Different Footy Styles on show Today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
We have the structured Brisbane against ab lib Cowboys in NRL
Unpredictable Jets against structured Knights in State cup
Both styles have positives & negatives....
Structured usually wins statistically with completions & wins good field position but on the downside can be predictable & easy on the defence....restricting points scored.
This style is good for a willing team who lack the creative players to stay in a game.
Unpredictable teams play what's in front & if blessed with the Thurston/DCE style players, have the skeleton key to unlock the most stubborn defence lines.
The downside is when this style becomes chaotic, over desperate to create something Every play...
without doing the tough stuff up the middle, often leading to sideways shifts & errors.
Personally like a combined style where the forwards still win the trenches & the halves can float either side of the ruck all day & on any tackle if its there...not a fan of these junior coaches who coach the natural ability out of young talent coming through.
Some will actually hook players even if they set up a try with a deft cutout pass because he didn't pass inside to a backrower who has 3 players ready to belt him??
No wonder there's few Cliffy Lyons around & players like JT & DCE are worth these huge bucks!
Anyway, some contrasting styles on show so look forward to how it plays out....Brisbane though more structured made a shrewd purchase in Milford who brings X factor & Hunt is well organised but has the ability to stay alive on the back of it...a top shelf half these days.
The Cows...its hard to defend a side that doesn't no what its going to do in attack & provided Scott & Tamou lay the platform, JT can show why he scoops every award on earth....expect the unexpected.
For the most exciting footy on offer make sure you watch the Jets, win ,lose or draw - you will be entertained.

Ipswich will yet again throw caution tothe wind and play their possesion based football. Will be entertaining.

The Manly 20's play smart and have two game breakers in Turbo and Adi D. Penriff are big and strong, with the heat the big penriff boys could get tired, esp if pratt and the halves throughthe ball around.

In the main game it will come down towhose forwards handle the game better. If the cows are alowed to play big and fastup the middle they will win.

Last edited:
For those of you down south I urge you to watch the Jets game , not just to see our new star player but to see the " Walker Brothers" coaching style.

I watch the QCup on Sunday arvo, comes on straight after the footy show and before the 4pm game. Doesn't happen every Sunday as I'm often travelling but when I'm not its my usual Sunday.

Won't be surprised to see the Walkers jag an NRL gig one day!!

Last edited:
For those of you down south I urge you to watch the Jets game , not just to see our new star player but to see the " Walker Brothers" coaching style.

I watch the QCup on Sunday arvo, comes on straight on after the footy show and before the 4pm game. Doesn't happen every Sunday as I'm often travelling but when I'm not its my usual Sunday.

Well I'm hoping the Walker Brothers will have no regrets this afternoon.:)

I watch the QCup on Sunday arvo, comes on straight on after the footy show and before the 4pm game. Doesn't happen every Sunday as I'm often travelling but when I'm not its my usual Sunday.

It is a shame that Ipswich isn't playing Wyong (I know, Roosters feeder) just to have seen coach Robert "Rip" Taylor get another grand final team appearance. A quiet achiever:

Rip Taylor.....
"In 36 years of coaching from the suburbs to the scrub, Taylor has taken his teams to 30 finals series, 23 grand finals, and won 12 premierships at clubs including Lakes United, Parramatta, Bellingen and Grafton."

I watch the QCup on Sunday arvo, comes on straight after the footy show and before the 4pm game. Doesn't happen every Sunday as I'm often travelling but when I'm not its my usual Sunday.

Agreed. I have watched a few of their games so far and love how they play. They don't go in at half time either - they leave the players to themselves and give them ownership to address any issues in the game for the second half.

Agreed. I have watched a few of their games so far and love how they play. They don't go in at half time either - they leave the players to themselves and give them ownership to address any issues in the game for the second half.

It's an interesting concept isn't it.

Who knows may well be the way of the future.

Seen quite a few Jets games and love their style of footy. I like the way the Walker boys stalk the sideline and are constantly discussing the game, changes and messages with their trainer. I can't believe the Knights didn't give the Walker's a shot at the coaching job there. They will run the Knights off their feet today.

Enjoyed watching Parcell play again today. Impressive try & try saving tackle, and sound game throughout. And I'm wondering if his style of running across field and turning it to a player running the opposite direction will get the same encouragement under Barrett as it does under the Walkers. Will Barrett demand a traditional structure?

I love the short kick offs. Works in Union they have showed it works in league it's just another part of the game that needs to be practiced more in league.

Love the way the Jets play. The jets pack was amazing.. Hit harder than the bigger knights. On the back foot for the whole second half. No backward steps and ran over the top.. So much pace in that team.5

Well done Jets....played with confidence yet unpredictability, Knights were guessing as were the rest of us yet won convincingly

In the top grade Broncos tried to close it out from the 65th minute, but Cows got them in the 80th
....again not conventional but effective from the 2015 premiers Nth Qld

I loved the Ipswich style. Innovative and direct and in the heat very effective. Breath of fresh air compared to the stodgy structured stuff we see so much of.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7