• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
I was thinking while driving along yesterday that I wonder what Dessies future at Manly this will be his 4th year as coach , so how many more will he be at the helm, will Manly tap him on the shoulder ala Graham Murray or will he do at Wayne Bennent , every team goes thru the ups and downs so would it be the answer to change coaches before this happens
the topic questions are
How long is long enough ?
should he step down or wait for the tap ?
Who should replace him ? Somebody internally or a top class outsider ?

p.s. not trying to rock the boat just my thoughts

I'd say Dessie will be a very long term coach....and I'm actually very glad for it. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets coach of the year this year if Melbourne faulters in any way.

Des will live and die by his results. Manly have been on the up during his coaching career. (There is no other way to go when you are rock bottom!)

Should we start to slump or slip away the whispers would start. That is the way the coaching merry-go-round goes.

Des is one of those coaches that is long on work ethic and preparation and less so on tactical brilliance.

I get the impression that Des will get to a point whereby he realises one of two things. That he has won us a GF & can move on or he has hit the wall for new ideas and quietly acknowledges new blood is needed. I reckon Des will tap himself on the shoulder before anyone else.

Hard to say when the trigger might happen other than we win the GF this year. Otherwise, at a guess end, of 09.

Does anyone know what the average "life span" of a coach is? My guess is it would be around the 4-5 year mark.

At the end of 2010 we will probably have had our window for winning a premiership one would think.

In terms of work ethic, motivation, and respect from the players, I really think Des is just about top of the pile. I'm more circumspect in terms of game tactics and strategies. But this is where the rest of the coaching staff should come in.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4