1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference in halves

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Budgewoi Eagle, May 5, 2015.

1. Budgewoi Eagle

Budgewoi Eagle In for the long haul. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
    A question for those who understand the modern game: is there a difference between the 7 and 6? Current tip for Origin halves from Gallen is Hodkinson and Pearce - both play number 7 for their clubs. All the talk about 2016 halves for us is non specific re the 2 roles. Back when Cliffy and Tooves were playing, the roles were completely defined. No longer the case? Interested in how it works now Thanks!

2. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,085 / 27
    The 7 and 6 used to play on the same side of the ruck in the old days. The 7 would routinely pass to the 6.

But these days they live on opposite sides and play similar roles. I'd have no qualms having two 7's. DCE would play the exact same role with 6 on his back.

Even the 9 is basically a dummy half. The days of a genuine hooker are dead and buried.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PONTIAN SEA EAGLE

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +948 / 80
    There's no longer a difference.Once upon a time the halves had speed now they don't even have that.The only thing the halves have now is a kicking game, & a bit of organising in attack.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,411 / 257
    Yeah they could probably stop calling them a hooker seeing as no one actually hooks and most teams just have a back rower in the middle of the prop with like the fullback of someone locking the scrum, then they move those forwards out wide. Actually lock is a crock of **** too. Should be called "casually placing hands on second rowers backs and pretending to stick head in" but maybe that is just a tad too long.

The only names of positions that are still correct are FR/SR on technicalities only and wing and fullback.

• Like Like x 2
  5. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,561 / 59
    They play both sides of the ruck depending on position they are attacking on field . The fullback comes in like the halves more these days. Cherry Evans plays a lot of how he sees it , off the cuff sort of.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Only @Technical Coach is qualified to answer this.

In my mind there is no difference between 6 and 7 these days, but what do I know.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kevinward777

Kevinward777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,245 / 32
    Technical Coach is still mulling over whether clinical depression is real or not.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Budgewoi Eagle

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
    Makes me wonder if the game isn't slowly being sold down the toilet. I can think of no other football code that has such ill defined positions But then no other code changes rules in such a reactive way and so often.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,840 / 103
    Well, Gridiron has the most defined positions I can think of. They have blokes who never touch the ball whose sole role is blocking the equally fat opposition bloke. That's a ridiculous game.
    I think RL has gone backwards with players sticking to one side of the field. It stifles creativity. How would Cliffy go if you restricted him to sticking to a 'play book'?
    I think the Kiwis showed how easy it is to defend predictability, and how much more exciting - and rewarding - some ad-hoc footy can be.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hamster Huey

Hamster Huey Space Invader Premium Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 7
    The only question is who gets priority to call the shots. Both will be left to play what they see, but there needs to be a primary 'controller' the majority of the sets. Look to Pearce taking on the 'senior' role (7) and Hodkinson play more ball-running options (6), with the odd interjection when opportunities present themselves.

Certainly nothing unsettling about the proposal as both will still play their natural game.

11. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,561 / 59
    I'll have to meet u at the beachcomer for a beer and talk some manly Goss.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    The Beachcomber is a cesspit of drugs and violence........

Can I come too?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Wombat Legacy

Wombat Legacy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 114
    The Gundaroo ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    On the Matty Johns show the other night, Matt was of the opinion that there is still a difference. The half-back is still the alpha dog when push comes to shove.

15. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,346 / 56
    Only difference is really - todays 6 & 7 stands either side of the ruck.
    The halves dont link up enough as the modern coaching structures robotically design where players must be at all times - this is why the quality players with vision & creative skills are so rare & in demand.
    The most effective like Thurston who usually lives on the left , will switch with the vision theres numbers or an opportunity to attack the other side - usually picking the key moments against a retreating defence.
    Another component is to have 1 half who controls the game with the stronger passing/kicking game - example is Hodgkinson/Wallace & the other offering more a running game, often sniffing around the forwards who offer an offload - example of type is Blake Austin/Maloney.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Budgewoi Eagle

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
    So could Mitchell Pearce and Adam Reynolds play halves in the same team?

17. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,411 / 257
    You are quite right. Look at us when we move right to left! Half our team can't even pass that way!

18. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    The difference in the halves ? Is this another mathematical thread ?

19. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    At least it's not a weight based muscle v fat thread... :p

20. Wombat64

Wombat64 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Church Point
    Ratings:
    +1,372 / 37
    I heard TC was depressed?