Disappointed in Glenn Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagleE

Reserve Grader
I must say that with the issues involving the team, Glenn Stewart could have stood up, fronted the media and said to the other players publicly that they should mind their own business. What happened to him was nothing to do with them and that they should concentrate on Manly doing their best this season. I think he also should have said that it is a honour to play for the Sea Eagles and for them to continue on with that.

This would have highlighted a few things
1. He is a leader of men and not to be messed with.
2. He respects Manly and was privileged to be a part of it.
3. He cared for his brother and his mates and wants what is good for them. It would have showed the solidarity within the playing ranks.
4. It would have left him in good with the club and its fans. I for one cant wait for him to leave and to take Choc with him. I would hate for Skivvy to leave as well as Snake but would not be completely upset as we got some good talent coming through. It can free up some cash to buy up which we have not done.

There are probably other things that would have benefitted the club, his team mates and himself by doing that that I cannot think of.

I love the fact that he showed great leadership in the battle of brooky and said you cant mess with us. This season he needed to do the same.

Whether cutting him was the right call or not, I think you'll struggle to find any employee who has gone to great lengths to look after their previous employer after being given the run around and effectively sacked after years of loyal and distinguished service.

It was the club's call to cut him - but they shouldn't (and we shouldn't, imo) expect him to be the one to pick up the pieces as well.

Its all done and dusted now.

He was quick to take the vermin coin once it was clear there was no offer. I just wonder how long the vermin offer was around too?

His silence over the last 6 months in my book is telling. I think soon we are going to hear what really happened.

Will hate to see him in those terrible colours but life has to go on.

I just wish this whole episode would just end cause its murdered our season.

Fair enough.

If it were me, knowing I'd still be off to a well paying job in the same city.....I probably would have come out and asked for unity, calm, and focus.

Keeping in mind as a sports person there are thousands of fans who love the team I am playing for, and it's the same team that stood behind my brother.

I would do this whether I was injured or not.

But that's just me. *

* and I don't know all the details surrounding Glenn.

KaZa said:
put yourself in his shoes. He did well to say nothing at all imo.

If that was me. Getting shafted.. the last thing i will say is that. If anything i would have a quiet chuckle and hope they regret it.

I don't know the details of how the negotiation went down, but I suspect almost everyone on here is in the same boat. How do you come to the conclusion Glen was "shafted"?

Without knowing all the details I tend to agree with the OP. I would have had incredible respect and admiration for Glen if he had of come out and spoken as suggested, for the sake of stabilising the team (which he is still part of at this stage). If your brotherhood is so important then why wouldn't you come out and say what you know will solidify and inspire your current team mates?

Even if he was somehow mucked around in the process (which may well have happened) it's still far more impressive to stick by your team mates and do what's right for the team rather than appearing petulant and vindictive towards the club. Again, we don't know the details and there could be other mitigating factors in there, so I share that opinion within those limits.

Mitch said:
I may well be in the minority, but is there really a need for all these continually negative threads. I understand how passionate everyone on here is and just how tough this year (in particular the last month or so) has been, but constant bagging of players and or the club when no one really knows what has gone on behind the scenes does nothing to improve the situation.

The reality is we still have a team in the final 3 weeks of the competition, no matter how depleted they are, so let's enjoy that considering a lot of other supporters don't get to share in the type of success we've had and probably never will.

Count me in that minority group. That makes 2 of us

I hope he says nothing, it will be biased anyway to how he thinks it went down and as we know there's two sides to every story.

Glenn comes across as a person that is media shy. He didn't get an offer and he doesn't need to get the media involved. Offer comes through from Souths and he accepts. What do you want him to do, turn the offer down and retire?

IMO he leaves the club as a legend and has always been a professional.

Glenn to blame for a broken team? Some are scrapping the bottom of the barrel to find someone to blame for a team with injuries to key players (due to busting their asses for 26 rounds to finish equal 1st). Maybe there is anger, rifts etc but wasn't a big problem after Glenn signed for Souths.

Why would any player throw away a legitimate chance to win another premiership, division or not?

The fact remains that Glenn was a massive leader and a momentum changer. Every player around him lifted and even when he was suspended in '11 the team lifted to make sure he got back for the GF. Any money they were all hoping for the same thing this yr.

Hard to see him leave but thankful and honoured that he gave his best years to our great club.

sheridanstand78 said:
Its all done and dusted now.

He was quick to take the vermin coin once it was clear there was no offer. I just wonder how long the vermin offer was around too?

His silence over the last 6 months in my book is telling. I think soon we are going to hear what really happened.

Will hate to see him in those terrible colours but life has to go on.

I just wish this whole episode would just end cause its murdered our season.

Quick to take the coin??
He waited for nearly 9 months for an offer ffs. How long did you want him to wait?

Reported last week that he has agreed to an expose :s

What these Players don't get is, that outside of their Clubs, no one cares about them.

Seeing some of the Old Boys at Brookie, I remember how amazing some were, yet not many at the Ground are aware of their contribution. :(

Anything that criticizes Manly will be seen as bad blood. Settling scores will allienate the Members and Glenn risks becoming an untouchable like Hasler is at Brookie :cool:

But egos may rule the head :s

It will all come out in the wash soon.

I do understand that he did wait for an offer for that period of time and end of the day had to take what was on offer elsewhere.

My point being, was there an offer from the vermin on the table all along?

Its so sad that hes going and that his departure is the root of all the unrest and upheaval.

The club has to move on from this and fast!

SeaEagle21 said:
Glenn comes across as a person that is media shy. He didn't get an offer and he doesn't need to get the media involved. Offer comes through from Souths and he accepts. What do you want him to do, turn the offer down and retire?

IMO he leaves the club as a legend and has always been a professional.

Glenn to blame for a broken team? Some are scrapping the bottom of the barrel to find someone to blame for a team with injuries to key players (due to busting their asses for 26 rounds to finish equal 1st). Maybe there is anger, rifts etc but wasn't a big problem after Glenn signed for Souths.

Why would any player throw away a legitimate chance to win another premiership, division or not?

The fact remains that Glenn was a massive leader and a momentum changer. Every player around him lifted and even when he was suspended in '11 the team lifted to make sure he got back for the GF. Any money they were all hoping for the same thing this yr.

Hard to see him leave but thankful and honoured that he gave his best years to our great club.

It's not about blaming him for a broken team. In my opinion he was in a position to come forward and say some words that would have helped stabilise a broken team (especially as he is a "massive leader and momentum changer"). But he didn't. Where was his leadership when it could have made a significant difference if for nothing more than gelling a team with doubts and under intense media speculation?

Standing up and speaking is not about accepting blame or responsibility for the mess. It is about saying what is needed to move forward.

HK_Eagle said:
It's not about blaming him for a broken team. In my opinion he was in a position to come forward and say some words that would have helped stabilise a broken team (especially as he is a "massive leader and momentum changer"). But he didn't. Where was his leadership when it could have made a significant difference if for nothing more than gelling a team with doubts and under intense media speculation?

Standing up and speaking is not about accepting blame or responsibility for the mess. It is about saying what is needed to move forward.

Possibly, but again if the rest of the team kept quiet like he has whilst the season is still alive then there would be a lot less of these types of threads

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4