Do the players care?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
On the question of the players caring, I think some care more than others. Which of course is true, some players are passionate and are giving that every little bit they can, whilst others whilst still caring aren't perhaps giving that little extra.

People have said they are professional athletes of course they care. But we are all professionals with our jobs, and do you really think that everyone you work with cares as much about the company as you do? Or vice versa? Of course not, some care more, some care less. Some don't give a flying rats... Some are in it for the company the whole way, some are in it for themselves full stop.

I think the reality is there is a disconnect, and that's making everything terribly disjointed.

The answer is yes.

When I was close to the club in a professional sense , there were opportunities for some one on one discussions in a casual sense .

I got invited to a poker game, maybe 2007/8 , after a few beers, and a few Bourbons I got game and said " listen do any of you guys read the fan forum Silvertails".

I won't tell you who was at the table but there was a chorus of " of course we do".

And I don't know about Kelly but Grant & Dave spent hours on here.

So not only players, management as well.
Interesting post Mark . I also remember when Larissa was in charge of membership she would often post on here. I am sure a lot of players and staff read this forum. It is highly addictive.

As a united team , the answer is NO.....

Just watch after full time , how happy this team is smiling , chatting , laughing after they just lost... ( embarrassed by opponents ).

i remember listening to monday night footy on triple m last year , i dont remember who was playing but after the full time , sterlo made a comment along these lines
" there is too much smiling & laughing & carrying on with the winning opponents these days after a loss for my liking , when i was playing after a loss , i couldnt wait to get back in the sheds to listen to my coach & team mates on how we went wrong and how winning the following week was a priority "

gone are the days playing with pride , it all about the pay cheques

The answer is yes.

When I was close to the club in a professional sense , there were opportunities for some one on one discussions in a casual sense .

I got invited to a poker game, maybe 2007/8 , after a few beers, and a few Bourbons I got game and said " listen do any of you guys read the fan forum Silvertails".

I won't tell you who was at the table but there was a chorus of " of course we do".

And I don't know about Kelly but Grant & Dave spent hours on here.

So not only players, management as well.

Gee, I hope that they don't read this drivel...
(at the very least, I hope that the players don't believe anything posted here!)

Gee, I hope that they don't read this drivel...
(at the very least, I hope that the players don't believe anything posted here!)

I'm sure they have a giggle at times at us armchair experts , picking sides , suggesting playing techniques and being down on certain players .

Probably it's no wonder Blair is crap, he reads this and believes it!

Foran cares. He said in todays Australian that he hopes he has a really good game for Manly this weekend so he gets picked for the Kiwis....
"The Sea Eagles go into the game in last place while the Storm share the premiership lead.

Foran’s desire to play has been enhanced by the looming prospect of playing for New Zealand in next week’s Test against Australia — he only has to take his place against the Storm to secure his place in the Kiwis side.

“If I miss that I would be bitterly disappointed,” Foran said.

“I am working hard to get back on the field for Manly on Saturday. If I can do that and have a really good game, hopefully I can put myself in the selectors’ minds.”
I don't usually hope a player gets injured but in his case I'm prepared to make an exception....nothing major, just enough to keep him out of the Test would be fine, say around the 79th minute...

Last edited:
As a united team , the answer is NO.....

Just watch after full time , how happy this team is smiling , chatting , laughing after they just lost... ( embarrassed by opponents ).

i remember listening to monday night footy on triple m last year , i dont remember who was playing but after the full time , sterlo made a comment along these lines
" there is too much smiling & laughing & carrying on with the winning opponents these days after a loss for my liking , when i was playing after a loss , i couldnt wait to get back in the sheds to listen to my coach & team mates on how we went wrong and how winning the following week was a priority "

gone are the days playing with pride , it all about the pay cheques
Yes why would Foran care of we win or not. The kiwis will still pick him in the test team and he still receives $12,500 each week whether he turns up or not.

Toovey can go some way towards restoring credibility if at some time this year he drops Foran to NSW cup because of his continued poor form.

Foran cares. He said in todays Australian that he hopes he has a really good game for Manly this weekend so he gets picked for the Kiwis....
"The Sea Eagles go into the game in last place while the Storm share the premiership lead.

Foran’s desire to play has been enhanced by the looming prospect of playing for New Zealand in next week’s Test against Australia — he only has to take his place against the Storm to secure his place in the Kiwis side.

“If I miss that I would be bitterly disappointed,” Foran said.

“I am working hard to get back on the field for Manly on Saturday. If I can do that and have a really good game, hopefully I can put myself in the selectors’ minds.”
I don't usually hope a player gets injured but in his case I'm prepared to make an exception....nothing major, just enough to keep him out of the Test would be fine, say around the 79th minute...
The Manly fans would call it karma if he was injured or not picked for the kiwis.

I don't believe the players care enough.
They are the modern rugby league player - turn up to training, play their structures, tell the media the right things. That's what they get paid for and the money is in the bank.
The bit that money doesn't pay for is little bit of extra spirit, the desire to truly bond and be a team no matter what,the putting of the body on the line, and the attitude after losses.
That's the part missing in spades.
You can hear it when the players talk about each other - they talk about each other as if they meet for one hour each Friday morning, but otherwise never say a word to each other and have no interest in each other as human beings. The mantra of "he has to do whats best for himself and his family and I respect that" does in no may suggest they are friends,
NYEagle

I don't believe the players care enough.
They are the modern rugby league player - turn up to training, play their structures, tell the media the right things. That's what they get paid for and the money is in the bank.
The bit that money doesn't pay for is little bit of extra spirit, the desire to truly bond and be a team no matter what,the putting of the body on the line, and the attitude after losses.
That's the part missing in spades.
You can hear it when the players talk about each other - they talk about each other as if they meet for one hour each Friday morning, but otherwise never say a word to each other and have no interest in each other as human beings. The mantra of "he has to do whats best for himself and his family and I respect that" does in no may suggest they are friends,
NYEagle

BUT ( and I don't know what you do for a crust) at your work now are there people you really like, people that are ok, and some that are just pains in the butt.

But guess what,we get up each day, go to work, do our jobs and if we don't like the place we move on.

Point in question at Manly, most are professional some are moving on as they no longer feel the love or can get a bigger payday elsewhere.

Not liking someone at your work is no good reason to not do your work!

Hope Foran does produce some decent form - keep hearing the work ethic is there at training & this week it will show on the field for the past 4 weeks from various players....but the intensity at game time is similar to a trial match imo.
If the Manly side has been 95% in attitude over the past decade, its been 55% at best in 2015.
Losing is not the only issue - its the effort.
This thread is fair - but not on ALL players, as it only takes 2 or 3 players not digging in to sink a ship in this competition.
As a Tooves fan I plead to pick a team on form & forget big names getting a start based on what they DID, as all thats important in 2015 is what they do NOW.

Mark you make good points.

Thankfully I enjoy my job, and yes I do have people I like a lot and some I like not so much.
But if I was involved in an activity where we are have a common clear and transparent goal, where each member was under complete scrutiny, all that crap with people I don't like so much I would drop in a heartbeat and would work with them to create the best possible result for the team.

I can understand people in office mailing it in on occasion, but the players on the field?. I just don't get it, they must have really big egos.

All this crap is so 1999. The last time I remember Manly being over $4.00 head to head was against Canberra that year when they played down there. I couldn't believe it possible that players like Kosef, Gartner, Menzies, Cliffy, Toovey, Hill could be that bad. They lost about 48-12.

16 years later, I still can't understand how this kind of thing happens.

NYEagle

But Mark, most of us are doing the job we have to do.

These guys got the dream job. Rock Star, Actor, Footy Player, whatever. They got the break, had the talent and it worked out for them. To compare them to a bunch of suits drudging in on the bus to the city or a bloke packing boxes is a bit unfair. Compare them to the Stones. Still touring, still busting their arse long after they have any need for money, long after their abilities have subsided. They still do it for the fans and for the buzz. Sure they get paid, so do the players. That's the attitude you'd think would be over riding.

Nope you watch him have a blinder for us on Saturday, play a MOTM game for the Kiwi's and then pull up
injured for 6 weeks after!!
With his hammy injury, why doesn't Manly stand Foran down from rep games?
He has turned into Gal, playing in Rep games, then sitting out Club games whilst collecting contract monies :mad:

The Cows are putting Scott into cotonwool @:cool:

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7