Dessie as coach.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Comparing Manly's injury toll to that of most other clubs over the past three years makes for interesting reading........

When was our last "season ender"? Hicks' shoulder around Round 22 in 2004?

yeah its a struggle to get to the coffee machine sometimes barks, but I just go through the pain barrier

For a minute fro i didnt think you had made it to the coffee. lol

CW you raise a lot of the coaches job role but how many points do you believe he has done well?

I have seen deficiensies in a few of those areas which is the difference between an ok coach and a good coach.

I feel he could have done better in all of these areas: analysis of the opposition, team evaluation, drawing up of comprehensive match plans, tactical analysis, team morale, player and squad development and i have the balls to say it. but your welcome to settle for mediocre in these areas.

Thanks for the lecture on the coach's role cw. However it's not for me to completely bag out Des, He's capable and hard working and all that. But there's been times this year that team choices have cost us points. Two more and we'd not be relying on getting the two in Melbourne.(not that that's beyond us) The game at Parra turned on the position of full back. The choice of Robinson as full back coming a week after he'd clearly demonstrated how hopeless he was in that position was indefensible. Two points from that game and we're clearly in third, home final etc etc. The coach's role is a hard one and I'm willing to give him another year. Just don't get me started on Fulton, a complete failure as a coach.

I can see that any minute now someone will get out the old KPI reference and we can all sit around & do a YTD performance review on Des.

Why not make it all simpler.

Q: Has Des improved each year with more experience.
A: Yes

Q: Are we satisfied with our higher position on the ladder this season.
A: Yes

Q: Do we expect Dessie to improve again next year or based on this years performance do we expect him to go backwards
A: Improve

So its an easy decision for me.

But I do like all the over analysis and debate. Its good for increase post numbers. ;)

Glad to see it's an easy decision for you JC. Des improved? in what? Are we talking personnally or professionally? What about the other variables with a footie team, like personnell for starters. I'd be satisfied with the higher position if we were clearly in third, and not relying on a win in Melbourne to stay there. If we finish sixth, two better than eighth, then will you still be satisfied? I expect the team to improve next year as I do each year, especially as we have bought the best centre in the world. (imo Lyon is heaps better than Reg's nephew). Simplistic reference tests should be consigned to the dustbin of private enterprise, they only serve to increase the salaries of fat capitalists.

Regardless of the result on Saturday we will finish equal 3rd on the ladder. The difference in places being the for & against ledger.

I would think it harsh to say that we only improved from 8th to 6th on that criteria if we do happen to end up 6th on the ladder. I don't now how many more games we won this year as opposed to 2005 but it must have been a few extra.

To still be sitting on the fence in relation to Hasler's performance this year after 25 rounds is puerile, if a decision can't be made this deep into the season one will never ne made.

We have achieved our position through a never say attitude.Of course we could be better, I am still very dissapoitended with our attack within the 20 metre zone, it seems to lack any real direction. Again on Friday night our 3 tries didn't come from a set play involving th eball going through hands, yet each of the Bulldogs trties were scored in that manner.

Isn't it a strange world where the likes of MAta, Pete, CW and sue are lined up as the purveyors of positivity arrayed against the negatives and cussed cynics like Byso and Fluffy!

I just want to know what was in the mini spring rolls at the Panthers game. I have no problems agreeing with Canteen Worker & Sue Ridgepipe but I feel very uncomfortable when Matable & I agree.

It wasn't the spring rolls - it was the sushi.

Seriously Pete, I am a hard critic but a fair one. Compare and contrast:

January 2004 Ricky Stewart was working with a team that lost the previous GF.

January 2004 Hasler was working with a bunch of misfits and cast offs from other clubs that had been cobbled together at the last minute.

Compare their relative fortunes since.

Yes, since 2004 I have been a constant advocate for change and improvement. Much of this has been acted on. It is much harder to come up with ideas for change when you run third than when you're widely tipped for the wooden spoon.

There are a few things I would tweak, but they are well documented and people are tired of hearing about them.

Should I feel some justification that you are now substantially in agreement with what has been argued, debated and discussed over the past 2 years then?

Not really. I wouldn't be in agreement if it hadn't come about.

The question you need to ask is: How much has Mata been an agent for positive change?

Easy answer Nil, Zip, Zilch Zero, 0. I am feeling much more comfortable now, I again will be in disagreement with you.

Des improved? in what?
The success of manly has improved each year under Des.
I'd be satisfied with the higher position if we were clearly in third,
We are in clear 3rd position
and not relying on a win in Melbourne to stay there.
Nitpicking. Hasnt transpired as yet
If we finish sixth, two better than eighth, then will you still be satisfied?
Ill be happy in the knowledge that the team has been more successful than last year, so yes
I expect the team to improve next year
We are talking about Des's coaching to date not a forecast of the future
We have bought the best centre in the world. (imo Lyon is heaps better than Reg's nephew).
Sure. And we have lost Kennedy
Simplistic reference tests should be consigned to the dustbin of private enterprise, they only serve to increase the salaries of fat capitalists.
Thats too much of a simplistic statement in itself. Which might only serve to increase the quantity of lazy public service bureaucrats

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6