Dessie won't let strife in boardroom distract Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Dessie won't let strife in boardroom distract Sea Eagles

Steve Menzies | February 22, 2009
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/dessie-wont-let-strife-in/2009/02/21/1234633129948.html

I'm not big on reading papers, but even I've heard that there have been a few dramas at Manly in recent weeks (maybe it's a good thing the boys are over here in London).

It comes as a bit of a surprise so soon after winning the premiership, because good times on the field usually means good times off it. But it hasn't worked out that way and there are obviously some issues.

It's not good news, but I don't think it will stop the Sea Eagles from giving the premiership another big shake this year. Most players are pretty professional when it comes to off-field distractions and can put those things to one side. Everybody is different, but outside things such as this never really got to me. We went through some pretty tough times at the Northern Eagles and that was probably a fair bit worse than what's going on now. I reckon the players will be professional enough to distance themselves from what they read in the papers.

I haven't spoken to the Manly boys about it since they got here. The only bloke I've talked to is Matty Ballin, but I didn't even think to ask him about all the boardroom stuff. I was more interested in when they were getting together to play cards.

Maybe it's a good time to be away. They're all in London seeing some sights, training and getting ready for the World Club Challenge. Dessie is very good at keeping the boys focused. He will make sure everyone's minds are where they should be - on the training and playing field. They're a very strong squad and they'll be right in premiership contention again.

The latest news reminds me a bit of my time at the Northern Eagles. We had two sets of people running the club - the Manly board members and the North Sydney board members. I'm hearing that some people aren't seeing eye to eye, but I'm sure circumstances are different.

Both the Delmege and Penn families have been major factors in making us grand final winners, and we've come a long way in the past few years. I'm sure they have the club's best interests at heart.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7