Des to coach Blues?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Bellamy to quit as Blues coach
By Dean Ritchie
October 21, 2008

New South Wales coach Craig Bellamy hinted further on Monday that he was ready to quit as Blues coach for the 2009 State of Origin series.

Bellamy admitted this year's series was stressful and that Queensland's non-NRL coach policy was the "way to go".

It is understood Manly's Des Hasler would be favourite to replace Bellamy, should he stand down, but Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens, St Helens' Daniel Anderson, former NSW assistant Laurie Daley and ex-Blues coach Graham Murray would be other options discussed.

Well-placed sources say Melbourne's 40-0 grand final loss will further push Bellamy away from the NSW job in 2009.

Asked if he was keen to return to end Queensland's domination, Bellamy said: "I don't take that too much into consideration.

"It's whether I can do the job as well as I can and also do as good a job as I can with Melbourne.

"That's more the issue. That's what I need to think out.

"I think I did that last series and it took a little bit out of me after the series. It took me a little while to get some sleep and to rest up.

"It's a tough job. Queensland have got a pretty good formula there with Mal (Meninga, coach) not having an NRL job.

"He's obviously a wonderful coach given what he's done there."

Bellamy returns from an American holiday next week to discuss the issue with NSWRL chief executive Geoff Carr.

I thought he already said he had quit after the second game?

I think non NRL coach is the way to go, they are less biased towards players aswell

I know I'll get bagged for this, but I don't care. I just want NSW to win.

Two words.

Gus Gould.

Agreed on Gould.

If he had of been there a couple of seasons ago - Monaghan might of been/still be the NSW half :-O

Duff link said:
I know I'll get bagged for this, but I don't care. I just want NSW to win.

Two words.

Gus Gould.

No bagging from me. I'm all for Gus as NSW coach. His record speaks for himself.

But I don't think he'd ever come back.

Michael Hagan will be available as it looks like he is quitting (being sacked) from Parramatta today.

If Des was a NSW selector and / or coach, it would have serious benefits IMO for The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

Plus, if manly can do absolutely ANYHTHING to get Laury Dailey out of his selection panel job, it would do wonders for Manly's rep chances.

Dailey hates Manly - hence his comments on the Grand Final Footy show about it paining him to say that he thought Manly would do well in the GF.

He hates Orford.

NSW 2009 IMO:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jared Hayne
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Matt Cooper
05. David Williams
06. Terry Campese (goal kicker)
07. Matt Orford (c)
08. Brent Kite
09. Craig Wing
10. Josh Perry
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Luke O'Donnell
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Willie Mason
16. Luke Bailey
17. Paul Gallen

Coach: Des Hasler

not a bad side actually Ryan - no room for Brett White or Steve Turner?

Ryan link said:
If Des was a NSW selector and / or coach, it would have serious benefits IMO for The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

Plus, if manly can do absolutely ANYHTHING to get Laury Dailey out of his selection panel job, it would do wonders for Manly's rep chances.

Dailey hates Manly - hence his comments on the Grand Final Footy show about it paining him to say that he thought Manly would do well in the GF.

He hates Orford.

NSW 2009 IMO:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jared Hayne
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Matt Cooper
05. David Williams
07. Matt Orford (c)
08. Brent Kite
09. Craig Wing
10. Josh Perry
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Luke O'Donnell
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Willie Mason
16. Luke Bailey
17. Paul Gallen

Des' team would be this:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jared Hayne
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Matt Cooper
05. David Williams
07. Matt Orford (c)
08. Brent Kite
09. Craig Wing
10. Josh Perry
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Luke O'Donnell
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Luke Williamson
16. Luke Bailey
17. Paul Gallen
18. Adam Cuthbertson

They should get Gus to coach, he will win NSW a series, and I dont think he'd make any biased selections. For Manly in 09, Stewart x 2, Kite & Perry should all play origin, with Wolfman, Choc and Ox all close to selection depending on form at the time.

Definately the non-NRL coach is the way.  A club coach is 24/7 pretty much.  With an outsider they can spend the whole year looking at players and coming up with tactics.

Isn't Manly getting a new assistant coach too?  Des can't leave even for those 3 games!

Plus i know 6 have now got Aus rep honours but wouldn't playing Origin also drive up their asking price? 

I dread the day when our guys go to other clubs becuase the dollar forced them out.

Our big worry is that we are getting an ex-Norths player as our assistant coach. Was it Kelly Egan?  I am not sure what his credentials are or what he has been doing since the Bears faded to that big cave in the sky?

I hope he doesn't import any Norths culture or restart the nonsense that plagued the Beagles.

Canteen Worker link said:
Our big worry is that we are getting an ex-Norths player as our assistant coach. Was it Kelly Egan?  I am not sure what his credentials are or what he has been doing since the Bears faded to that big cave in the sky?

I hope he doesn't import any Norths culture or restart the nonsense that plagued the Beagles.

Des or Mayer would have been advised on who to go with as assistant coach, Maybe Crusher so I really think they are doing what is best for the club

Lets hope that he is a better assistant coach than he was a player.

Our big worry is that we are getting an ex-Norths player as our assistant coach. Was it Kelly Egan? 

Correct, I have certainly not heard of him since the NRL but I guess it is reasonable to assume that he has done something somewhere that has impressed Hasler. Hasler's recruitment record on all levels, both in playing roster and back room room roster seems to be virtually perfect.

Kelly Egan who can't say I've heard of him ?

I couldn't stand the Gould hi-jack the Origin series to glorify ME routine again.  Though I;d rather he coach than Hasler. 

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7