Dessie's legacy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Loobs said:
Ryan said:
If Des was still here, and none of the Bulldogs stuff happened, you'd all still adore the guy - come on. Same goes for Crusher.

Yeah but he's not. That's the point...

If he left in a respectable fashion and used honesty, perhaps

But what if Hitler wasn't a psychopath? He was and that's all that gets remembered, not his economic genius to pull Germany from depression into riches,no he's that bloke that ordered millions of deaths

cherry_poppins said:
Loobs said:
Ryan said:
If Des was still here, and none of the Bulldogs stuff happened, you'd all still adore the guy - come on. Same goes for Crusher.

But what if Hitler wasn't a psychopath? He was and that's all that gets remembered, not his economic genius to pull Germany from depression into riches,no he's that bloke that ordered millions of deaths

You seriously need perspective on life.

Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:
Loobs said:
Ryan said:

Because i don't bend to your will?

cherry_poppins said:
Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:
Loobs said:
Ryan said:

No because of the rubbish you just posted.

Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:
Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:
Loobs said:

In my view you post rubbish as bad as the wrestler you chose to name yourself after

cherry_poppins said:
Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:
Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:

In my view you post rubbish as bad as the wrestler you chose to name yourself after
Sorry I thought I was discussing rugby league with an adult that was my first mistake I forgot about school holidays. Once someone starts discussing user names in a thread it's time for me to leave.

Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:
Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:
Mavin said:

Sorry I thought I was discussing rugby league with an adult that was my first mistake I forgot about school holidays. Once someone starts discussing user names in a thread it's time for me to leave.

You'd know all about school holidays wouldn't you

I was drawing something adults call a parallel, you might learn of it next term

Both did good stuff at the start but both will always be remembered for their worst atrocities which aren't comparable, but a parallel can be drawn

I'm sure it's past your bedtime cutie, night night

I politely disagree with the notion that it 75% roster, 25% coach. I will use the Roosters as an example. Here is their 2013 premiership winning squad. The first half of the brackets next to each name is the general rugby league consensus concerning each player at the end of the 2012 season moving into the beginning of the 2013 campaign, followed by their 2014 reputations having won a premiership. Outside of Jennings and SBW (who were genuine marquee signings to bolster their roster), the rest have come a very long way; the common denominator is they all had the same coach.

Minichello (past his best/turning back the clock)
Topou (Daniel who/NSW Origin player)
Jennings (marquee signing)
SKD (on the outer at the club/Club legend)
RTS (Roger who?/NZ International)

Maloney (underrated but hardly a super star/Origin 5/8)
Pearce (grossly overrated/form of his life)

JWH (thug/best front rower in the game)
Friend (lucky to have a contract/heir apparent to Cam Smith)
Moa (Sam who?/Lawn Mower)
Aiden Guerra (Aiden who?/QLD Origin player)
SBW (Marquee signing)
Frank Paul (Is he getting a run this week?/enforcer)

Mortimer (that reserve grader from Eels?/Titans starting no.7)
Aubusson (average player/average player)
Cordner (Boyd who?/NSW Origin player)
O'Donnell (hasn't he retired yet?/turn back the years)

It's easy to say this is a great roster, but the Roosters finished 13th the year before, with nearly the same squad. The same thing happened at Manly; we were easy beats, and then Des came along and slowly made champions out of a host of our young players. Who knows who half our champions would be without the development of Des. Look at all the journeyman that land at the feet of Craig Bellamy that turn their careers around playing within his wonderful structures. Coaches are so important in the modern game, they can turn a mediocre squad in the envy of the competition overnight, as Robinson did with a little help from Shayne Hayne!

I don't think you can say that a player goes from nobody to state of origin because of the coach. The talent is there or it isn't. I'd stand by saying Manly heading up to 2008 got there off the back of the influence of senior players. BK was a huge turning point. And I doubt Dessie was teaching him and Beaver and Killer and even Matt Orford a lot at that point.

Coaching is keep everything humming with your squad, and don't lose the tactical battle. He rest comes down to the talent you have, health (which is HUGE) and whether your players will dig in for each other or just want to collect a pay check.

cherry_poppins said:
Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:
Mavin said:
cherry_poppins said:

You'd know all about school holidays wouldn't you

I was drawing something adults call a parallel, you might learn of it next term

Both did good stuff at the start but both will always be remembered for their worst atrocities which aren't comparable, but a parallel can be drawn

I'm sure it's past your bedtime cutie, night night

To compare a football coach with hitler show's what sort of person you are. Anyway back to the rugby league if you can drag yourself away from the wrestling princess

Loobs said:
I don't think you can say that a player goes from nobody to state of origin because of the coach. The talent is there or it isn't. I'd stand by saying Manly heading up to 2008 got there off the back of the influence of senior players. BK was a huge turning point. And I doubt Dessie was teaching him and Beaver and Killer and even Matt Orford a lot at that point.

Coaching is keep everything humming with your squad, and don't lose the tactical battle. He rest comes down to the talent you have, health (which is HUGE) and whether your players will dig in for each other or just want to collect a pay check.

I politely disagree entirely. Lot's of players have natural talent, some of them are out laying bricks as we speak, because they fell through the cracks; never had the right mentor, or confidence to be their very best. The average first grade footballer in 2014 is a remarkable athlete with undeniable physical attributes. A coaches job is tap into these physical attributes, motivate the player, and finally, weave them into the fabric of the team. The modern coach has an enormous responsibility to manage not just physical bodies, but the personalities and the complex dynamic of a group of men all coming together for the common cause; to win.

Aiden Guerra is a perfect example to illustrate my point. He is 26, and played his first Origin game this year. What was he doing for the first 5 years of his career with his talent? Obviously not as much as he is doing now under Trent Robinson as part of a premiership winning side. Some credit must go to the coach when a host of players within the same team suddenly become hot property over the course of only one season.

But is Guerra's improvements a result of the coach? Or is it the improved squad around him that drives him to go the next step? He did play under Bellamy and yet that supercoach didn't see enough to keep him with the Storm.

Perhaps there is little to support anything near a definitive, code-wide influence to make the call one way, or the other.

I'm going off my own history with the game. In school we were an average squad, medium talent. When I was in year 12, our school cut a deal with the local NRL equivalent for that time team and got a bunch of their SG Ball players to come, one of which became a NSW and Australia rep player. We went, with the same coach, same training, same facilities, to the final of the old Commonwealth Bank Cup the next year. So I find it very hard to see how much coaches add beyond managing the egos and some X's and O's, hence 25%.

SBW lifted that Roosters pack himself. Guerra can thank him more than Robinson and he probably does. Ditto Cordner.

You may also recall that when Supercoach Des left, Choc came out and said Manly would be fine because Toovey actually ran most of the training. He was right.

One more - better example - Brenton Lawrence. Coaching, or lifting to meet the level of his team mates?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6