Eagles' call to get their oldest fan a seat at Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
SHE could be the Sea Eagles’ oldest and most loyal supporter, but it took a last-minute call from the club for Mollie Monk to get a parking spot at Brookvale Oval for what might be her last outing to a game.

Mollie Monk with her Menzies Medal. Her grandkids and great-grandkids are in the background. Picture: ANNIKA ENDERBORG ~PP407575

By her own admission, Mrs Monk’s 95-year-old knees aren’t what they used to be, so a parking spot at the oval is the best way of ensuring she can get along to the last home game of the season.
She’s been a club member for 46 years and has been to every grand final in which Manly played, but the walk from the club’s carpark near Pittwater Rd was getting too much for her.
Mrs Monk was awarded the Menzies Medal in 2008 for being the club’s most loyal and dedicated fan.
``This could well be my last game,’’ she said.
``My knees are going and having to park at the club and walk to the oval is too far for me.
``We started sitting on the hill but then my son Bruce got us season tickets in the Jane Try stand and we’ve been there ever since.
``I’ve been to quite a few away games but I’ve rarely missed a home game.
``When I won the Menzies Medal they said I was entitled to a parking spot at the oval but nothing ever came of it.’‘
Bruce Monk said he rang the club’s game-day operations manager this week on his mother’s behalf but his request for a parking spot at the oval was rejected.
``At any other club they’d send a car to pick her up that’s how family-oriented other clubs are. I’m disappointed Manly couldn’t do the same,’’ he said.
But late yesterday Sea Eagles spokesman Peter Peters came to the rescue, saying a parking spot at the oval had been reserved for the club’s No.1 fan.
``Her name will be at the front gate, so they’ll be looking forward to seeing her,’’ he said.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2