Drugs ban rugby star Terry Newton dead at 31

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
Tragic ex-Great Britain rugby league star Terry Newton was found hanged at his home yesterday.

The 31-year-old player was suspended from the game for two years in February after taking the banned human growth hormone drug hGH. Police said there were no suspicious circumstances.

He had posted an apparent suicide note on his Facebook page in the early hours. It read: "Luv u all but end time xxxx"

Dad-of-two Newton, married to Stacey, had suffered depression in the past, sparked by the death of his younger sister Leanne from heroin abuse in 2008.

Former England team-mate Sean Long said he had spoken to the hooker, who played for Leeds, Wigan, Bradford and Wakefield, on Saturday and he seemed happy.

He added: "He was running a fund-raising event in his pub and he was in good spirits. Then I got the phone call today to say he was dead. It's devastating.

"Terry was such a nice bloke I cannot believe this has happened. The highlight of his career was playing for his country.

Advertisement - article continues below »

"Terry was a tough bloke on the pitch but a top guy to have a pint with."

Newton lost his contract with Wakefield due to the drug scandal. His coach at the club, John Kear, said: "He is a modern day great of the game who will be sorely missed. This is was a so tragic."

Rfl chairman Richard Lewis added: "We are deeply shocked and saddened by the news of Terry's untimely death."

Two-times Challenge Cup winner Newton's body was found at his home in Orrell near Wigan. After being suspended by the Anti-Doping Agency, the fearsome forward bought a pub with his father-in-law and started a new career as a landlord.

But in a TV interview three weeks ago, he admitted he wanted to play again.

Newton said: "Every day I wish I was going to training with the lads. I miss the craic."

The star, who grew up on one of Wigan's toughest estates, began experimenting with hGH in July 2009 while injured. He was so impressed by how it speeded up recovery that he carried on injecting it.

After becoming the first sportsman in the world to test positive for the drug, he said: "I regret my stupid mistake. But I'm positive about the future."

Guy's I talk to on an English Rugby League forum are devastated with the news of his death especially Bradford and Wigan fan's whom he played for

Tragic just tragic. I lost a mate in similar circumstances earlier this year. It stays with everyone for years

Former-Great-Britain-hook-006.jpg

Poor bastard.

Rex that is well said and sums up what we were trying to tell my mate.

Some people don't see that and it is such a shane and such a waste

He didn't want to inflict pain on others or to end his life.  He just wanted to end the pain.  Any of us who have a habit of believing our painful thoughts to be the truth, is ultimately exposed to the same risk of suicide.

Unfortunatly for these poor people depression is not something you can just turn off because a mate has told you its silly.

Football was his life,in his view his life was over and i feel for him that he didnt think he had anything left to live for

Complete shame.....

this is where the league should step in and look after these players who are hang out to dry. Look at Carney - he was taken in by a publican up north and got to see what people really look like when intoxicated. When these guys are sacked by club or ban by the NRL they become somelse problem.
Players need someone to fall back on when things like this happen because their best friends are a part of the club they leave..

Sad sad news  

No-one's immune, doesn't depend on IQ, popularity, or any other way we are identified.

he made his own choices so stiff sh%T i say selfish act anyway needed to harden up a bit a lot more poeple with bigger problems then that and there not killing thm selfs

toovs link said:
he made his own choices so stiff sh%T i say selfish act anyway needed to harden up a bit a lot more poeple with bigger problems then that and there not killing thm selfs

it doesn't sound like you have had anyone close to you go through this or do this, because I tell you, your attitude would be different. My thoughts were similar to yours, but my world view changed significantly after my mate passed.

Flip link said:
Unfortunatly for these poor people depression is not something you can just turn off because a mate has told you its silly.

That's the thing, people's reasons vary, and depression seems like the immediate point of blame, it just seems the easy thing to do. After February I am not convinced it was depression, I was the last mate to see him alive and shared a beer with my mate the night before he did it, he wasn't depressed, he just didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel after his marriage was breaking down, he thought that things would never improve.

He certainly wasn't depressed he just did not have the coping mechanisms since he had never been through a breakup before.

If he knew what it had done to his friends, he would never have done it, though it has brought some of us closer together. The thing is they just aren't thinking about the ones they leave behind and in some cases, it is foolishly done out of spite.

I saw his kids and wife yesterday, they popped around as they are moving to Brisbane, I feel so bad for his kids!

A day does not go by that I don't think of my mate, in fact I go an visit his grave every few weeks, he was a mad Saints supporter, so I fill him in on their progress. He was on my Oz tag team and honestly a nicer more giving bloke you would never meet.

Such a shame and such a waste, 3 young kids left behind that now have to cope with a second suicide in the family (my mates dad did the same thing a few years ago)

Toovs that is a farce

As if people with mental illnesses have any control over it?

Dan link said:
he wasn't depressed, he just didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel after his marriage was breaking down, he thought that things would never improve.

A whole industry based on encouraging those circumstances and its happening everywhere. Your father, brother, son etc.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8