly's case they probably "feel" that they have earnt the right to finally speak about what's been going on for the last x number of years.
Like they say in advertising any publicity is good publicity.
Tomorrow any victory is a good victory and I don't care how we win and what stories are written as I'm old enough to have seen them all before but still young enough to "go off" and "run amok" when we win.

I love Manly and I'm proud as all hell of where we are.

Technical Coach said:
So over them---- plenty of time after the GF and in retirement to look back at the sacrifices made and take pride in ones actions/loyalty.

After the grand final no one is interested in neither writing nor reading feel good stories. I've quite enjoyed some of the insights this week. It's good to get a bit more of a personal edge to the stories rather than the generic robot answers we get every week during the season.

I usually like what TC has to say, but really, i am more concerned about the few weeds in my garden than this.

I can't wait for negative stories. Pfft positive stories are crap . Pfft people are never happy. Makes me think TC is my motherinlaw. She is never happy unless there is drama in the world

Technical Coach said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:

Because the focus is on them more intensely than the other 26-28 games? That the questions are far more intrusive, in line with the attention required to fill news space? Our guys are so comfortable with the GF build-up, through recent experience, that they don't feel the need to apply artificial barriers to most subjects.

I believe you were one of the guys that noted he hated the '...we don't care' motto, yet when we have an opportunity to talk up the positives, you're antsy all of a sudden?

It's a unique situation. A GF that leaves far more neutral fans out there and it's a good chance to use the media to soften our edge. We don't expect people to love us, but already the stories are building a healthy respect from non-supporters, from my experience talking with others this week.

I'm sure the players and Tooves are all over their preparation and are confident they aren't stepping over the line to provide the Roosters with some ammunition via the stories.

Hamster Huey said:
Technical Coach said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:

Because the focus is on them more intensely than the other 26-28 games? That the questions are far more intrusive, in line with the attention required to fill news space? Our guys are so comfortable with the GF build-up, through recent experience, that they don't feel the need to apply artificial barriers to most subjects.

I believe you were one of the guys that noted he hated the '...we don't care' motto, yet when we have an opportunity to talk up the positives, you're antsy all of a sudden?

It's a unique situation. A GF that leaves far more neutral fans out there and it's a good chance to use the media to soften our edge. We don't expect people to love us, but already the stories are building a healthy respect from non-supporters, from my experience talking with others this week.

I'm sure the players and Tooves are all over their preparation and are confident they aren't stepping over the line to provide the Roosters with some ammunition via the stories.

Not sure what you mean about the "we don't care" motto i don't mind the banner mentality just don't need to see it displayed "it is implied that we know everyone hates us"

I did not expect this thread to generate this type of response more a yes or no reply. I just don't feel it is necessary and it does not help our cause yet at the same time with so much experience in the squad it is not going to make the difference between winning and losing.

My point is in general about all aspects of life, never advertise ones good qualities as you come across as too into yourself.(Except when you are TC and proclaiming you are the greatest tactician ever)

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6