End of our Finals cycle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We are officially at the end of our Finals cycle I feel. Note the pattern (end of regular season position):
2005 – 8th  (out 1st week)
2006 – 6th  (out 2nd week)
2007 – 2nd  (GF)
2008 – T1st (Premiers)
2009 – 5th  (out 1st week)
2010 – 8th  (out 1st week)
I fear that we may not see Finals action again for a while to come.

Utter bull****. There is no reason why with our playing roster that we wont be playing semi-final football regularly in the next few seasons.With a good run with injuries another grand final is certainly possible.

Interesting cycle but doesn't really mean much if our players can play well next year.

I think that's a reasonably natural cycle with the salary cap though.

A full strength Manly like Saints,Canberra,Roosters are would have been a lot different team to what we have seen recently. We wouldnt have finished 8th more likely top 4 and be still alive.

Crusher_Cleal link said:
We are officially at the end of our Finals cycle I feel. Note the pattern (end of regular season position):
2005 – 8th   (out 1st week)
2006 – 6th   (out 2nd week)
2007 – 2nd   (GF)
2008 – T1st (Premiers)
2009 – 5th   (out 1st week)
2010 – 8th   (out 1st week)
I fear that we may not see Finals action again for a while to come.
LOL we will be there again next year,  depends on how we make it wether we will have success in the 1st week of finals or we bow out, but definately we will be there.. actually i can see us getting back some momentum  the team lost after the WCC, we get  wolfie ,snake back which already adds more pace for us out wide ,  nah man i think we will make it just like we did this yr  & 09 & we did it   without our full roster..

Time to start the rebuilding I think.

next year we have a few players coming off contract and hopefully we are able to make a few key buys that will see us build towards success over the next 3 years

Dan link said:
Time to start the rebuilding I think.

next year we have a few players coming off contract and hopefully we are able to make a few key buys that will see us build towards success over the next 3 years

Hopefully the club has found a pen before next season then  :) Kite, King, Rodney, Bailey, Robbo and Wolf all off contract end of next year!

Crusher (the real one) said to me once these things go in 5 year cycles.

Year 1 rebuild
Year 2 Continue rebuild and finals at lower end
Year 3 Putting the last cogs in place and a higher up finals position
Year 4 Your first real shot at the big one
Year 5 Your last shot at the big one

Based on that his namesake who posted this may well be right.

2011 tough year and a clean out
2012 Rebuild

And so on, meaning about 2014-2015 would be our next big shot at a GF.

And in the case of St Choke, they'll get this year and next...and if you consider the likely back end deal for Gasnier (on $55K this year) you can see where Noel was coming from.

You only have to look at the 2008 GF winning side
And look at our potential 2011 side

To see how the Salary Cap has effectively "knee capped" us.

And St Choke will be next.

Mark,while i respect you and Crusher alot i think we have all the key ingredients still available in 2011 to give the title a red hot shake as we did this year before our huge spate of injuries,our weaknesses at the start of the year were in number 7 and 17 respectively as Bailey had little game time early on,from memory the last 20 minutes,when Rodney was having trouble keeping up his huge intensity

I think DCE will be a gun for us this coming year,i hope so anyway
He would have spent alot more time with Ox due to being on toyota cup while Hodko was busy in QLD,furthering on that point his reuniting with Foran will be invaluable as they had a killer combination in the 20s

Our 14 Seu Seu hopefully stays in FG as yesterday,he WAS the stranger and took his role brilliantly

Hopefully Cunningham will be ready for 15,Keeping Joe another year at 16 and with any luck Des will find that f**king photo and 17 will be Buhrer

So looking at our squad

1 B Stewart/Hoppoate/Oldfield
2 M Robertson/Oldfield/Hoppoate
3 Lyon/Whare
4 Matai/Whare
5 D Williams/Oldfield/Hoppoate
6 K Foran/Lyon
7 Daly Cherry-Evans/Foran
8 J King
9 M Ballin
10 B Kite
11 A Watmough/T Williams
12 S Rodney/T Williams
13 G Stewart/T Williams

14 Seu Seu
15 T Williams/Gulavao
16 Rose/Cunningham/Cross/T Williams
17 Buhrer/Cunningham/Lussick/Cross/T Williams

It would be nice to have more players able to play Centre
Halfback or Prop however

That is as potent a side as any in the NRL with Des's Coaching
and hopefully ALOT MORE WORK from Singe

Slight edit,forgot T Rex

2009 – 5th   (out 1st week)

This is the one that p!sses me off the most. It should say 2009 - Premiers. We so blew a great chance to go back to back with off field dramas beyond belief and insipid on field performances killing our year. Stewy being injured didn't help, but the whole Penn v Delmege handbag stoush and the disastrous fall out from the season launch was embarrassing at times. This translated to some very pedestrian performances on the pitch. We lost a great opportunity to set up a legacy for the next decade because we didn't have strong leadership (both on and off the field) keeping the club focused and hungry. Remember how the media were talking about this being the greatest Manly side ever after we won the WCC ? LOL, they certainly didn't look like that come season end.

I fear the fallout from last years pathetic season will take a few years to turn around. We blew it and now we are paying for it.

Chip & Chase link said:
2009 – 5th  (out 1st week)

This is the one that p!sses me off the most. It should say 2009 - Premiers. We so blew a great chance to go back to back with off field dramas beyond belief and insipid on field performances killing our year. Stewy being injured didn't help, but the whole Penn v Delmege handbag stoush and the disastrous fall out from the season launch was embarrassing at times. This translated to some very pedestrian performances on the pitch. We lost a great opportunity to set up a legacy for the next decade because we didn't have strong leadership (both on and off the field) keeping the club focused and hungry. Remember how the media were talking about this being the greatest Manly side ever after we won the WCC ? LOL, they certainly didn't look like that come season end.

I fear the fallout from last years pathetic season will take a few years to turn around. We blew it and now we are paying for it.

Well said C&C - agree 100%.

Yeah I'd agree with that, and I'd agree with Shane we will have a good side next year and could possibly win more games than we lose...BUT we start with a completly inexperienced half back and a 5/8 still fidning his way......so much like this year I'll have low expectations

We have copped some fearful finals hidings since 2005.

Parra flogged us in '05
The Dragons flogged us 28-0 in '06
The Storm flogged us in '09
The Dragons flogged us in 10

So, realistically, we have been competitive for 2 years out of the last 6 in the finals.

its up to the players and the staff, if they just go through the motions its all over, but if they can find that passion again, its ours !

Moops link said:
We have copped some fearful finals hidings since 2005.

Parra flogged us in '05
The Dragons flogged us 28-0 in '06
The Storm flogged us in '09
The Dragons flogged us in 10

So, realistically, we have been competitive for 2 years out of the last 6 in the finals.

Or you could say that the only legal team in beat us in the finals since 2006 has been the Dragons ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4