Des now works for the the one-armed boss

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

weev

Bencher
Let's be clear, Des is a good coach. He is reaping the rewards of his talents by attracting the big, big money.

Celebrate the rich man!

And where did that money come from? Well, the pokies of course.

The Bulldogs Club is the state's most profitable poker machine operation, earning $69.5 million for the club last year.

The next highest Leagues club earner is Parramatta Leagues.

See a pattern?

Is League destined to ride the gambler's back, making those earning the over large pay packets (regardless of their religious sabbaticals) complicit in supporting the gambling addiction/disease?

I'll bet it does.

Source
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/rivers-of-gold-in-poker-machine-profit/story-e6freuzi-1226147364343

Also worth a read
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-machines-that-are-draining-a-city-20111014-1lp52.html

If Prime minister Wilkie and his assistant Juliar get their way, the Dogs will be in real crap if the pokie pre-commitment gets through

For a minute i thought you may have been talking about the new captain to be michael anus.

I've heard from a dogs source anus is allready questioning some of des hasbelers decisions.Yeah great move des.

We're sponsored by Centrebet don't forget. Online gambling is no better than pokies really, widely promoted by the NRL and the media to the point it has become indistinguishable from the normal commentary and programming content. Biggest blight on the game at the moment, something I hope the IC looks seriously at.

Been speaking to a few Doggy supporters on my travels from that side of town. Not many are impressed by the importation of Des and his henchmen.

They feel the Bulldogs have lost their identity and can't understand why after having a winning Juniors squad they needed to recruit half the Manly coaching staff to help them win a GF

Some are willing to give Des just 6 months before "it's off with his head".
They still are ruing over the loss of Jamil and think Greenburg's a long way off from being called the "Greatest CEO".

Prefer to be in our boat than there's. At least we are still Proudly "Made in Manly"

Berkeley_Eagle said:
If Prime minister Wilkie and his assistant Juliar get their way, the Dog,s will be in real crap if the pokie pre-commitment gets through

Your spot on the mark BK, the clubs are banking on these reforms not going through and ATM looks as though Mrs Squiggle won't need PM Wilkes's vote to stay in power. If Wilkie withdraws his support now Mrs Squiggle still has the numbers, however as we know anything can happen in politics.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
If Prime minister Wilkie and his assistant Juliar get their way, the Dogs will be in real crap if the pokie pre-commitment gets through
now we have some hope,lol,lets hope it gets through,lol

Oneyeagle said:
Been speaking to a few Doggy supporters on my travels from that side of town. Not many are impressed by the importation of Des and his henchmen.

They feel the Bulldogs have lost their identity and can't understand why after having a winning Juniors squad they needed to recruit half the Manly coaching staff to help them win a GF

Some are willing to give Des just 6 months before "it's off with his head".
They still are ruing over the loss of Jamil and think Greenburg's a long way off from being called the "Greatest CEO".

Prefer to be in our boat than there's. At least we are still Proudly "Made in Manly"

If what you say is correct that will mean De$ will be hated in two locations in Sydney, Manly and Belmore in 6 months.

Chip and Chase. I disagree with your assessment that the pokie players will transfer their habit onto the net if the legislation gets through.. Have you ever observed the people who sit on the pokies and feed them constantly? They don't ever look like internet types. It's no surprise that the greatest takes from the pokies is in the less affluent areas of the city. I actually don't like any form of gambling, except the horses, and the pokies are just an abhorrent form of gambling. The take for the house and the govt ensure that it's impossible to ever make a living out of, or beating them. It's just impossible. I think the legislation would ensure that some limit is set and there would be an introduction of cheaper machines. I'd like to see them banned entirely, but this legislation is a small step in the right direction. I well remember my dad coming home pissed and broke the day after pay-day from gambling, and it wasn't pleasant in our house.

Anybody remember how Leagues clubs originated? Me either, but I looked into it at one stage. It went hand in hand with introduction of poker machines. Since 1956 clubs in NSW were allowed to operate poker machines. Historically the most powerful clubs soon became those with the biggest leagues clubs.

The game evolved towards full professionalism on the back of funds raised by encouraging working class gambling. The rationale was that clubs put the money back into the local communities. This ceased to be their primary goal many years ago, superseded by an emphasis on expansion, market share and profits.

I agree with DSM5 about the social consequences of gambling, especially those forms that are aimed at lower income earners. The culture of league has always been closely associated with the culture of the punt. Is it inappropriate? Well, money has to come from somewhere. So, which are the 'good' capitalists who we might prefer to have funding our game? And where do their profits come from?

The media, for all it's warts, should be the funding source. Not gambling. I disagree SER8. Football clubs existed before the introduction of pokies. They just lived within their means. In 1956 we saw the pokie fed dominance that large clubs like St George had on the game. The 50s were a gambling fueled romp for the Goons. They just bought the biggest guys who held onto the ball for the entirety of the game. The ARL were asleep at the wheel at that time with the aging Flegg driving the bus. What followed was the corruption of the Humphries era, fuelled by gambling, before the league got it's act somewhat together with the arrival of the great man, Arko. Legitmate firms along with the media giants should fund the game because they are the ones who benifit.

DSM5 said:
Chip and Chase. I disagree with your assessment that the pokie players will transfer their habit onto the net if the legislation gets through.. Have you ever observed the people who sit on the pokies and feed them constantly? They don't ever look like internet types. It's no surprise that the greatest takes from the pokies is in the less affluent areas of the city. I actually don't like any form of gambling, except the horses, and the pokies are just an abhorrent form of gambling. The take for the house and the govt ensure that it's impossible to ever make a living out of, or beating them. It's just impossible. I think the legislation would ensure that some limit is set and there would be an introduction of cheaper machines. I'd like to see them banned entirely, but this legislation is a small step in the right direction. I well remember my dad coming home pissed and broke the day after pay-day from gambling, and it wasn't pleasant in our house.

Your quite right, pokie player will not use the internet sites.

I would like to see the end of pokies but will never happen. I am in favour of this pre commitment scheme but I dont see it changing the status quo. There will be no "cheaper" machines as such. People that want to bet over $1 will have to register, get a card and put their daily limit on it, however they will not be able to put on ridiculous limits. There will also be a 24 hour cool down to change their limit.

Anyone who plays either under a dollar or a dollar and under ( not sure which one) doesn't have to have a pre commitment card.

I am ex pokie player that let them control me,I gave them away before I lost everything, so I am talking from experience.

Nothing will change for the majority of people, there may be an initial drop off but that will be short lived.

My local club is doing extensive renovations, around half a million in value so doesn't seem as though they are concerned.

Telegraph lovefest over Dogs continues. Action photo of Ennis on front of http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ Des has made him captain. How is that a front page news story? Dogs sponsors would be happy with that publicity.

Brissie Kid said:
Telegraph lovefest over Dogs continues. Action photo of Ennis on front of http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ Des has made him captain. How is that a front page news story? Dogs sponsors would be happy with that publicity.

To try and draw attention away from the travails of that other Bulldog great - Ryan Tandy.

Just watched the GF again. Anyone else notice after full-time when the boys are all hugging each other, straight after Shaun Johnson is interviewed by Wally, Hasler gives Glenn Stewart a hug and congratulates him. Then, On his way over to Ivan Cleary he has to cross paths with Toovey but keeps walking without any acknowledgement. no handshake no nothing. Maybe they had already congratulated each other but on the replay it just looks like Hasler brushed him.

The whole mandatory commitment thing confuses me

The clubs are worried that they will be "decimated" by it.

I would assume this is because less people will gamble they will get less revenue?

And how is that bad?

lsz said:
The whole mandatory commitment ....,

And how is that bad?

Less money to pay overpriced exec salaries, less money to buy premierships.

Oh we're you thinking about the punter?

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6