Don’t let my brother walk away

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
SEA Eagles stalwart Glenn Stewart is keenly awaiting word from Manly about his future at Brookvale, declaring a burning desire to finish-up as a one-club player.

Whether Manly can find room in their tight salary cap to keep Stewart shapes as the most vexing point of 2014 for the Sea Eagles, who have enjoyed a relatively smooth summer to ease the pain of last year's grand final defeat.

Read More

Jethro said:
SEA Eagles stalwart Glenn Stewart is keenly awaiting word from Manly about his future at Brookvale, declaring a burning desire to finish-up as a one-club player.

Whether Manly can find room in their tight salary cap to keep Stewart shapes as the most vexing point of 2014 for the Sea Eagles, who have enjoyed a relatively smooth summer to ease the pain of last year's grand final defeat.

Read More

I would like Gifty to stay for a few more.

1. There's nothing better than to have stability in our club. That's been the difference between us and many other clubs. The old heads can put fire into the younguns.

2. Long term players can pass on good culture and experience. A player doesn't rack up close to 200 first grade games and not be of great value (especially a Clive Churchill Medal winner). His experience is priceless.

3. Not many clubs can boast players with that many 200 first grade games. Manly must have the most players with 200 1st grade games for the one club and are the envy of all NRL clubs.

Current squad that are closing in on 200:
- Gifty, Snake, Skivvy, Killer, Bally.
- Fozza has already done over 100 in his young years.
Already over:
- Choc, Kingy.

Past players with 200:
- Igor, Bozo, Thommo, Thrower, Wombat, Beaver, Nappa, Tooves, Fatty, Kitey and ..... the unspeakable turncoat.

Does any other club has more 200 game players?

CAN WE BRING BACK BEAVER FOR ONE LAST HURRAH? AFTER ALL THE PLAYERS WE HAVE LOST, SURELY, WE CAN PLAY THE BEAVER.
IMAGINE BROOKIE WITH BEAVER RUNNING ON AGAIN. IT'LL BE STANDING ROOM ONLY! WHAT A PROMO FOR THE NRL!
HE'LL COME OFF THE BENCH AND DO A BONE CRUSHING TACKLE OR SCORE THE WINNING TRY. WHAT A LEGEND.

Glenn's arm carry is just a mannerism, but good to hear that he has had a smooth off season :angel:

I believe, that as Players near the end of their careers, their contract should bar them from representative duties. The Club is penalised by either an outright injury, or just the fatigue factor as their older bodies take longer to recover :idea:

Glenn is cognisant of the complexities of the Salary Cap, so we should relax and trust in the Manly retention policy :)

Come on Greenturd and the NRL, change the rule in the cap that rewards clubs and players for loyalty and doesnt punish a player or club.

If a player has been at a club for 10 years he is exempt from the cap full stop. A club should never be forced to let a player go if hes been there all his career and wants to stay.

Glenn is a winner, to not sign him for another 2 years would be a mistake.

He could take our winning culture to another team, and we don't wont to share that.

Obviously it would be great to see him play out his career at Manly, but something has got to give. Unless the salary cap changes to help us keep long term players, we will have to lose some of the senior guys.

Our halves are now top tier players commanding top tier money and they need to be our priority moving forward. Unfortunately that means some of our senior players won't be able to finish up with us.

I'm not suggesting Stewart must go, but if we keep him we'll have to lose someone else like Watmough, Ballin or Matai etc. Either way it's going to suck, but that's just life in the NRL.

If we refuse to let any senior players go then we won't be cheering too hard in 2016-2017 when all these guys start to retire while DCE is leading Brisbane or Foran is leading the dogs to a premiership.

It is also better to lose this senior playing group gradually over several years, bringing young guys into the winning system slowly, rather than have them all retire in the space of 2 years and having to start from scratch.

If some how we can keep the core group together without breaking the rules then great, but unfortunately that looks to be impossible and sometimes business has to rule over sentimentality.

Glenn's been fading for the past 2 seasons, I'd rather him go and they use the money to re-sign Gutherson and Jake and go after an elite prop.

We let Beaver and Kitey go, never wanted to see any of these go but unfortunately it is a fact of the game.

DCE and Foz are absolute must signings. They are the best. Killer and Choc must finish their careers here. Snake is our match winner and Matty Ballin is the unsung hero. Of the others Gift and Matai are main stays but we could lose them and not suffer as badly as losing the above players. I don't want to see any of them go until they are ready to retire. This has been my all time favorite squad of Manly legends but if push comes to shove then Gift may have to be let go.

mickqld said:
DCE and Foz are absolute must signings. They are the best. Killer and Choc must finish their careers here. Snake is our match winner and Matty Ballin is the unsung hero. Of the others Gift and Matai are main stays but we could lose them and not suffer as badly as losing the above players. I don't want to see any of them go until they are ready to retire. This has been my all time favorite squad of Manly legends but if push comes to shove then Gift may have to be let go.
I saw something on the Foxsports website the other day,saying who could replace Burgess when he goes,and Choc,s name was amongst the players,could never see that happen,he bleeds maroon and white,these guys are tools that write these stories

master blaster said:
mickqld said:
I saw something on the Foxsports website the other day,saying who could replace Burgess when he goes,and Choc,s name was amongst the players,could never see that happen,he bleeds maroon and white,these guys are tools that write these stories

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-News-Five-NRL-players-who-could-replace-Burgess

I bet Steve Menzies would have been happy to play at Manly for the last 5 years of his career, probably would have been in the 2011 grand final to.

Stewart double-act on its last legs?

By Adam Lucius

When Brett Stewart turned down home-town team St George Illawarra for Manly more than a decade ago, he did so on one proviso. "I want you to sign my brother as well," he told Sea Eagles officials.

Click here to read more at Sportal.com.au

Gifty is a champion, a gutsy footballer and a legend. The problem i see is his price. I know his contract was back ended but if he is on 650K as reported this year just how much will he want moving forward. I dont buy into his form dropping off, more he has had major injury. gifty is more about determination to compete and he has bucket loads of that even if the legs are slowing a little. I would love to see him stay but he would have to really take a massive cut.

When you sign massive contracts at the peak of your career, you have to know inside that you have signed a contract that is unsustainable unless you move on to a club that is desperate and have nobody and will pay overs

Retention and recruitment is about knowing when to let go. This will be a hard decision

I agree with the vibe of most of the posts on here - Gifty is a "hope" retention not necessarily a "must", at this stage of his career at least. His current salary seems unsustainable for a 30 year old in this current salary cap climate....sad to say.

Love to keep em all but unless we start buying them all boats I don't see how we can keep someone lift gift on anywhere near his current reported deal.

If Gifty is forced out, it could seriously damage the harmony of the current group of players. Is a must keep IMO. Also think we will see a much better performance this year with an uninterrupted pre season under his belt.

the mauler said:
If Gifty is forced out, it could seriously damage the harmony of the current group of players. Is a must keep IMO. Also think we will see a much better performance this year with an uninterrupted pre season under his belt.

Yep, I've said it previously regarding other players, it's what some players are worth OFF the field that counts - but at what cost?
The Panthers replaced Petero with Kitey
The Broncos haven't been the same since Webcke hung up the boots.
We're fortunate that we have a few of these guys all together, the balancing act now is to keep everyone happy.

We have the potential to have 4-5 superstars to retire/move on within a timeframe of 2-3 seasons - Snake, Killer, Gifty, Choc, Ballin - without factoring in King or Wolfy being another injury away from it all being over too.
In all likelihood there will be a year or two where the Stewart brothers aren't playing together but I can't see them playing against each other.

If it's true that they've taken unders to keep the squad together then eventually guys will want their golden handshake, so hopefully it can be managed well and they all know that the tap on the shoulder will come and not to take it personally, ( yeah right! )
Hopefully they'll set the example for the likes of DCE, Foz ( and Jake T ) and they'll see that their massive $$ aren't far away.

Our recruitment/retention team have it all to do. Good Luck
The Great Sir Steven Menzies being back around the place can't hurt either.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7