Dessie as coach.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's not really hard to ascertain what Byso meant in this thread. I can't see the debate to it?

In my eyes, he's saying that as Canteen Worker proclaimed, a coaches job is to sustain a positive attitude with his players throughout "a year" - make sure they are mentally right for each game. Manly began 2005 like lightning, then yes, Monnasgate happenned, and it was obvious the players were a little dissolussioned. Dunley said the team was flat. In my opinion (and as we had minimal injury), Des failed to mitigate the obvious risk of attitude around player contract negatiation. They should have been (including Monnas) focused on the goal at hand - a premiership.

Since 2006 has started, the team has improved (as Byso clearly states), but there are obvious deficiencies (as there are in any team) with us as well - goal line defence / team selection.

In MY opinion, we have improved across the park. Admin / players / coaching staff / team selections etc etc. I think it's obvious to everyone that I am very happy of late with the way things are happenning at Manly. 3rd - 6th. So what? Like Corso has said - equal 3rd regardless. Wherever we finish, I am happy (win / lose or draw this weekend).

And here I go, and keep this for your records...

I think Des is the coach that has the ability to take us to premierships. He is obviously learning, and as far as I can tell, is getting better and better.

Who would have thought 2006 would bring a win over Panthers in all three grades - a feat that hasn't happened in almost a decade or more? Who would have thought we would have beaten The Bulldogs at home for the 1st time since 1996? Who would have thought that we would rack up more points in one 1/2 of football, than we have done in 12 years against The Bulldogs at their home ground, while they were almost at full strength? Who would have thought that we could potentially have 5 internationals in our 1 team - Stewart / Bell / Orford / Kite / Matai?

To be honest - I'm wrapped with this season...and I'm lapping the success right up...

Since 2006 has started, the team has improved (as Byso clearly states), but there are obvious deficiencies (as there are in any team) with us as well - goal line defence / team selection.

To be fair, our goal line defence has been one of the best in the comp this year- it just went sour against the Bulldogs. Remember how good it was against the Cowboys in Round 2? That was awesome stuff. Our scramble/goal line defence has saved our ass quite a few times this year, although there is still a problem with our left-hand side (namely Matai rushing out). I'm more concerned about our defence midfield.

The only 4 people in Premier League that could do well at the moment in first grade are probably Paul Stephenson, Glenn Stewart, Matt Ballin and Adam Cuthbertson. Maybe Meanie but I haven't seen enough of him. Stephenson and Stewart are back-ups and have better players currently in front of them (though I guess you could exchange Stewart for Williamson).

Cuthbertson had a go earlier in the year and although he played out of position, he was still caught out several times in defence and has probably been given the rest of the season to fix this. With Kennedy going, he'll more than likely grab a spot next year. Ballin, well, he should be getting a go, but Monaghan and Dunley have been working well this year. Remember, Des wanted Monaghan out and as the only other suitable starting hooker at the club, Ballin would have probably been given a go.

I'm quite content with both those areas so far this year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7