Dragons Left Side Defense Structure.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not taking anything away from our nice right side plays but Hornby, Nightingale and Cooper have major defensive structure issues and it was well exploited by Manly.

Outside defenders sitting back on the first and second tackle is unacceptable in the modern game. Very rarely do halves kick for outside backs that early so there is less risk in moving forward.(it does happen occasionally though)

Many times Cooper was not coming up and in far enough or coming out of the line to snuff out the second man play---he was sitting back and sliding.

Hornby and Nightingale were sitting back even deeper in a staggered fashion just asking for trouble---sliding and going backwards eventually will force an outside defender to defend inside shoulder creating a 2 on 1 even when they have the numbers.( your moving backwards so your forced to eventually cave in as the attack is getting within 10m of the try line and momentum through the tackle might be enough to score)

What was more encouraging and i've touched on this before is seeing DCE staying more central in the red zone---ball playing just left or right of each post with flat decoy runners holding the more central defenders at bay. We still have a fair way to go with our attack--- we are still predominantly scoring tries at the extreme edges. I want to see more variation and hard straight line up the middle tries or closer to the posts.

Usually when Manly play the Dragons we have had success in the past attacking behind the markers or splitting them both in the red zone or in general play working up the field. The Dragons did try and limit Ballins ball playing time in the red zone to prevent him drifting and dummying as often as he does---his lack of sharpness does not help either especially on a heavy wet pitch.

We do have issues with our go forward but considering we had players out such as Williams x2 Matai and King it's to be expected. In the not too distant future even at present it may become too big of an issue to ignore we need to start injecting some youthful explosive mobile go forward but i'm sure the brains trust at Manly is aware of this.

"some youthful explosive mobile go forward"
Like JWH,Tasi,T Rex and Lussick 2 gone and 2 probably gone.

Cooper and Hornby were diabolical last night. Soward poor as well. That team lacks any confidence in their own waning ability. When they took the two points, ten metres out and with six plays, that was the ball game. Even the Saints supporters near me were bemoaning their heart.

Red zone? Defense?
These are American football terms/spellings.
I like our four touchdowns, though!

mickqld said:
"some youthful explosive mobile go forward"
Like JWH,Tasi,T Rex and Lussick 2 gone and 2 probably gone.

You can only retain what you can afford so it may not be a case of not wanting to keep them or not being aware of our lack of explosive go forward.

What i will say is that the NRL is still(in relative terms) in the early stages of the same transition that happened in the NBA and NFL in relation to a predominantly white sport changing it's colours. There is a sea of untapped players who have the explosive body mechanics required for the modern game so it's important our talent funding is directed towards the best scouts and best technical coaches to mould these players into NRL level go forward.

With the right scouting,coaching and attacking/defensive structure patterns on top of a good tight disciplined culture at the club we should not always be sucked in to paying top dollar to retain established talent if we play our cards right.

The Who said:
Red zone? Defense?
These are American football terms/spellings.
I like our four touchdowns, though!

Yeah i have a bad habit of using the American form of spelling with "defense" but Red Zone is commonly used now in the NRL instead of "inside the quarter or 10m line."

I'm not even a big follower of American sports other than the NBA so i really have no excuse just bad habits and a poor education level on clear display.

You are certainly right TC, Trex will be a huge loss if he goes. We could defiantly use a consistent young mobile forward.

They were woefull.

Put boots on ricky walford, mark coyne and noel goldthorpe could have done a better job last night!

voicefromthehill said:
torana355 said:
You are certainly right TC, Trex will be a huge loss if he goes. We could defiantly use a consistent young mobile forward.

Yes we are going to do that and I don't care what you say!
Lol spellcheckers fault. :p

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7