Does toovs have tough road ahead

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Wheel said:
OK if Ryan is tipping us to win the comp then I am pretty certain we will have a dog of the year and miss the Top 8.

I am sorry but Ryan 'tips' whether it be Cuthbo on the wing, Tooves doesn't have the respect of players or any one of his million YARTS are generally always wrong.

Thanks Ryan for stuffing up our season before it even starts!

Well that was thoroughly disrespectful, belittling & distant. Even the lack of replying to me, rather speaking as though I'm standing in front of a group, while your berating me.

I hope you have a merry Christmas, and a happy new year Geoff. To you and your family mate.

You should be very proud of the post you created.

Less than a month out from trials and some of the natives are getting a bit restless ... :D

It will be a long season with drama aplenty, we can't afford to expend too much emotional energy at this time of year or we'll never make it!

Hang in there Ryan, you always provide fun "yarts" and some discussion. I enjoy what you write. Unfortunately, when people don't agree these days some resort to "put downs" and ridicule to "win". It's a shame as most on here have been long term supporters and forum members.

Ferris is one guy you love to have in your defensive line. Not afraid to tackle and does so at every opportunity (unlike many who are much bigger than he is).
In attack there is nothing better than seeing him stride out of one-legged tackles and put on instant speed. Sad to say, these were becoming less and less as the season wore on and the opposition coaches learnt his game plan.

'Tis a sad fact that he doesn't control one designated position but put simply, he is not the best player for that position.

Any word on Jamil Hopoate now that the salary cap is apparently being increased quite a bit. With a good guiding hand, could become a top footballer.

Are Ryan and The Wheel good mates or something? Could it be that these stoushes are for entertainment value. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to them both for adding spice to the proceedings

Unfortunately Ryan has no sense of humour but thanks for your best wishes, same goes for your family Ryan in 2013

Ryan said:
The Wheel said:
OK if Ryan is tipping us to win the comp then I am pretty certain we will have a dog of the year and miss the Top 8.

I am sorry but Ryan 'tips' whether it be Cuthbo on the wing, Tooves doesn't have the respect of players or any one of his million YARTS are generally always wrong.

Well that was thoroughly disrespectful, belittling & distant. Even the lack of replying to me, rather speaking as though I'm standing in front of a group, while your berating me.

I hope you have a merry Christmas, and a happy new year Geoff. To you and your family mate.

I think that someone has hacked into wheel's account Ryan.

Three coherent gramatically correct sentences in one post is obviously not wheel's writings.

Sounds like he must be staying at Alan Jones' place over the holidays and that he has hacked into his account. Probably not all that he has hacked into either.

Ryan said:
swoop said:
Ryan said:
swoop said:
Ryan said:
Agreed. But Tooves does put him there.

No-one carries a centre or winger on the bench so Tooves IS using him there as a last resort, much the same as the great "Beaver" did. Who else would you guys suggest?

When you say "no-one", I recall (as one example) Anthony Quinn at The Storm being on, and coming off the bench many times for the Storm those years ago when they were rorting the cap, and they did just fine.

I'm really not a fan of Buhrer coming on and playing in the centres. He's far too slow, and any right minded team will, and have targeted that. We all saw that quite a few times last season. With guys like Wolfman, B Stewart very unlucky with injury, and a guy like Matai who often spends large periods of games injured, a utility backline player may be really beneficial.

But "who" is the very important and appropriate question. If we want true backline utility, I'd go for Ben Farrar, if at full strength Taufua and Wolman are our wingers.

Alternatively, I'd keep the spot open for a player (noting all the veteran players in our team) that I'm looking to blood for future opportunities, and I'm thinking of players like Clinton Gutherson, Peta Hiku or at a stretch, Liam Foran (who I really, really think deserves a bigger opportunity), who could always slot into the halves, with Kieran Foran then moving further out into the back line.

Quinn also slotted into the backrow so he wasn't selected as a backup centre or winger. I'm all for blooding these young blokes but until they can cement a spot in 1st grade Buhrer is the best option as he is the utility player and hence we can carry 3 big boppers plus Buhrer on the bench. BTW wasn't it Toovey that gave Liam a crack in the top grade?

The dog hardly changed the team before he left, two reasons for this 1) All the players were a couple of years younger (Obvious) and 2) We were mostly injury free. But he never blooded or dropped many players if they were inconsistant or out of form. He occasionally had to blood some when some of our players were on rep duty or injured, but no matter how well the replacements played they were sent back to the lower grades.

I see no reason why we can't win this years comp.

I also agree that if Horo can play consistant footy and cement a top grade spot then I think he more valuable thay Williams because of his speed, agility and ball playing skills.

Toovey will be fine providing we don't have too many injuries to our key players.

To be fair, I didn't reference Des Hasler at all. This is about Manly with Toovey as coach being ahead of the rest of the competition in ideas, culture building, ability, innovation and strategy.

Understand your point about the bench though, but could maybe Liam Foran fit that bill? I think Liam is an amazing player, who was unfairly criticised by some. The kid had played 10 first grade games (your most certainly right about Toovey giving him his first start "at Manly" in the top grade), yet us fans wanted him to play like a 50 game NRL veteran, and that just never is the case.

The bench could then look like:
14. Liam Foran
15. Bopper 1
16. Bopper 2
17. Jamie Buhrer

The Boppers would be a mix of George Rose, Richie Fa'aoso, Joe Galuvao, Brenton Lawrence & Vic Mauro.

Teams are getting really fast out wide now, and I really don't think we can afford to have Buhrer in the back line again this year.

And apologies guys, this is not a thread hijack, but my comments support the fact I think our roster depth is so outstanding, that we have many, many options with quality, that should place Tooves in a very, VERY good position to do well, so the pressure on him should be pretty grand.

Ryan, are you sure you're being fair on Tooves ?
If you apply the same logic to his 1st grade coaching time as to Liam's 1st grade experience it seems that you are prepared to cut Liam some slack that you wont afford Tooves.

As far as this years playing roster is concerned I'm pretty happy with whom we've acquired given our current circumstances...granted we have a strong squad who should go close....if we don't get up I'm not going to apportion blame solely on Geoff Toovey's shoulders...it's always enjoyable to speculate about your teams upcoming season but it's a little bit over the top to say anything but winning the grand final is acceptable.

Ryan said:
The Wheel said:

I voluntarily withdraw all my Ryan pisstaking posts & henceforth promise to be more friendly and open minded about YARTS.

Getting back to the original question, "Does Toovey have a tough road ahead", well I think that setting a sail forward to win the title in 2013 would be a tough road for any coach.

Is Toovey tough and smart enough?, hell yes.

Is he capable? He has a great squad and support team and right now, in my silent moments, I think we are a good thing for 2013.

silvertail said:
Is he capable? He has a great squad and support team and right now, in my silent moments, I think we are a good thing for 2013.

And what about your loud moments Silvertail?

Agreed that Toovey is tough, smart, has a great support team and a great squad. He's also a good leader as shown during his playing days and is old enough to avoid the Nathan Brown syndrome, of several years back of being too close to the players because he'd played with most of them.

But this is not the team of a couple of years past that won and contested several grand finals. That group has either moved on or is several years older. Sure the Stewarts, Watmough, King, Kite, Ballin, Williams, Lyons and Matai are still there. But a few of them may be near the end of their time and it is whether the next generation of talented kids will be able to fill the void and instil new enthusiasm and energy that will determine Manly's chances.

The Foran-Cherry-Evans combination is obviously the foundation for the future of this team and having Johns there to assist is encouraging. But the big question is how well some of these young kids coming through will go, because I suspect it is in their hands how far Manly proceeds this year...that extra spark, that new X factor that players like Foran, Cherry-Evans, Will Hopoate, Tony Williams offered in the last two or three years.

I suspect Toovey will need a little time to settle. Good that he had such a hard year last year, because that would have toughened him. He'll have the experience of working with Hasler and Fulton to assist and a tradition that seems few other clubs can depend on.

I wouldnt expect too much this soon. But I think this year will be a year of much promise. I'm expecting about 3-4 position this year but a challenge by 2014.

true Bear about the backbones being older but other teams are in similar positions like Storm with Cam, Billy and Cooper so it will depend on the younger group being able to step up. You could probably say that Brett, Wolfie, Matai, Choc, Kingy, Glenn and Joe are going to be out injured for (fingers crossed) small to longer terms in 2013 so hopefully the excellent recruits will step up.

I think the Elephant in the room is the fact that the supporters and all a year older. With age come experience but at what cost? Perhaps if we were all younger then the team would have more success on the field and Toovey could get the Premierships he deserves.

Agree with Matabele.I think we will be clear favourites after 10 games with injury our main hurdle(as with all clubs).

I think Brisbane may be a big chance this year with the addition of Prince.He is being bagged mercilessly up here but despite his defensive shortcomings his greatest ability has always been to put runners through a hole and that is what has killed brisbane post lockyer -fantastic running athletes all over the park but zero creativity.I think that may change if he is afforded similar protection in defence(e.g Carroll) that they gave Lockyer( who was basically a fantastic attacking and organising player but a one on one turnstile for his entire carreer)

Yep Tookey they are a big chance,just thought Brisbane may be the best value at current odds.Melbourne and Souths should go well again.Cant have the sharks without a top line halfback but they will be real tough at home.Cowboys just cant win semifinals and I dont see that changing.

One caveat to my prediction re Manly is the 7 monday night games.Our record is terrible but I think some of the energy provided by some of the youngsters and new signings may go a fair way to increasing the energy levels on those low crowd/cold nights.

To me the broncos still lack genuine pack in their backline and prince is well past his best days and the same with hodges.

I cant see souths doing any better this year as their outside backs are pretty ordinary and the dogs may struggle as every coach will no doubt follow the storms defence in the GF to shut down the dogs attack. Cant see the dogs going one better with keating at half and Inu is always a choker in semi final time

Dogs need to prove doubters wrong there halfs are crap and barba can't play that well 2 years in a row. I see penrith as big improvers even without Jennings.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4