Eagles Angel lets fly at state of junior rugby league

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hang on? She was swearing because a bigger kid ran over a smaller kid? Oh come on. It used to happen to me every bloody week when I was in the juniors as I was one of the smallest, you know what it thought me...technique. My dad showed me how to tackle, no matter how big or small. And you know what, as I got older it stayed with me. I didn't get much bigger but by the time I was playing against adults I used to love being able to cut down a man twice my size. The game being played at all levels is the same. Just a matter of how much you love it.

Yeh we need the Eagle Angels back. It was the best initiative ... Getting local girls and women who love the team a voice! Just so happened that some pretty smart and powerful ladies rock the peninsula. They were able to support charities and generally raise the profile of league for the fairer sex. Sarah Murdoch, Wendy Harmer, Layne Beachley, Melinda Gainsford-Taylor, Laura Enever, Kerri Pottharst, Naomi Flood, Debbie Watson, Louise Savage, Anne Sargeant and Nici Andronicus. Great support for the team and they started in 2002 when we were at our lowest ebb.

Bring them back! Support them!

A little off topic, but have the Eagle Angels been officially given the last rites ?? I think burning these ladies was one of the dumbest things the current owners have done.
Wendy, when referring to this article on Twitter on the weekend gave a 3 part response to her lack of involvement with Manly. Essentially, she wants nothing to do with them while the current management/ownership is in place. This is because after 10 years AND bringing in Max Delmege AND raising upwards of $500,000 for the club, the Angels have never even received a single phone call from the current bunch. They just left them hanging in the wind.

Background Info
Bob Fulton - Head of recruitment 1st Grade, 4x Grand sons Beacon Hill
Scott Fulton - Head of recruitment Under 20's, SG Ball and Harold Matthews, 1x son plays Beacon Hill
Brett Fulton - Incharge of all Junior Development Represenative squads, Head Coach of 3x Beacon Hill Sides, 2x sons play for Beacon Hill
Kristy Fulton - Employed as Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Junior Development Assistant, 1x son plays for Beacon Hill

Prior to this year
Under 20's - made Grandfinal
SG Ball - 1 game off grandfinal
Harold Matts - semi finals

Now that this family has total control we have this!
Under 20's - dead last
SGBall - only won 1 game! One draw and seven losses (bottom 3)
Harold Matts - semi finals
Margaret Fulton has been appointed head of team nutrition.

Hang on? She was swearing because a bigger kid ran over a smaller kid? Oh come on. It used to happen to me every bloody week when I was in the juniors as I was one of the smallest, you know what it thought me...technique. My dad showed me how to tackle, no matter how big or small. And you know what, as I got older it stayed with me. I didn't get much bigger but by the time I was playing against adults I used to love being able to cut down a man twice my size. The game being played at all levels is the same. Just a matter of how much you love it.
Spot on mate. If these kids are too scared to get hurt maybe league isn't for them - or playing in a position such as forward may not be for them.
Someone think of the poor white kids out west that play against these guys every week of every year, they seem to do ok!

Geez Jake i know your one of the best players in the NRL, and probably the best technical defender in the game, but ive even seen you get your head in the wrong position at times and end up concussed. Imagine if those who collected you were twice your body mass, brain damage, broken neck, death. No wonder NRL is dying in the junior ranks, mothers have every right to care and protect their kids, as do fathers, many who pull their kids out before U12s for the same reason

Wendy, when referring to this article on Twitter on the weekend gave a 3 part response to her lack of involvement with Manly. Essentially, she wants nothing to do with them while the current management/ownership is in place. This is because after 10 years AND bringing in Max Delmege AND raising upwards of $500,000 for the club, the Angels have never even received a single phone call from the current bunch. They just left them hanging in the wind.

Unbelievablely sad, and all because the Penn's wanted to sell their corporate suite and make money instead of gifting it to them.

It's amazing how many dumb decisions this crew have made.

Spot on mate. If these kids are too scared to get hurt maybe league isn't for them - or playing in a position such as forward may not be for them.
Someone think of the poor white kids out west that play against these guys every week of every year, they seem to do ok!
Maybe they should not be playing BUT I think you missed the point. It was one particular team at Beacon Hill that had bigger kids bought in and causing the concern. So much concern that other teams had forfeited (never heard of that before). Obviously Nic over reacted and said stuff she now regrets, and subsequently apologised. Maybe the teams that forfeited should consider leaving RL and leave this team to themselves in the comp. Or just maybe there is a more intelligent solution.

I saw plenty of brave kids playing on the weekend. The issue was not courage but that the teams were physically mis matched making it not safe

League is probably the most physically challenging game in the world...these were kids being outweighed by 20 odd kgs still throwing themselves into tackles but getting busted up during it.

Considering the age we live in re player safety the challenge for all physical sports is how to make the game safe and inclusive without reducing what attracts most people

I was big for my age and LOVED playing up higher ages, when I was 9 I played each week against 12 year olds. One to two years up was perfect. It's an obvious solution to size mismatches.

What's the incentive for these kids to come all the way from out west to play in the local Manly competition? Wouldn't they be better off playing in their local competition or are these the kids who are the rejects?

Disappointing what is happening to junior rugby league. I am surprised that the people that govern the juniors have not tried to address these issues.

Soon it will just be a game that only the big Polynesian kids will play as non-Polynesian parents will not want their smaller kids playing against these larger kids due to fear of injury. We are already seeing this across the NRL. Players are getting bigger and bigger. Some of the guys who play centre or wing now could have played in the front row 30 years ago.

When I played junior league you didn't start until you were 8 ( it's now 5) but we were graded based on height / weight, and this was over 50 years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8