• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Name 5 seasons when Manly failed to make the semis.
Do not google! (Honesty system) :D. :D
I can't name 5 without checking, and I have followed Manly for many years.
I'll start with 2004. NE not included of course.
At a guess there have not been many since the late 1960s?

I know 1989 was one year (Thompson was coach?)

Also there was a year where we missed out to the Panthers in a play off for 5th place (i was at the SCG) i am guessing that was 1985?

I'll doubt there's many who could name them from memory, but of course they are probably the years we try to put out of our mind.
I know we made the grand final in 1968 and I'd be surprised if we've missed the finals many times since then. Less than a dozen times is my guess.

I only really became aware as a Manly supporter around 85/6 (although i do remember the grand finals v eels)

From memory...and this will be scratchy...

87..winners
88..maybe 4th?
89..missed out
90..4th?
91...either 2nd or 3rd (was that the year we went out to the raiders and bears?)
92..i think we missed out. Pretty sure i was at brookie for Snoz's last game, and Illaware scored right at the end to knock us out?
93..4th or 5th
94..4th or 5th
95..minor prems
96..minor prems
97..minor prems
98..10th? But maybe semi finalists (i think we went on a run to make it at the end)
99....no semis..maybe 13 or 14? (i am struggling to remember how many teams there were...was it still 20? Or was that the first years souths was gone?)
2000 - 2002 i will not speak of it
2003 - was that the year we just beat souths to not finish last? After that game at North Sydney oval?
2004 - i can not remember at all...maybe we made it that year
2005 - 8th...pretty sure we played the eels? and got touched up? I remember someone on here had a mate who got kicked out at parra stadium for asking where the sea breeze was
2006 - 5th - we got dusted by the knights in the first week in that brutal game then out with a goose egg v dragons (BK's last game for us)
2007 - maybe 3rd?

And the rest is pretty easy...now to google to check!

I think we missed the finals maybe twice in the 70s and a couple in the 80s, wouldn't be much more than that...

I'm going to be ugly and stick in 2015. If, as I fear, we lose Snake, Foran, Choc, Matai, and Gift than you can kiss next year goodbye. I fear it and you probably know it. Done. Dusted.

ManlyBacker said:
I'm going to be ugly and stick in 2015. If, as I fear, we lose Snake, Foran, Choc, Matai, and Gift than you can kiss next year goodbye. I fear it and you probably know it. Done. Dusted.

Yes if they are gone, and at this late stage (in terms of replacements) we will be the laughing stock of the League, from the Penthouse to the Outhouse in one year.

BUT, the Panthers did it, got rid of every "star and legend" and almost made a GF in the next year.

Personally I can't see all five gone

In 1979 we failed to make the finals as defending premiers. It was the only time we didn't make the semis during the 70's. This also happened in 1980, 1989, 1992 (Isz, you are correct. Lost to the Steelers at Brookie after a Rod Wishart try in Snoz's last game) and 1999

In 2003 we finished 14th (second last, 8 points clear of Souffs). In 2004 we finished 13th. We've made every finals series since.

Before the 1970's? I'd have to look it up.

Last edited:
Not bad long range prediction even though we still have some of those players.
Nevertheless this afternoon I just backed us to make the top 8, which is paying $5.15.
I rarely bet, but I can see the team fighting hard for the rest of the year. Hope so, anyway!

History shows the Sea Eagles rarely miss the finals twice in a row. That means 2016 we'll be there at the business end, and the natural order is restored.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4