Do referees not penalise marker defenders anymore?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Noticed not just in our game but a couple of other games over the weekend that it's seemingly impossible to get a penalty these days for marker defenders not being square. Is this all part of Bill Harrigan's "no penalties" approach to the game?

yeah there were some shockers last night. It seems we are going back to the 90's side by side markers.

I can't be too upset we got away with a whole heap last night and the reffing was pretty even across the park

The standard of refereeing last night was universally poor. Parra were standing in front of them all night. Very annoying. Forward passes let go, and a double movement try allowed. You either have refs or not. I'd be checking the betting sheets if I was on the Commission.

And allowing a blatant knock-on from crack man was ridiculous.

I'd rather see a game with minimal penalties, Players are too busy trying to milk penalties these days and I think the refs are not playing that game anymore. I know they are just trying to get an advantage for their team but how about they just worry about playing.

Robbie Farrah continually runs from dummie half straight into markers to get a penalty, from what I've seen this year it's not working so either pass the ball or have a decent crack. Then you have third man in Thaiday, everytime he gets tackled he gets up throwing his arms around whinging, it's rugby league Sammy, your meant to get tackled. And the list goes on. Players seemed more focused on trying to influence the refs than actually playing the game.

I don't mind lattitude being given to the markers because it helps design what its stopped to do and that is discourage dummy half running which is a good thing.

Masked Eagle said:
I don't mind lattitude being given to the markers because it helps design what its stopped to do and that is discourage dummy half running which is a good thing.

Totally agree. Penalties for piddling offences often change the result of a match. Let it flow as much as possible.
While not defending the refs on Monday night, I applaud one instance when Choc was partly tackled and then got up and ran again. The ref used his common sense and instructed Choc to retreat a few paces and play the ball.

Other refs would have penalised him.

The Who said:
Masked Eagle said:

Totally agree. Penalties for piddling offences often change the result of a match. Let it flow as much as possible.
While not defending the refs on Monday night, I applaud one instance when Choc was partly tackled and then got up and ran again. The ref used his common sense and instructed Choc to retreat a few paces and play the ball.

Eels supporters claim he lost the ball but apparently the two refs were saying something different hence the confusion from not only choc but the Eels defender. I agree, the ref brought some common sense into his decision and he'll probably get punished for it because its not the rules but a good call by him.

The Who said:
Masked Eagle said:

Yes I wish that were applied more often

DSM5 said:
The standard of refereeing last night was universally poor. Parra were standing in front of them all night. Very annoying. Forward passes let go, and a double movement try allowed. You either have refs or not. I'd be checking the betting sheets if I was on the Commission.

And allowing a blatant knock-on from crack man was ridiculous.

The ruck area on Monday night's game was an absolute joke, both teams could have been pinged a few times.

The Who said:
Masked Eagle said:

Agree. Best refereeing decision I've seen for a long time. Nothing peeves me more than those penalties that are given when a player gets "tackled" and then bounces to his feet quickly and there is a momentary state of confusion about whether the ref has deemed it a tackle or not. One of two things happen.

Attacking player takes off again and is penalised
Defending player thinks attacking player is going to take off and tackles him again and is penalised.

Annoys the hell out of me, and is a prime example of how stupid refereeing can ruin a game.

The latest whistle swollowing craze, and this happened on monday night at a crucial time for us late in the game when we were trailing, is when the refs yell out to the defenders at a scrum that they're off side and then doesn't penalise them. Its usually when the ball takes a bit off time to get out of the scrum and the defendes move up early. Reckon i see it atleast once a game.

how about walking off the mark or not being square when playing the ball. In the lead up to one of NSW tries in O2 I think it was Tim Mannah was tackled and walked forward about 5 metres and got a quick play the ball in, and they scored off the next play.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2