England vs New Zealand 1st test

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
The Kiwis have named their team for the first test at the KC Stadium in Hull.

FB - Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
WG - Jason Nightingale
CE - Jordan Kahu
CE - Dean Whare
WG - Shaun Kenny-Dowall
FE - Peta Hiku
HB - Tuimoala Lolohea
PR - Jesse Bromwich
HK - Issac Luke (c)
PR - Sam Moa
SR - Kevin Proctor
SR - Tohu Harris
LK - Adam Blair

Res from: Kodi Nikorima, Martin Taupau, Ben Matulino, Sio Siua Takeiaho, Alex Glenn, Lewis Brown

The England squad is:

John Bateman (Wigan), Joe Burgess (Wigan), Thomas Burgess (South Sydney), Mike Cooper (St George Illawarra), Leroy Cudjoe (Huddersfield), Liam Farrell (Wigan), Brett Ferres (Huddersfield), James Graham (Canterbury-Bankstown), Ryan Hall (Leeds), Zak Hardaker (Leeds), Chris Hill (Warrington), Josh Hodgson (Canberra), Sean O’Loughlin, (c) (Wigan), James Roby (St Helens), Kallum Watkins (Leeds), Ben Westwood (Warrington), Elliott Whitehead (Catalans), Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra), George Williams (Wigan)

Last edited:
The Kiwis have named their team for the first test at the KC Stadium in Hull.

FB - Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
WG - Jason Nightingale
CE - Jordan Kahu
CE - Dean Whare
WG - Shaun Kenny-Dowall
FE - Peta Hiku
HB - Tuimoala Lolohea
PR - Jesse Bromwich
HK - Issac Luke (c)
PR - Sam Moa
SR - Kevin Proctor
SR - Tohu Harris
LK - Adam Blair

Res from: Kodi Nikorima, Martin Taupau, Ben Matulino, Sio Siua Takeiaho, Alex Glenn, Lewis Brown

The England squad is:

John Bateman (Wigan), Joe Burgess (Wigan), Thomas Burgess (South Sydney), Mike Cooper (St George Illawarra), Leroy Cudjoe (Huddersfield), Liam Farrell (Wigan), Brett Ferres (Huddersfield), James Graham (Canterbury-Bankstown), Ryan Hall (Leeds), Zak Hardaker (Leeds), Chris Hill (Warrington), Josh Hodgson (Canberra), Sean O’Loughlin, (c) (Wigan), James Roby (St Helens), Kallum Watkins (Leeds), Ben Westwood (Warrington), Elliott Whitehead (Catalans), Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra), George Williams (Wigan)
When is it and what channel is it televised?

I blame the NRL in not enforcing the broadcast of RL. Ridiculous to have the off season without any games.

Most of the Kiwis are NRL Players nowdays, and even the Brits are familiar to us.

Even the Tonga v Cook Island match last month would have been fun.

If they can show City v Country, then surely these International Tests warrant the same exposure.

What is needed, first and foremost is clarity on strategic objectives. Without this clarity, actions become inconsistent, contradictory and confused.

The first strategic objective, IMO, is to grow the game. We either grow or we die. How to best grow the game? Number one: Increase awareness of the game in the minds of the masses. How best to do that? Increase free-to-air coverage.

International games are a massive opportunity to increase public awareness of the game, and to grow the game.

If you have to PAY to have the games televised free-to-air, and at reasonable times, then PAY. This, really, is a no-brainer.

I'm starting to think that even without Johnson and Foran, the Kiwis won't be as bad as people first thought.

Most seem to have forgotten that realistically, the England team kinda sucks. I mean sure, they beat France 84-4 last week. But if you are realistic about it you'd realise that that particular French team would be hard pressed beating one of the bottom 8 Holden Cup teams this year.

I know a lot of people are predicting a 3-0 series win to England, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Kiwis still won this series even without their recognised play makers.

I'm starting to think that even without Johnson and Foran, the Kiwis won't be as bad as people first thought.

Most seem to have forgotten that realistically, the England team kinda sucks. I mean sure, they beat France 84-4 last week. But if you are realistic about it you'd realise that that particular French team would be hard pressed beating one of the bottom 8 Holden Cup teams this year.

I know a lot of people are predicting a 3-0 series win to England, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Kiwis still won this series even without their recognised play makers.

My Prediction:

I'm tipping New Zealand to win the series 1-2

Game One: New Zealand to draw first blood by 8pts (0-1)

Game Two: England to bounce back with the support of their home crowd in London to level the series by 4pts (1-1)

Game Three: New Zealand to win the series with a convincing 12 point victory (1-2)

*(England-New Zealand)

I can never get it right when predicting points, so I'm just going to go NZ/ENG/NZ

I blame the NRL in not enforcing the broadcast of RL. Ridiculous to have the off season without any games.

Most of the Kiwis are NRL Players nowdays, and even the Brits are familiar to us.

Even the Tonga v Cook Island match last month would have been fun.

If they can show City v Country, then surely these International Tests warrant the same exposure.

It shows how out of touch they really are. Another case of them misreading their fans.

England overpower Kiwis to take series lead
  • SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2015
England has overcome an early 10-point deficit to defeat New Zealand 26-12 in the first Test at Hull’s KC Stadium.

After fighting back to level the scores by halftime, England held the Kiwis scoreless in the second stanza and clinched a four-tries-to-two win with a physical and clinical performance against the world’s No.1-ranked side.

New Zealand was plagued by penalties and errors after the break and England took full toll, to the delight of the 23,256-strong crowd.

The Kiwis took just six minutes to post the first try, Jason Nightingale worming his way into space before five-eighth Peta Hiku tipped the ball on for Tohu Harris, who charged through the defensive line on the angle and scored. Issac Luke’s conversion attempt was waved away.

Nightingale and HIku were prominent again as the visitors extended their lead to 10-0 after 16 minutes, making big inroads before Roger Tuivasa-Sheck drew England captain Sean O’Loughlin to send Sam Moa over for his second Test try.

Moa’s try jolted the hosts into action, however, and they landed on the scoreboard just before the quarter-mark when Elliot Whitehead’s offload bounced fortuitously off Zak Hardaker’s knee, allowing Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson to pick up the loose ball and dot down for England’s opening score.

Gareth Widdop’s conversion cut the deficit to four points, but Kiwis co-captain Luke pushed the scoreline out to 12-6 with 15 minutes of the half remaining after England counterpart O’Loughlin was pinged for holding down in the tackle. Meanwhile, Hodgson was forced off with a shin injury, which brought James Roby into the action from the bench; the veteran rake would have a monumental impact on the contest.

Centre Jordan Kahu was denied a try on Test debut in the 32nd minute courtesy of a contentious obstruction call against Harris, and England made the most of the let-off as halfback George Williams served up a pass for barnstorming interchange forward Brett Ferres, who charged in to score behind the posts.

Widdop’s simple conversion made the halftime score 12-all.

England, ramping up their intensity after the resumption, hit the lead for the first time in the 46th minute via a Widdop penalty goal. Poor discipline and execution by New Zealand repeatedly invited England deep into Kiwis territory.

The home side dominated possession and field position, but outstanding goal-line defence kept the them at bay – until Ferres burrowed his way over for a second try under the posts, giving England a handy eight-point buffer with 20 minutes left.

The Kiwis finally gained a bit of traction and pressed England’s defence with some repeat sets but, with fatigue evidently playing a factor, their forays into the opposition half failed to produce any points.

Skipper O’Loughlin put the result to bed with three minutes on the clock after England received back-to-back possessions, busting the tackles of Adam Blair and Kevin Proctor to cross for the clincher. Widdop slotted his fifth goal to put the match out of reach at 26-12.

Two-try hero Brett Ferres claimed man-of-the-match honours, a fitting tribute for an England victory built on a magnificent forward-pack display.

The convincing loss – and in particular the second-half shutout – leaves coach Stephen Kearney and his Kiwis outfit with plenty of work to do as the series moves on to London for the second Test next Saturday.

England 26 (Brett Ferres 2, Josh Hodgson, Sean O’Loughlin tries; Gareth Widdop 5 goals) defeated New Zealand Kiwis 12 (Tohu Harris, Sam Moa tries; Issac Luke 2 goals) at KC Stadium, Hull, Sunday, November 1. Crowd: 23,256.

I believe in a last minute decision by Foxtel that it was shown in Australia, I never bothered to get up but am guessing there will be a replay at some stage.

I was reading on Twitter and they caned the two makeshift halves from NZ, so I'm guessing Peta didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Yeah Peta did ok overall I thought. Seems to be getting more comfortable and confident in the playmaking role. Still the odd times where he may not take the right option but he seems to be improving as he gets more experience playing there.

Lolohea and Luke shared the general play kicking with Peta like last game. Peta only kicked a handful of times and from memory most were clearing kicks from out of their own half. He did have one charged which luckily was regathered by a teamate and Peta made a break which eventually led to the Kiwis second try to Moa. Peta also got a try assist with a deft tip on pass putting Harris through a gap to score the Kiwi's first try.

I actually thought Peta and Lolohea looked much better than last week as a halves combo. Still a work in progress but seemed more comfortable than before.

The Kiwi's did not lose because of their halves play. They lost because they got outdone in the forwards by England who made too much yards. They dropped the ball alot and gave away too many penalties in the second half. I also thought some of the forwards underperformed a bit as well. I must say the refreeing wasn't the greatest either but that's not why the Kiwis lost.

Speaking about forwards I thought Tapau went ok and just did what he normally does. Ran hard and tackled hard making an impact off the bench. I actually thought Kearney could have played him some more. Lewis Brown didn't make the final playing squad of 17 so nothing to say in regards to him.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4