1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't get your hopes to high

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by TerryRandall, Jul 14, 2010.

1. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    For those of us expecting a fired up Manly stung by media criticism to turn things around on Saturday night against the Sharks, I would sound a note of caution. Contrary to many on here, I honestly dont think lack of effort has been our problem - lack of execution and lack of speed are more the issues. With the notable exception of J.Perry, all our players are putting in. Some may argue that Brent Kite has been out of form, but I for one cannot fault his effort. Hodko I think is still trying, but I think his problem is more one of skill than effort. Everyone else is busting a gut (again, in my humble opinion).
    So I honestly dont think there is much "upside" for us from players trying harder based on stinging media criticism. I have watched every minute of every game this year, and our forwards have either dominated or held their own for large parts of each game. We have lost games we should have one because our halves are inexperienced and can't close out games. Lack of speed means we aren't converting opportunities, and are vulnerable to flukey counter-attacks. I would have to say that Manly has had more "against the run of play" tries scored against them than any other team.
    Bottom line - I assume many on here are expecting the boys to bounce back on Saturday based on "having a go", but I dont think this is the root cause of our problems (which are more deep-seated than that). Media criticism may also work the other way - the Sharks will now be expecting us to come out firing and will be ready for us. Hope I'm wrong of course.   

2. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,840 / 103
    If you are right then why keep picking the same team?
    As a supporter of 50 years I am becoming disillusioned at the lack of new blood into the side. It's obvious we are not performing, the reasons don't matter, so you must make some changes to try to turn things around. We have plenty of talent in the Sunshine Coast and the Under 20s, so let's give them a shot.

3. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,746 / 258
    Good question for the proposed Q & A Barry.....and welcome aboard mate, good to have you here!

4. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    We dont win many games at Shark Park

5. MissKate

MissKate Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 7
    We have won the last 3-4 games down at shark park.

Regarding all the players putting in, why then do they amble back to get in line, why do we often have no one chasing a kick or putting pressure on the fullback/winger when a bomb goes up.  Watch other teams, a kick goes up and they have 4 or 5 players chasing it, we used to be like that, we most definitely are not at the moment.  The players look bored and like they would rather be anywhere else than on the field at times.

6. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No more excuses! We are out of the eight, playing a team well below us, been heavily bagged through the media and fielding possibly our strongest team available. They say they will turn it around so if they don't i think Des will have no choice but to make some changes.

7. MPC75

MPC75 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 9
    To win this weekend we need to complete our sets by not making errors. If we complete our sets, we will have a positive attitude. This attitude will then rub off on our defence.

8. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I think it is down to a few things, one mainly is probably that after of early season late second half burnouts, dessie would have been pushing the fitness. The guys are probably all burnout and need to get there form back.

9. MPC75

MPC75 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 9
    We have blooded a couple. Young Hoppa, Whare and Buhrer (not alot of time though). I would consider Hodkinson new blood as well

10. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,746 / 258
    Welcome Romeo....or should I say "where for art thou"

11. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    And when we make a break, don't push the pass, particularly early in the tackle count.  (It's not that hard Watmough).  

Reality is we have not seen "hunger" in our side since 2008 and I don;t expect to until some of the lazy blokes resting on their laurels from 2 years ago get shopped out or threatened with Queensland Cup duties.  Particularly fellows like Kite, Perry, Watmough, Rose, Glen who are the so-called engine room.  

I think there's too much of the pissed in some of those pistons.  

12. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    Dont pusht he pass in our own half though.

King has picked up a habit of silly offloads of late. I guess he is trying to add offloads to his game, but he needs to be more selective and think about it. He has done it twice now and gotten us into trouble

13. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wasn't it just two weeks ago in the game against penrith we had a perfect completion rate in the first half. We were just outplayed by a much quicker side. I think our biggest issue is speed, or lack of.

14. reyam

reyam Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Or at the Fortress