Don't kill the pig

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
boo.gif

- Then my job is done! :cool:
That will be a sad day. :ox: (I know, but it's the closest I could find to a moose)

The emotion was raw, powerful, inexplicable. The reaction overtook any rational, logical relationship to the actual event.

Is this necessarily a bad thing to be resisted and fought?

we are not rational beings with emotional capabilities. We are more fundamentally emotional beings with some capability for rationality.
Emotion running rampant over logic and causing harm as a result can be seen daily in any pre-school age gathering. It is essentially a childish reaction, it can be described as primitive as it is the opposite of what civilised behaviour means.

Your Dianna experience is simply another example of emotional reactions spreading through a population to a greater degree than some think justified. Many men I know were visibly rocked about Phil Hughes, whereas women (obviously not cricket buffs) were walking around going 'WTF, so what?'

Understanding what is happening is key. If the sky really is falling then mad panic might be quite appropriate. Primal fear overtakes, but sometimes that is based on false information or assumptions. Meanwhile, yes mad panic does cause a lot of harm and damage, and so yes, it is a bad thing and is to be resisted and fought. Not by repressing emotion ('passion' as we call it here) but by enlightenment as to what is really happening, and what are the real forces at play.

It's amazing how the 24/7 News cycle and Social Media have affected our lives.

My two daughters refuse to allow me to watch the News when I'm in their houses, or at least where their children ( aged from 4-8) are around.

They reckon it's just depressing and they don't want their kids exposed to it.

Sports news is much the same, Silvertails ( especially when most are in a wrist cutting mode ), Facebook, Twitter ( I'm not Instagram but it would be the same), coming at you non stop , if you chose to look.

It's why I love " going bush", throw a line in, light a camp fire, cook a camp oven , down a few XXXX's ( yes sadly I have converted ) and look at the stars........now that folks is living!!

I don't think having a dislike button is a good idea for forum harmony, but I don't want to kill the pig either.
I know the rainbow icon says it means"optimistic ",but will be meant as something different when I use it .

I love coming onto this forum and just kicking things around with other posters. In a world full of political correctness, it's nice to know that you don't always have to be 100% rational.

Big willy interview. Mckinnon thing was a freak accident. He was not politically correct so everyone in the media has to disagree.

I love coming onto this forum and just kicking things around with other posters. In a world full of political correctness, it's nice to know that you don't always have to be 100% rational.
Yes I believe the recommended proportion is 78% rational.

One Eyed Eagle, now that does go a little way back.

I first started on Forums with a guy named Bryan Gaensler ( who was young Australian of the year ), an Astro physics genius.

I forget what his forum was called but that would have been mid to late 90's.

And yes I probably did 10,000 on OEE and about the same on MWSE, so Dan could change my count to 30,000 if he likes!!
Your a message machine!!! Mark

I disagree with your stance on hatred SER8.
It does not lower us to "their" level. It is born of our own superiority and totally independent of on-field results.
Ah yes, the teams/players/fans we love to hate.
Problem being, tribal rivalries will soon be consigned to the dustbin of history as the NRL allows player movements seasons in advance.
We now have to look at a host of opposition players and wonder if we like them because they might end up at Manly in a year or so.
Worse, we have to hate our own current players who are moving on because they obviously weren't committed to the club.
With the corollary even more crazy: we have to pretend the new players we'll sign are not just coming for money, they really truly are deeply committed to the club forever.
Hating the opposition can be funny, hating your own starts to look a tad cannibalistic.

Ah yes, the teams/players/fans we love to hate.
Problem being, tribal rivalries will soon be consigned to the dustbin of history as the NRL allows player movements seasons in advance.
We now have to look at a host of opposition players and wonder if we like them because they might end up at Manly in a year or so.
Worse, we have to hate our own current players who are moving on because they obviously weren't committed to the club.
With the corollary even more crazy: we have to pretend the new players we'll sign are not just coming for money, they really truly are deeply committed to the club forever.
Hating the opposition can be funny, hating your own starts to look a tad cannibalistic.

Of course @SeaEagleRock8 , no one just comes for the money do they ??

Congrats...

How do you get to do all of these posts?
Do you have a day job?
I need you to contibute to my pension...

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4