Don't kill the pig

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
On the occasion of my 10,000th post on Silvertails, I claim the indulgence of some musings.

The topic: What Silvertails means to me.

Some 8 or 9 years ago I discovered the club's official website and its fan forum, my first forum experience, and when that forum bit the dust a few years later I gratefully took up membership here and started posting on Silvertails.

Around the time I joined, plenty here were bemoaning the so-called dumbing-down of the forum following the great immigration from the defunct club forum to Silvertails. The unwashed herds and riff-raff (like me) that floated ashore with the wreckage from SS Manly Fan Forum.

At the time I thought those complaints were a tad precious or cliquey, though it's true enough that the archetype of the rugby league supporter is no sophisticate. In fact he's far more lumpen than enlightened, and typically characterised by all the chauvinism and prejudice commonly associated with the social class from which the game sprang.

So, were the Silvertails a cut above? Were modern Manly fans even supposed to be?

And what was this Silvertails mantra I heard from time to time: 'Mediocrity will not be tolerated'? I don't know its exact origin, but it immediately brings to mind our teams, players, and probably also our coaching staff and management. As a catch cry it is apposite now as ever it was.

And ought it not apply equally to Manly fans right here on Silvertails??

I commend Silvertails members to treasure this site. As we know, it's where we can get news before it becomes news. It is where we can amuse and inform each other, vent our rage and joy, or sometimes even enlighten and inspire.

I treasure Silvertails, but like everything else it changes, develops, and evolves.

Not always for the better.

How easy has it been to be a Manly fan during the last 10 years? But how revealing has it been to see just how quickly the commentary on this forum has descended to a primitive and distinctly unattractive level as the team's fortunes slumped?

Temper tantrums, the sense of self-entitlement, the need to blindly blame and to lash out. At times with pure unadulterated hatred. I could go on, it is not a pretty picture.

Could it be that a rebuilding phase is too emotionally confronting for some of our staunch members?
Does it eat at their shaky self-esteem to see us on the bottom of the ladder?
Is it true that the only explanation for our demise is that players are liars and spoilt and a 'cancer', and others are not first grade standard?
We hear that Zorba is a cancer, Foran is a cancer, Watmough is a cancer, I've even heard Brett Stewart and Matai referred to in this vein (and never mind that all of those people have won premierships as players for Manly). The CEO is incompetent. Players aren't even really injured, they just lack heart. Penn is a simpleton. Can Toovey even coach?

Foran is slammed – no, worse that slammed, he is vilified and slandered – for playing a test match when unfit, yet it was Manly who deemed him fit and sent him out to play the previous week, which he did and helped our team to a great win over Melbourne!

There are plenty of legitimate questions about the sudden fall of our team, but get a grip. Some of the emotional hyperbole here currently is frightening, it really is Kill the Pig stuff and does none of us any credit.

In fact, as of right now, I'd say Manly rates on a 'civilised fan' scale about the same as our team does on the competition ladder, if recent posts here are anything to judge by.

We're not bottle-throwers, nor will we be the on-line equivalent. Silvertails - to me - means we don't let fellow posters get away with mediocrity. We'll be sceptical of un-named sources. We'll question false logic. We'll challenge prejudice, mean-spiritedness and bullying.

By all means let the criticisms be scathing. Let the jibes be cutting, let all our affections be fleeting, for that is the right of every fan!! But also let's remember who we are, we support a club with an unmatched record of accepting nothing less than excellence, why should we accept less from each other? There is a vast difference between anger and hatred; a vast difference between pulling no punches and viciousness. We are civilised, we pursue excellence, we are the Silvertails.

So as the proud newest member of the 10000 club, I offer a simple challenge: live up to the history of this site, and the club we all follow. Do not belittle this unique on-line community with childlike repetition of the same point ad nauseum! Swear if you must but do not demean us by substituting oaths and asterisks for a genuine effort to express what you really think and feel! And don't abuse the generous anti-censorship spirit of the site by posting without due regard for the feelings of others. Silvertails rules, and Go Manly!

Because today my friends, I declare to be Silvertails Independence Day!
independence_day.jpg

Welcome to the 10,000 club, only about 10 of us up there at present but the way many are going lately that will soon change.

By the way agree with what you said, I was a bit guilty of just miserable posting myself, I have turned a leaf and now it's 90% positive.

And I feel better as a result !!

Thanks Mark. But I'm not overly concerned about being positive versus being pessimistic, and certainly I'm not on the True Supporter bandwagon. However we always demand a certain standard from our team, and over the years we've kept up certain standards here as well. That - and the apparent swift demise of civilised behaviour as soon as we no longer had the comfort of a winning team - is what I've been thinking about as I neared my milestone!

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
God knows how many post's i have done since the One Eyed Eagle days. But for some reason it says I have only made 800 or so. I couldn't be bothered asking Dan to find them because I think Dan does enough if not too much already and I don't want to waste his time on something that to me is as irrelevant as a "Jye Mullane" thread. Secretly part of me would like to know though HaHa. Although It helps my stats my likes are at 55.28% that wouldn't be the case if my old posts were there. Congrats on your 10,000 SER8

Last edited:
Please delete your post.

there is no place for anything resembling thought out, well phrased musings these days :)

keep up the good work.

One Eyed Eagle, now that does go a little way back.

I first started on Forums with a guy named Bryan Gaensler ( who was young Australian of the year ), an Astro physics genius.

I forget what his forum was called but that would have been mid to late 90's.

And yes I probably did 10,000 on OEE and about the same on MWSE, so Dan could change my count to 30,000 if he likes!!

Great 10K post SER8.

I have noticed in the last couple of weeks since things seem to be taking the turn for the better that the posts have gotten more positive (with the exception of the sentiment towards Foran).

After Rd13 if we have announced some good signings (or retained a certain halfback) that the forum will return to its pre-November 2014 state.

10,000 posts at a fair clip too. Well done.

Nice post to celebrate the milestone. I agree with your sentiments regarding the vilification of Foran and Cherry Evans, some of it has been embarrassing, especially when it targets their families. I'm all for free speech, but it's nice when it's actually worth the effort, not just a waste of bandwidth.

Some people just need to take a reality check and move on. It's not the end of the world, not even the end of Manly Sea Eagles, so why the outright hatred ? So they are going to play for another team...big f$%king deal !!! That's their loss, not ours. The whole situation has been handled atrociously by all quarters, I'll grant you that, but let's move on. This place feels like an airport, there's a constant whine in the background of every thread, I think we need to book in for some therapy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6