Does anyone ever shake the ref's hand?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

captainskin

Reserve Grader
One thing I have never noticed is that no player from a winning (or losing) side ever shake the ref's hand at the end of the game.

Now, I know immediately I will cop the abuse of some on here and be told they are not fit to breathe the same air as the rest of us, but in the name of sportsmanship and 'good form' I think it is fitting for (at least) the captains to acknowledge the refs and thank them for the game.

They may already do this, I don't know.

Shaking the ref's hand and either thanking him for the game, or saying, 'good game' (I'll duck for cover on the 'good game' call) is a good thing and it shows an appropriate amount of respect for the thankless and hostile position the refs are in.

I think the referees have some type of security protocol that they are all required to follow directly after the final whistle, that being, head up the tunnel to their dressing room ASAP.

Mike Eden used to. Probably went a long way towards him winning the 1983 Rothmans Medal, when he was playing for the Roosters.

Nah, refs run with their goons immediately.

Besides, the players are too busy talking, hi fiving, back slapping, and practicing their kool cat hand shakes with the opposition. They chit chat about which nightclubs they're heading to that night.

Brookvale said:
Besides, the players are too busy talking, hi fiving, back slapping, and practicing their kool cat hand shakes with the opposition. They chit chat about which nightclubs they're heading to that night.

That is my pet hate in the NRL at the moment. With players changing clubs regularly, Facebook, twitter and all that other stuff I guess there is a closer interaction than years gone by. I still like the notion of the opposition is the enemy and we do not laugh with or love the enemy. If they want to do this, do it in the sheds when I cannot see. The have spent the past 90 minutes trying to kill each other and now joking together. Dispells the fans idea of them hating each other.

Slightly off subject but did anyone see Slater's try last night. He smashed into the ref who then barrelled into 2 Titans players preventing them from tackling Slater as he heaed for the try. How the hell can that be allowed as a try. Surely it was an obstruction and should have been called back. I know if it was us there is no way we would have got the try.

eagleE said:
Brookvale said:

That is my pet hate in the NRL at the moment. With players changing clubs regularly, Facebook, twitter and all that other stuff I guess there is a closer interaction than years gone by. I still like the notion of the opposition is the enemy and we do not laugh with or love the enemy. If they want to do this, do it in the sheds when I cannot see. The have spent the past 90 minutes trying to kill each other and now joking together. Dispells the fans idea of them hating each other.

It's the fans that hate each other. The players are just our representatives out there, bashing the other group of fans players. They are mercinaries who can change clubs, fans can't. They do a job on our behalf.
When Stevie smashes the crap out of Creagh, we cheer because it represents us belting a Saints fan. It's a way for us to get it all out without the legal or health issues.
Let the players have their fun, they earn it.

captainskin said:
Billy Slater would have to after last night. See Mick's comment above. When the refs start running the block plays for the attacker then you know you are in for a good night.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
captainskin said:
Billy Slater would have to after last night. See Mick's comment above. When the refs start running the block plays for the attacker then you know you are in for a good night.

Just saw the Slater incident on the replay. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!! Slater aimed for the ref, ran into him and 2 Titans players were prevented from grabbing him. BUT.... they went to a video replay took 1 look and said try. Absolutely turned the game, appalling video refereeing. What happens when a ball is kicked into a ref he puts a scrum down. What is the difference with that incident?

mickqld said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
captainskin said:

Just saw the Slater incident on the replay. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!! Slater aimed for the ref, ran into him and 2 Titans players were prevented from grabbing him. BUT.... they went to a video replay took 1 look and said try. Absolutely turned the game, appalling video refereeing. What happens when a ball is kicked into a ref he puts a scrum down. What is the difference with that incident?

There is no difference in my opinion and especially if you read the excerpt below.

Reference:

http://www.arldevelopment.com.au/fileadmin/document_downloads/ARL_Rules_book_2012_-_FINAL_INT_LAWS.pdf

THE 2012 ARL LAWS OF THE GAME
AND
NOTES ON THE LAWS
(APPROVED BY THE AUSTRALIAN
RUGBY FOOTBALL LEAGUE)

Section 16. Duties of Referee and Touch Judges

When to blow whistle

8.1 The Referee must carry a whistle which he shall blow
to commence and terminate each half of the game.
Except for these occasions the blowing of the
whistle shall temporarily stop the play. The Referee
shall blow the whistle:
(a.) when a try or a goal has been scored
(b.) when the ball has gone out of play
(c.) when re-starting play, other than at a scrum
(d.) when he detects a breach of the Laws of the
Game, except when to stop the play would be to
the disadvantage of the non-offending team
(e.) when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the
player carrying the ball coming into contact with
the Referee, a Touch Judge, or with any person
not taking part in the match or with any object
which should not normally be on the playing field
(f.) when any irregularity, not provided for in these
Laws, occurs and one team unjustifiably gains an
advantage
(g.) when a stoppage is necessary in order to enforce
the Laws or for any other reason.

NOTES

Infringement by attacking team

If a team infringes when in a strong attacking position territorial
or tactical, the Referee should stop play promptly, unless the ball
is immediately possessed by the defending team because a
loose ball cannot be considered to be of advantage to a team in
a weak, defensive position.
Applying the advantage law does not deprive the Referee of his
power to deal subsequently with any offending player.

So it's there in black and white 8.1 (e) "....when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the
the Referee...."
I maintain these referees do NOT know the rules. This is the worst season for quality and ability of refereeing I have ever seen in 39 yrs of watching league. A susposed professional sport being judged by amateurs.Harrigan needs his head on a plater for this season of disgrace.

mickqld said:
So it's there in black and white 8.1 (e) "....when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the
the Referee...."
I maintain these referees do NOT know the rules. This is the worst season for quality and ability of refereeing I have ever seen in 39 yrs of watching league. A susposed professional sport being judged by amateurs.Harrigan needs his head on a plater for this season of disgrace.

That's the way that I read it too

Jethro said:
mickqld said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
captainskin said:

There is no difference in my opinion and especially if you read the excerpt below.

Reference:

http://www.arldevelopment.com.au/fileadmin/document_downloads/ARL_Rules_book_2012_-_FINAL_INT_LAWS.pdf

THE 2012 ARL LAWS OF THE GAME
AND
NOTES ON THE LAWS
(APPROVED BY THE AUSTRALIAN
RUGBY FOOTBALL LEAGUE)

Section 16. Duties of Referee and Touch Judges

When to blow whistle

8.1 The Referee must carry a whistle which he shall blow
to commence and terminate each half of the game.
Except for these occasions the blowing of the
whistle shall temporarily stop the play. The Referee
shall blow the whistle:
(a.) when a try or a goal has been scored
(b.) when the ball has gone out of play
(c.) when re-starting play, other than at a scrum
(d.) when he detects a breach of the Laws of the
Game, except when to stop the play would be to
the disadvantage of the non-offending team
(e.) when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the
the Referee, a Touch Judge, or with any person
not taking part in the match or with any object
which should not normally be on the playing field
(f.) when any irregularity, not provided for in these
Laws, occurs and one team unjustifiably gains an
advantage
(g.) when a stoppage is necessary in order to enforce
the Laws or for any other reason.

NOTES

Infringement by attacking team

If a team infringes when in a strong attacking position territorial
or tactical, the Referee should stop play promptly, unless the ball
is immediately possessed by the defending team because a
loose ball cannot be considered to be of advantage to a team in
a weak, defensive position.
Applying the advantage law does not deprive the Referee of his
power to deal subsequently with any offending player.

@[mickqld]

Further to what I have stated above, if you refer to the Referee’s Guidelines 2011, it could have also been a penalty.

http://www.rugbyleague.com.au/nrl/referee_guidelines.pdf

Referee’s Guidelines 2011

Page 9

MUTUAL INFRINGEMENT

In the case of a mutual infringement, play will re-start with a scrum, loose head and feed
to the team with the territorial advantage. However if in the opinion of the referee contact
(player or ball) has been made deliberately with him by the team in possession a penalty will be awarded against that team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8