Destroying a dynasty

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Rugby League is a rollercoaster game, you ride the ups and the downs and when your team is up, there is often a low not too far away.

Over the past 3 seasons the Melbourne Storm have been a team riding many highs, a team full of international and Origin Representative players, a team that has without a doubt, been a force that seemed unstoppable, they have in no uncertain terms been a dynasty.

Last night Manly not only beat the dynasty but they surely destroyed it, with Storm players departing for other clubs, as oft happens when you taste success for so long, the salary cap just beats you in the end.
With a resounding 40 point to zero win, Manly tore the heart out of Melbourne and sent a message to the rest of the league, and must surely now be the benchmark.

Both Manly and Melbourne will be remembered as the greatest teams of this era, and whilst the Storm will be remembered as a powerhouse, Manly will be remembered as the team that tore that powerhouse to bits in this the centenary year of Rugby League.

We are now the benchmark and no one can argue with how we played, Cameron Smith and Hoffman are not worth 40 points! No matter what the pundits say, no matter how many times they say the Storm were missing Smith, we can all sit back, smile and let them know, we are number one and spilt milk wont give them back the 40 to zip margin!

LOSSES :
Israel Folau (Broncos)
Michael Crocker (Hull FC)
Jeremy Smith (Dragons)
Antonio Kaufusi (Cowboys)
Liam Foran (Warriors)
Matt Geyer (Retiring)
Russell Aitken (French Rugby League)
Sam Tagataese (Titans)

They may have been the best team over the last 3 years Dan, but a 33% success rate does not make a dynasty

Fro link said:
They may have been the best team over the last 3 years Dan, but a 33% success rate does not make a dynasty

3 minor premierships do mate!

The Storm of the 3 years, love them or hate them will go down in the books as one of the best all round sides ever....Manly will go one better

Minor Premierships dont mean much against premierships Dan.

It wasnt a dynasty, it was simply a very strong side that will go donw as losing 2 out of 3 Grand Finals.

Dont get me wrong, they are an outstanding side over the last 3 years, but not a dynasty, Parra early 80s and St George back in the day were dynasties

Isn't Sika Manu going to the Titans as well.

Repeat premierships bring dynasties and that will be hard to achieve as the cap ensures that. Many teams also have Premiership hangover.

Little coincidence that three teams have dominated in the last twelve years - Eagles 95, 96, 97, Rosters in early 2000s and Storm in the last three years, each making three consecutive deciders but not one of them could win more than one!!!  It is tough. Last team to get a double was Broncos in the early 90s and before that it was Slimes in 82, 83! Enjoy this moment now and next year will take care of itself. (Any thought of Premiership hangover will have to wait till then.)

Is 1995-97 remembered as a Manly dynasty?  I don't think so despite 3 minor premierships.

Was a shame we didn't win at least one more, particularly with the back row of the cntury playing for us just about.

Canteen Worker link said:
Isn't Sika Manu going to the Titans as well.

Nope. Tagataese is going to the GC (very good player as well, will do well for the Titans and will add some aggression and pace into their workmanlike backrow).

Sika is on the Storm's books for at least another two seasons, possibly three. They re-signed him earlier this year.

I notice that Bec woman that writes rubbish with Buzz in the Tele has tipped the Titans to win the comp next year.  So I expect they'll just miss the finals again.

When I think back to 95-97, I think of missed opportunity. We were clearly the standout team during that era and should have won more than 1 premiership. These days it is hard to sustain a team for more than 2 or 3 years, with the salary cap and the amount of palyer turnover. Melbourne have done well to make 3 in a row, and if we can go back to back next year then we will have surpassed their efforts. Very few teams can back up the following year to make a GF let alone win one.

I don't know, do people think we will be stronger or weaker next year with the personnel changes we will have. I think we might be short a decent centre to replace Bell, but can cover Beaver, Willo, and Bryant. Time will tell.

95 - 97 was a different world,

97 will forever be a stained premiership, tainted by Newcastles drug issues, and the fact that it was not a full competition

95 was blighted by the poorest refereeing seen in a Grand Final - though the 97 one was little better with several crucial forward passes missed.

I imagine Tony Williams is in the mix to replace Bell and it was good to see Bani included in celebrations last night.  Chris Bailey looks a likely chap so if the worst happens we put Lyon back in the centres.  But if Matai doesn't recover our centre stocks look very thin.

If Cuthbo gets his head right and gets the mistakes out of his game he is a better proposition than Bryant.  Willo is no loss and a block like Wells can cover him.

The loss of Beaver is unspeakable.  What worries me is all the unspoken mopping up that he does.  That is the greatest loss for us - his anticipation of trouble.  I suspect we will leak a lot more points next year.

Dead right Mata. Beaver's pace and handling was declining but he still had the instinct for where trouble was brewing and the ability to take the shortest line to snuff it out.
On the other hand, Glenn Stewart is smart enough to develop this part of his game further to compensate. But there will never be another Beaver.

The thing Beaver had was experience, both he and Kennedy knew the short cuts. I dont mean they were bludgers but they knew the best way to be in the right place at the right time.

Hopefully some of our young forwards have learnt from these 2 and will be able to stand up and be counted now that these 2 pillars of the pack are gone.

Good to meet a few of you guys last night (G'Day Fro I can now see why you have that name)....let's just say one single thing..

The Dynasty is dead!!!

Long live our mighty Sea Eagles

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4