1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embarrassing Spelling mistake

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    [​IMG]

FORMER Super League boss John Ribot once famously declared he'd put rugby league on the map in Asia.

It turns out 15 years later the Chinese can't even spell the name of our NRL premiers.

In an embarrassing blunder that will cost jersey manufacturer ISC tens of thousands of dollars, Manly-Warringah has been spelt Manly Warringan on jerseys made at a small factory in Beijing.

The flawed stock has already been distributed into Australia's major rugby league outlets including Peter Wynn's Score at Parramatta and Rebel at Warringah Mall.

Most jerseys purchased as Christmas presents more than likely have the spelling mistake above the Sea Eagles logo.

The error has been found on both home and away jerseys and wet weather jackets.

Manly officials had no idea of the problem until alerted by The Daily Telegraph this week.

Owner and chairman Scott Penn said: "I've got one here in my office - it's perfect."

Penn's jersey is one of a small number still manufactured by ISC in Australia.

"I'll look into it," he said when emailed a photo with the incorrect spelling.

The jersey problem continues a totally forgettable six months for the NRL premiers, who sacked their longest-serving official Peter Peters, lost their coach Des Hasler to Canterbury and lost Will Hopoate to the Parramatta Eels (via a Mormon mission) along with all the boardroom and ownership squabbles.

Peter Wynn said he was first alerted to the problem on Monday when a customer who had purchased a jersey over the weekend, complained.

"It's highly unusual for a reputable company like ISC," Wynn said.

"Very uncharacteristic.

"There's such a long checking process - the factory that makes them, the manufacturer, the NRL and then the club.

"All they can do is recall the stock and make sure our customers get the right ones for the start of the season."

ISC has confirmed about 1000 items will have to be recalled. At $169 a jersey, it's a mistake that will cost the company a minimum $100,000.

Manly's commercial director Greg Butterworth confirmed the bad jerseys had been distributed to at least 20 retail outlets and some had been found in the club's own supporters store.

"It's irritating and it's a nuisance," Butterworth said, "but it won't cost us anything because ISC have agreed to replace it all straight away. It's just like a product recall.

"They also have a factory in Australia that is used for urgent supplies. We couldn't just let it go because it's our brand and we have to protect it."There have been a couple of complaints but most people have had a bit of a laugh and come in to replace it."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-warringan-jersey-blooper-adds-to-curse/story-e6frfgbo-1226241243546

2. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,525 / 32
    Collectors item?

• Like Like x 1
  3. COMMANDER

COMMANDER IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU CAN NOT FAIL 2016 Tipping Competitor

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,740 / 81
    Goes to show how much margin is in a jersey that costs $3 to make in China and sells for $190 in Australia.

4. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,479 / 35
    Kapi was the 1st to find the spelling mistake last week & alert the club, not the Daily Terror.

5. km@ntis

km@ntis Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks for the props Mals, the main thing is this has now been addressed and the club (Larissa) have reacted in the appropriate manner in order to protect 'our' brand. I think ISC may struggle to get a contract renewal starting 2013 but.

6. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    As a member of the Manly Warringan Travelling Supportans this doesn't bother me too much

7. km@ntis

km@ntis Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hahahaha, very funny.

8. Frogz

Frogz Don't mess with the goat, he has photos. Premium Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,389 / 36
    Why do News Ltd mention Hasler, Hoppa Jnr and even the boardroom dramas in an article about a jersey stuff up by ISC.

Oh just checked....Phil Rothfield...w@nker

9. km@ntis

km@ntis Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I second that -btw, well said.

10. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Manly Warringah are back under the radar :p

11. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    It's funny. In phuket you can these knitted braclets. They come around the bars at night there are national ones, some very rude explicit ones as well as epl and nrl teams. In feb when I was there one night on the sauce I bought a manly one only to discover back in Australia it didnt say sea eagles it said she eagles.

12. arty

arty Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Are Manly Warringah supporters now officially Warringans? Seems OK to me....We have been called worse than this before...I can anticipate a few rallying call Warringan banners at Brookie from now on. "Warringan" will out rival SOO "Queenslander" calls with intense passion from the Terry Hill in 2012! Long live Warringans!!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. G-land Express

G-land Express Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    4th paragraph down...........

Peter Wynn's Score at Parramatta

I've never been to his store but is that a spelling mistake or is his shop actually called Peter Wynn's Score?

14. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,565 / 45
    I've got a rubber backed bar runner here that says, "Manly Warrigah Sea Eagles". We found it in a shop here in 2003/4 and couldn't leave it. I paid $10 for it and the old bloke would not budge on price, even when i showed him the mistake. LOL.

15. km@ntis

km@ntis Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Peter Wynn's store is in fact named 'Peter Wynn's Score'.[hr]
    Collectors item like those stamps printed with the upside down plane in the US last one was auctioned for USD$525,ooo.

16. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 26
    I'd say that was entirely appropriate considering you were in Thailand!

17. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    LOL. The Daily Telegraph are hyprocrites !! They've been mispelling Paul Kent's surname for years.

18. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,805 / 53
    I thought the club had changed the name in protest over Warringah Council's approach to negotiations over Brookie?

19. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    You're correct there's no e in his surname. But I'm sure there's a you. #iamcaptainobvious

20. arty

arty Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Maybe the NRL players wives should all [accurately] call themselves She Eagles.. More Brookie banner possibilities! What about He Eagles for the male Terry Hillites? This situation is not a spelling error at all, it is an identity discovery issue...a happy accident...We are all coming out or maybe it is in cannot decide this one....need expert help...confusion now well above state average....