1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Cliffy and Beaver sneak on the field

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Enigma, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    So often we hear of someone being the new "Sonny Bill or someone else"but Buhers try on Sunday was an exact replica of Menzies / Lyon . Not many ball players could deliver a try like that. The timing and the subtle deception was perfect and a reminder of DCE's skills which reappear in a good team and when he is happy

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,649 / 74
    Ha- starling's try reminded me of Phil Blake gifting Bruce Walker a try vs Qld country in the KB Cup! Although Blake was already over the line when he passed it to Goldie.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,842 / 103
    DCE passed it so Starling wouldn't have to do a nudie run.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CBreeagles

CBreeagles Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119 / 58
    Nah Starlo scored against Warriors. He said he passed to reward him for pushing up in support.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The Quirkster

The Quirkster The People's Champion

Sea Eagles Territory
    Ratings:
    +202 / 6
    When Josh Perry was playing in Pommyland, he didn't score a try in a season and had to go on a nudie run.

The police caught him and he got fined for it. I laughed so hard when I found that out.

6. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,825 / 53
    It's great to see Buhrer finally pulling a few good games together after his injuries.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Harvies elbow

Harvies elbow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    Ferris is playing like Beaver

8. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    The commentator in that game (Billy J Smith) wasn't impressed with Blake doing that.
    Ended 76-0 if I recall correctly?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    Buhrer's comeback is one of the more unheralded stories of 2016. Remarkable.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088 / 38
    I have always thought the hole runner never gets enough credit when something like that comes off. Many times, the runner has basically forced the playmaker to pass it to him, by virtue of his vision in spotting the gap and running the right line.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,786 / 100
    It is a beautiful thing when timed well. I have heard commentators bag wingers saying he went too early, or got in front of the ball carrier.

The hole runner has to go when the hole is there, not much use after it closes. It needs both parties on the same page, and you are correct a good hole runner does force the pass on many occasions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Quirkster

The Quirkster The People's Champion

Sea Eagles Territory
    Ratings:
    +202 / 6
    A lot of players drop the ball after the pass from the dummy-half when hitting it up during the set. They get blamed most of the time.

A good dummy half knows when and when not to pass it, for any number of reasons. The receiver needs the ball with the right amount of velocity on it. He needs it right in that perfect spot on his breadbasket.

In saying that, though, the receiver has their job to do as well. The most important thing in the game is the ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,605 / 46
    You've been knocking around with TC too much.

@:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Woodsie

Ratings:
    +4,786 / 100
    Sorry.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    I agree , I lost count of how many ignorant league fans "informed" me with 100% clarity that Menzies only looked good because he was running off C.Lyons. It is so dumb that it comes into the realm of "never argue with a fool" . The same stupidity applies when someone corrects your ignorance about a top class back with great pace has nothing but pace. You don't have to have any brain at all to check on the success of players like Shane Werrett sp? or Darren Clarke who failed despite being the fastest about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Woodsie

Ratings:
    +4,786 / 100
    Cliffy would have looked pretty stupid standing holding his ball without Bever (I think that is the new spelling) hitting the gap.

17. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088 / 38
    Easy way to resolve those arguments - let's just agree that manly has had both the greatest hole runner and the greatest playmaker in the history of the game.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Go manly

Go manly Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +428 / 5
    Beaver & hole seems to slip off the tongue so easy

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Hamster Huey

Hamster Huey Space Invader Premium Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 7
    Said after the match that he saw Starlo push through in support before he got there himself, so thought he'd ripped Josh off only because he was quicker, so farmed it off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Technical Coach

Technical Coach Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +863 / 45
    You mean "the greatest hole runner and the greatest ballplayer in the history of the game"

The greatest playmaker will have a more rounded skillset beyond just passing---Andrew Johns is the best playmaker in my eyes.

In saying that from ballplaying alone with less game time and games under his belt during Cliffy's last year in a mid table team at best, Cliffy's try assists matched and surpassed Andrew Johns for that year, great output from a limited skillset shows how great a ballplayer Cliffy was.