Disgraceful

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matabele link said:
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=180484.msg224454#msg224454 date=1243158665]
[quote author=Lachie link=topic=180484.msg224452#msg224452 date=1243158424]
Whether we were one point up or 20 it makes no difference.

The decision was a poor one and this instance as we were one point up it cost us the game. I agree with Des's comments that two teams played their guts out and the Ref decides the winner. Thats not what this game is suppposed to be about.

Now I know how the Dogs fans felt.

I was pissed off after this happened to the dogs last week and I hate them - for it to happen again the week after and the video ref not to advise the on field official he had made a blatant mistake is in excusable.
[/quote] 3/7 games this weekend have received the wrong result because of bad officiating.
[/quote]

Your right there, The Parra /Souths, Tigers / Broncos and us - easy to forget the others though when we are on the receiving end of it.

Fro link said:
All class as usual volley.

Now you are a bigot as well as being a wanker?

How's the saying "we got jewed" make me a bigot? Didn't the jews get hardly done by?

Is the NRL so naive to think that continual bad ref decisions will not effect how fans view the game?
It's like the refs are bigger than the game itself and who cares how the players perform.....The refs will ultimately decide who the winner will be.

What about the flow on from these ridiculous decisions - who will really be interested in having a flutter when you don't know how the games rules will be called on the day and by who, the senior ref? the juniour ref? the video ref? And yep hang on what is their interpretation of the rule this week? ..... ::)
Good luck to those in a tipping comp. too.....

Preston Campbell is a champion at earning his side a penalty. He does it week in week out. The commentators never comment on it. Look at the penalty against Kite in the first half. Gets up quickly & falls over. Penalty. Refs are conned everytime. Cecchin was conned again by him & it cost us the game. I've noticed this for years, but have never heard anyone else say the same thing. Are there stats recorded for penalties "earned" ??

point is how can one be conned when orford touched the ball before the player?

His play today should be in another thread, taking lessons from watmough i think in how to be a jekyl and hyde

Campbell is very good at milking penalties.  It's because he's small, and so the refs mindset is that obviously he will be the target of foul play.  That's their thinking, wrong in my view.   
Please not Ryan, I've not commented on Orford's game.  What did you think of it?

At the game it initally looked like Checcin was going to rule Matt Orford knocked it on, only to quickly change his decision afterwards.

Don't be surprised if we find out the biggest call of the game came from a touch judge.

This from a Broncos fan on LU

I was at the game myself and this all happened in front of me and to be honest at the time I thought it was two players contesting for the ball and nothing else. Yet orford had clearly knocked on and I was expecting a scrumfeed to the Titans. When the penalty was awarded I thought it was for backchat and not tackling the player without the ball. A Titans female supporter next to me said 'what's going on?' to which i replied you've just been given the game. It was disappointing to me for such a fine spectacle of a game to come down to one lousy decision by officials but that seems to happen every week in the nrl. As a bronco supporter I've been on both sides of the fence with controversy like this. And the savouring factor is 'What goes around, comes around'.

i like how we have a conspiuracy theory going that it is because the refs dont like us.

It was just a bad call. He thought he saw a foul, that wasnt there, no conspiracy to it

It's a pity that the refs insane decision decided the winner of the game. But Manly were the more dominate team and should have been way ahead on points. 5th tackle options are killing us at the moment, it has been the same all year. The players will know that they should have been futher ahead.

For the Matty lovers, yes he did score a try and kick a field goal but how many points did he butcher with his last tackle options (and how many points thru out the year) and I'm surprised no one has mentioned his pathetic drop out which went all of 30m and lead to a titans try.

I believe our main problem with converting possession into points is Orford and his options/kicking game. I'm happy for him to see out the season as Captain but FFS he has to hand over the kicking duites to someone else, it is costing us badly.

Why oh Why could we not put up a bomb and have a 50/50 roll of the dice, or put it dead and eat up time?

Dan, the answer is obvious.  It's because Orford's a stupid ball hog.  Hasler will not do anything about it except blame other factors.   

Dan link said:
i like how we have a conspiuracy theory going that it is because the refs dont like us.

It was just a bad call. He thought he saw a foul, that wasnt there, no conspiracy to it
Yes, just incompetence. What goes around...etc. Gee I hope something very good comes around to balance this one before the end of the season.

I was at the game and the incident happened no more than about 15 metres from where I was sitting.

Looking at it quickly (as the Ref did) it's a 50-50 call.

Understanding that you can't go to the Video ref these days for these types of penalties I think the main error is that the second ref didn't say to himself "ok I think this is a penalty BUT it's going to be a game defining one so how about I call on the main ref and the two touch judges for their thoughts". There were 4 sets of eyes looking at that play, it may well have still been a penalty and I'd still feel bad BUT it would be a "happier" type of bad.

The fact that ONE seat of eyes saw these and awarded a game defining penalty is what I am NOT happy about!!

I was at this game sitting right behind the posts where the Orford/Campbell incident happened. As were most Manly supporters, I was gutted. We were robbed for certain. The Manly crowd atmosphere was awesome though. I didn't realise how many Manly people are up north.

Flip link said:
Referees make mistakes. Two referees make twice the mistakes. Its simple maths really.

lol, worst maths evar. More often than not, they do get it right.

The only way 2 referees had an impact on this was that a) he was not allowed/didnt confer with the other ref (which would have happened in a single ref situation anyway) and b) he was a less experienced ref

The call was bull****, I think gus has it right in saying keep the junior ref there as a second set of eyes closer to what a touch judge does. Pick up things the other may have missed and put a word into his ear.

One thing I dont agree with is firing the ref for this or the st george/dogs incident. Why not run by those rules in normal society, 1 mistake and your out of a job. I dont think it would work to well.

CussCuss link said:
I think gus has it right in saying keep the junior ref there as a second set of eyes closer to what a touch judge does. Pick up things the other may have missed and put a word into his ear.

I totally agree with this if we are to persist with the 2 referee thing but also agree with his other suggestion to go ala the NFL and get rid of the video ref and just have some guy to run the video for the ref on the ground when he wants to check something before he has to make a ruling on a try etc.

Ryno link said:
It's a pity that the refs insane decision decided the winner of the game. But Manly were the more dominate team and should have been way ahead on points. 5th tackle options are killing us at the moment, it has been the same all year. The players will know that they should have been futher ahead.

For the Matty lovers, yes he did score a try and kick a field goal but how many points did he butcher with his last tackle options (and how many points thru out the year) and I'm surprised no one has mentioned his pathetic drop out which went all of 30m and lead to a titans try.

I believe our main problem with converting possession into points is Orford and his options/kicking game. I'm happy for him to see out the season as Captain but FFS he has to hand over the kicking duites to someone else, it is costing us badly.

If T. Williams and J. Lyon both finished off other opportunities that Orford was involved in setting up the possession would have reaped more points

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7