Disgraceful treatment of Tooves will come back to bite us

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
We are getting our troops back and winning games.

If the decision to punt Tooves and replce him with Barrett was made in he midst of the chaotic injury crisis, I really hope Tooves sticks it up them and gets us into the finals.

It's a results based business and Tooves is not immune to the sword, but he's proven to perform with most of his good players on deck.

I don't think it is going to happen, but hypothetically. If Manly go on a 2009 Parramatta style run and make it to the Grand Final and win it, what will happen to Tooves? Will Manly still fire him? Or will they tell Barrett to piss off and let Toovey keep going for at least another year?

The decision was made pre season.

I said it before a ball was kicked off this season, even if Manly win the the comp Toovey is gone. Plenty scoffed but I hope to get to see if I am right.

Results have nothing to do with this. Only the uneducated think otherwise.

Groan, here we go again.

It's simple, if we had performed like we did last season for all this season then there would be absolutely no discussion about Toovey's job and he would have seen out his contract all the way through to the end of next season. I accept that he would have been unlikely to have been extended, but that is irrelevant.

The conspiracy theorists on this Forum need to take off their tin foil hats for a little bit and understand that just a couple of weeks ago we were favourites for our first ever spoon. No Manly coach, not even Bozo would have survived that performance regardless of injuries or other circumstances. This is a results business and if the results aren't there for ANY reason then rightly or wrongly the coach is in the firing line.

The decision was made pre season.

I said it before a ball was kicked off this season, even if Manly win the the comp Toovey is gone. Plenty scoffed but I hope to get to see if I am right.

Results have nothing to do with this. Only the uneducated think otherwise.

This is bang on. There was talk off his demise before a ball was kicked.

Groan, here we go again.

It's simple, if we had performed like we did last season for all this season then there would be absolutely no discussion about Toovey's job and he would have seen out his contract all the way through to the end of next season. I accept that he would have been unlikely to have been extended, but that is irrelevant.

The conspiracy theorists on this Forum need to take off their tin foil hats for a little bit and understand that just a couple of weeks ago we were favourites for our first ever spoon. No Manly coach, not even Bozo would have survived that performance regardless of injuries or other circumstances. This is a results business and if the results aren't there for ANY reason then rightly or wrongly the coach is in the firing line.

Wrong. In saying that I am not saying Tooves does not have his issues but the decision was made well before we started losing all those games. The Barrett talk was around after a few rounds..

I don't think some younger posters on here can possibly understand what Tooves means to Manly fans. I know a player and a coach are two different roles but the little battler is the heart and soul of everything it means to be Manly and he's taken this on in both roles.
The super coach De$ only got us to the finals in 2010 due to Melbourne Storm being stripped of their points. If not for that situation our 10 year record wouldn't stand.
Judging Tooves on this year alone is wrong. Look at his coaching stats. How does BA still have a job based on stats? Tooves downfall must be due to the rift with the senior playing group and even though they're among my favourite all time players they've got a long way to go to be as Manly as Tooves.
He deserves the support of Bob Fulton and the club to see out his contract but it won't happen.
Not very happy with the club over the treatment of Tooves.

Wrong. In saying that I am not saying Tooves does not have his issues but the decision was made well before we started losing all those games. The Barrett talk was around after a few rounds..
Seriously, this time last season we were leading the Comp. Do you honestly believe there would still be talk of him being sacked if we were leading the comp? Before you answer, stop, take a deep breathe and say it out loud, "The club would still be looking to sack Geoff Toovey even if we were leading the comp right now."

I call BS.

After round 1 we had hit probably our lowest point in 10 years after being absolutely owned by the eels. We had lost our previous 5/6 matches of 2014 and it was clear we were headed for the spoon.

I think a lot of it came down to people management. There were some pretty powerful players voices raising concern (Foran / Watmough & others).

The fact that both our halves were ready and signed elsewhere would have done a lot of harm as well. We also don't know what DCE's corner was told about the coaching ranks going forward by the club.

Then you have guys like Zorba, Penn, Kelly all making decisions behind the scenes.

That, on top of a very poor start where people were pencilling us in for a wooden spoon, and we also had certain top tier players regressing.

Just a recipe for disaster.

Who know's....maybe our players have lifted, because they realise an incoming coach could easily drop them, and there are no favorites anymore?

There can be arguments either side here. I guess from my viewpoint, what will happen, will happen. I'll continue to support the club either way. I'll complain if I feel a players form has dropped off, but I'll be there.

Also, didn't I read that Toovey has an administritive deal headed his way? I'd also bet there is more longetivity in those roles than coaching. He's probably on a more secure / better wicket guys - and I also reckon he already knows, and from the look of his body language, he seems quite ok with that.

Lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Seriously, this time last season we were leading the Comp. Do you honestly believe there would still be talk of him being sacked if we were leading the comp? Before you answer, stop, take a deep breathe and say it out loud, "The club would still be looking to sack Geoff Toovey even if we were leading the comp right now."

I call BS.

Call what you like, it is a fact.

Can you see they have appointed the new coach regardless of where Manly finish this year.

If it was a results driven decision there is no way Barrett would already be signed.

The decision is already made and with the poor quality of the competition it will surprise no one if Manly end up in the big end of season games. But those in power don't care, they simply want Toovey gone.

And @Ryan one of the big problems Toovey has is he doesn't play favourites and that didn't sit well with Choc, Foz and plenty of others.

Groan, here we go again.

I think its true that the club have based their decision in relation to the player unrest that started in 2014 and carried over to this season and Toovey is the scapegoat for that. Penn made it very clear earlier in the year that any decision would be based on results and its been an unkind year for Toovey in relation that the last 2 weeks has been the only time he has realistically been able to field his best team.

I really hope that Toovey can get us into the finals and we can rattle a few cages. The reality is the draw we face makes that a monumental task.

Toovey also looks like the weight of the world is off his shoulders, maybe that is a sign that something else has been sorted out for him.

While critism of Toovey is sometimes valid we need to not get sucked into the false hope in the unknown.

Fact is, Barrett has never coached first grade. He may be the future super coach better than Bennett and Bellemy combined. But in 2016 he is a first year rookie.

To me the solution is simple. Toovey has a year to go on his contract. Barrett needs to learn the ways of the sea eagles. Barrett is tooveys assistant for one year. If it doesn't work then make it half a year.

Barrett can be the reincarnated Dalai.

Last edited:
While critism of Toovey is sometimes valid we need to not get sucked into the false hope in the unknown.

Fact is, Barrett has never coached first grade. He may be the future super coach better than Bennett and Bellemy combined. But in 2016 he is a first year rookie.

To me the solution is simple. Toovey has a year to go on his contract. Bennett needs to learn the ways of the sea eagles. Bennett is tooveys assistant for one year. If it doesn't work then make it half a year.

Bennett can be the reincarnated Dalai.

Not sure Wayne Bennett will be after an assistants role at this point of his career

Call what you like, it is a fact.

Can you see they have appointed the new coach regardless of where Manly finish this year.

If it was a results driven decision there is no way Barrett would already be signed.

The decision is already made and with the poor quality of the competition it will surprise no one if Manly end up in the big end of season games. But those in power don't care, they simply want Toovey gone.

And @Ryan one of the big problems Toovey has is he doesn't play favourites and that didn't sit well with Choc, Foz and plenty of others.
Just because you say it's a fact doesn't make it a fact.

@Ralphie

Surely the appointment of Barrett proves to you that the decision is not results driven.

Anyway, lets hope the boys keep on winning and go deep into the the finals to make the decision to move Toovs on look even more ridiculous.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7