Do you want Big Willie to join Manly if the price was right?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Do you want Big Willie to join Manly if the price was right?

• He could be a great addition

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way, no how, no thanks

• *Yawn* - Willie who?

• I thought I had the Big Willie

• Total voters

ManlyBacker

Winging it
He has polarised the Sea Eagles' community - time to count the Silvertails crew's opinion on whether Willie should join Manly or piss off somewhere else (maybe literally).

Absolutely. I think most of us agree that our pack last year underperformed. How could anyone argue that it WOULDN'T be a stronger pack with Willie in the squad?

I accept the points about him being a bad influence at the club, but purely from a footy-perspective you'd be mad to deny him a Manly jersey.

Beyond that it is up to Des, Lowe etc and of course Mase himself to ensure he makes the most of this chance by behaving off the field.

But on it? Come on. Mason is good enough to play in any pack in the comp (the only one I could see him missing out on a starting spot would be at Souths - and that's because they're absolutely freaking loaded up, and even then you'd do cartwheels to have a weapon like Mason coming off the bench).

Mason would be a great signing even if only for one year.

No overseas clubs want him now and he would be hightly motivated to have a huge year because if he doesn't he is on the scrap heap and his career is finished. 

However if he has a big year then he can go back on the market and probably command a big contract from some ESL club for the next few years to finish his career. 

We could win a comp with him this year that is how motivated he would be.

Upside:

- Good player when in form.
- Could be cheap, but hard to know what to believe is truth when the press is involved.

Downside:

- Has a habit of being a destabilising influence.
- Has a habit of attracting controversy, whether through action or voicing opinions.
- Form over the last couple of seasons has the smell of someone just taking the pi$$. Picking up a paycheque for minimal effort.

Based on the above you could say that at the right price he might be worth the risk. IMO the downside risk is too great though, too much rides on the ability of the club to adjust his attitude. One would imagine his short term motivation to play well would be to satisfy his ego and stick it to those at the Roosters who want to cut him. Hardly the sort of motivation that will sustain him long term and see a genuine turn around in his attitude. Too much form on the board to warrant abandoning our "no d!ckheads" policy, especially for someone who's best performances are well behind him.

I don't believe Hasler can bring out the best in him.  He has a history of chafing against firm leadership.  I don't care how much stronger he'd make the forward pack - he would weaken the pack and the entire team through his destabilising influence, ill discipline and lack of respect for authority. 

In 2008 we were a champion team - we won't regain that chemistry by bringing this bloke in. 

"If the price was right" is a key point - at 50k you just about can't lose even if he is a massive c0cksmoker, at the more likely 150-200k you are far better off trying to keep the likes of Foran. 

He's got a 70% approval rating amongst the most critical of fans.  Where's the rift?  I'd see it if it was fifty fifty.

I went the sign him option.  I would have rathered whatever Des decides.  He seems a tool etc etc but Des and the other staff know more than me so if they want to take a punt I will back it.  If he gets back into form he would be great for us.  You need to take a risk every now and then. 

No, I don't like him.
Sure when he's on his game, not being an idiot, focusing and remembering that thing called respect, he could be a valuable asset and help any team he plays for.

But he's a has-been that has too many issues, including too often a dodgy attitude.
I would honestly hate to see him don the Maroon & White.

Look he's form has been average since he left the bulldogs i think any player that has been at the roosters under fitler didn't really inspire.I think under hasler the mongrel could be brought out of him give him a go i reckon.

Current voting is 26 for Willie to join (almost 80%) and 5 against. So far the Silvertails tribe has clearly spoken. If it is a done deal I'll get a signature for Mata on the Fan's Day, 5th Feb (and get some of those famous doodles at no extra charge) hehehe

If Jack the Ripper or Ivan Milat could win us a comp I would sya sign them. Results count, Will Styles is right how props (Kite/Perry) hardly set the world on fire last year, Big Willie might just be the bloke who can give us the extra room to allow our halves to blossom.

I'd sign him.  He would be a bargain at around $50K or thereabouts.

Aren't we in the game to win?  If so we should buy the best available players at the best possible price.

If he signs good if he doesn't ho hum we'll still be a bit of a force this year anyway.

By the way I'm on of the 80% in favour of him being a Sea Eagle.

In 2008 Kite won the Clive Churchill medal, which was the first time in a while that a prop won. He was and is a champion, the next year with some old heads missing he had an average year as did many others no doubt for many reasons to numerous to rehash.

What I'm saying is Des obviously thinks we need to inject something to help Kite and Perry get going again and take the free yards up the middle like in 08.

Personally I don't think Mason is the man to do it, but his potenial as a potent attacking weapon is undeniable if he is willing to have a go.

If this costs us signing Foran longterm or keeping Watmough or Lyons I for one will be extremely disappointed that we are doing a "roosters" and raiding the piggie bank for players ahead of keeping home grown talent.

I voted for him.
He has won a premier ship and plays well with a dominant forward pack.

It will give our halves more confidence when we're on a roll on and going forward.

He will add another dimension to our strong forward pack, given our back row are all low to the ground.

These would be my conditions:

Absolute Minimum wage.
1 year only
any stuff ups, intstant dismissal

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8