1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dugan's 'kick'

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Napper, May 6, 2012.

1. Napper

Napper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +797 / 1
    On the 20m restart.

So if the ball bounced and went out fron his kick. Would it have been a canberra scrum from wherever the ball went over the touch line?

If this is the case then along with short kick-offs, why isnt this play used more often??

2. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,846 / 103
    Yes. It was worth the risk.
    I couldn't believe when Canberra trailed by six that they didn't attempt a short kick restart. They just booted it long and Manly played out its six.

3. voicefromthehill

voicefromthehill Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 9
    I think it is correct, not sure why it isn't attempted more often - last attempt that I recall was a game against the Knights when Joey still played, it may well have been against the raiders

• Like Like x 1
  4. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Pretty sure if it found touch it would be there feed. Not used more often as the chances are you will just turn over possession. I have only seen it used when teams are desperate for points in the final couple of minutes and have no faith in getting 80 metres.

5. Sheikheagle

Sheikheagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +856 / 53
    Yes that's correct the scrum feed would have gone to Canberra as long as it wasn't kicked out on the full. It definitely could be used more often however high risk if the ball doesn't go out as happened today.

6. Napper

Napper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +797 / 1
    You'd think with a big enough kick by the time the fullback got back to return the ball if it didnt go out that the metres gained would not be much different than a full set of 6 and down field kick.

Guess there are pros and cons but this play would work wonders for a side with 10/10 defence..e.g 2010 Dragons.

7. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Is the case with any free kick IIRC, kick offs, drop outs, 20m restarts

8. Napper

Napper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +797 / 1
    Yeah i was aware of that but always thought it was a 20m tap when caught on full in goal or kicked dead by attacking team.

9. Ron E. Gibbs

Ron E. Gibbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,438 / 12
    Thurston did this successfully against Souths last weekend (and I had to explain to my wife what he was doing and how smart it was). Obviously Dugan watched that game, too. Just couldn't execute.

10. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,800 / 58
    I saw joey do that in a soo match. Good stuff.

11. shauneagle

shauneagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    what about his kick for touch when they got the penalty? I wonder if Sheeds was watching that? GWS for sure!!

12. eagles2win

eagles2win Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 0
    Why commentators refer to it as an optional restart now

13. StuBoot

StuBoot Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +796 / 7
    Not really sure why but some commentators have called it that for ages.
    I assume you have the option of kicking it like Dugan did or a "tap" kick for yourself. The thing I've noticed lately with the tap kick is that players these days don't release it from their hands like they used to, so I assume the rule has changed in that regard. You used to see the occasional player knocking it on trying to take a quick tap.

14. ads

ads Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1
    As soon as he did it I thought 'good idea' but after looking at the clock I didn't think so - there was about 60 seconds left, he kicks it to our 40m and most of that time is taken up by his forwards lumbering into position to stop the clock. I reckon just trying to score from a full set would have been better.

I like the willingness to take a risk though.

15. 2830 Eagle

2830 Eagle Aim low, reach your goals, avoid disappointment

Ratings:
    +97 / 2
    That's correct, ball doesn't have to leave hands as long as it is touched by the boot.

16. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,800 / 58
    I've wondered that for ages, I give your 60th post, post of the year.