Des Hasler wants answers from referees

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Des Hasler wants answers from referees
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/des-hasler-wants-answers-from-referees/story-e6frexnr-1226032551925

MANLY coach Des Hasler is set for a showdown with referees coach Stuart Raper after the controversial loss to South Sydney on Friday night.

Souths were awarded the opening five penalties, while the Sea Eagles didn't receive one until the 68th minute.

Frustrated at the lop-sided count, Manly captain Jason King was heard to ask rookie referee Adam Devcich: "Have we had a penalty yet?"

Devcich then replied: "They haven't had many."

In a carefully-worded appraisal of the refereeing display, Hasler accused the whistle-blowers of "putting themselves under the microscope" and of "only refereeing one side".

"I rang Stuart Raper straight after the game. I can handle penalties going against us, but what I can't handle is that you can't only referee one side," Hasler said.

"One side can't have five penalties against them and the other side doesn't get a penalty until the 68th minute.

"This is where they bring criticism upon themselves and put themselves under the microscope. Then they compound the issue by going penalty, penalty, penalty to us towards the end of the game.

"That's stupid. They've got to treat the public with a little bit more intelligence than that.

"They've got to be smarter about it. The ruck is so subjective that if you really wanted to, you could blow 20 penalties. To their credit, the referees' bosses are very good. They let you approach them, so I've left messages with them and I'll speak to them about it."

Raper confirmed Hasler contacted him on Friday night and will wait until the referees debrief before talking to the Sea Eagles coach.

"Des didn't leave a message for me, he rang me at 10pm with a statement and I'll talk to Des about his statement on Monday," Raper said.

Raper conceded "there may have been one or two other penalties that were able to go the other way", but he said he was satisfied with the refereeing performance.

"I was very content with the performance of the referees, I thought they contributed to a high-quality spectacle," Raper said yesterday.

"I spoke to Russell Smith, who is the evaluator on that game, and he said there were probably a few instances where it may not have been a penalty. But he was very impressed with the referees' performances, as was I.

"I also spoke to Sean Hampstead and he had very high praise, too."

Under the tutelage of new referee coaches Raper and Bill Harrigan, the whistle-blowers are being urged to be more assertive and trust their instincts. The referees who controlled the Sea Eagles-Souths encounter were the experienced Ashley Klein and rookie Devcich.

To assume that the bunnies were perfect angels for 79 minutes of an 80 minute contest is absurd

it surprised me that for 67 minutes souths can do no wrong, then in the space of 1 minute they concede 3 penalties.

castle eagle link said:
it surprised me that for 67 minutes souths can do no wrong, then in the space of 1 minute they concede 3 penalties.
Its got absolutely nothing to do with trying to even up the penalty count statistics.Raper was "very content with the performance of the referees". He must have been watching another game.

It's not just the referees on the field.  Their first try was spectacular, but the player who did the second kick was in front of the kicker for the first kick.  If the video ref had bothered to go back and freeze-frame the point where the kick occurred, it was clear there was offside.  The second week in a row a referral to a video ref resulted in him doing just half a job and costing us 6 points.

Another Souths try was off a clear forward pass, passed a metre before the line marking and caught a metre after - and the passer was running more sideways than forwards when he released it. 

Someone should talk to Robbo about his reactions after possible tries.  He looks like he's trying to talk referees out of giving tries to Manly. Get it out of your game Robbo.

Do you know what Robbo's saying Rex?  You've obviously got superior hearing or can lip read, so please share it with us rather than your stupid inference.  I agree that two of Souths tries should have been disallowed, but one must realize that Souths are supposed to do well this year, so they of course will get a leg up from the officials.     

leg up? now where did you get this from? Are you Rusty's mate  ;)  Hi David and Russ, its Special Agent DMS5 Silvertails here, who, no not the CIA? you know Silvertails, now stop that leg up, hello, hello  :eek:

DSM5 link said:
Do you know what Robbo's saying Rex?  You've obviously got superior hearing or can lip read, so please share it with us rather than your stupid inference. 

I think he meant body language. Players always try to exude confidence after a 50/50 try, while Robbo doesn't always. Don't think its a big deal either way tbh.

Darren, you've just committed a serious offence.  It's illegal to out a special agent. 

codewana link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=187289.msg330066#msg330066 date=1301784936]
Do you know what Robbo's saying Rex?  You've obviously got superior hearing or can lip read, so please share it with us rather than your stupid inference. 

I think he meant body language. Players always try to exude confidence after a 50/50 try, while Robbo doesn't always. Don't think its a big deal either way tbh.
[/quote]

I think Refs are more likely to give a 50/50 to a player who appears honest then one who always celebrates and then is shown to be wrong by the video.

It's funny when a player puts his hand up, jumps around and celebrates a try, then seeing the replay and he didn't get a hand to it.  Mind you, they've only had a split second whereas in tv land it's a frame by frame for however long they want.

Nothings changed from last season and Raper saying they did an excellent job? **** me 68mins without a penalty.They did a real good job on Manly more like it.FFS this is basic refereeing and they cant get it right.

To be honest I don't worry about the sh#t refs now.I've become used to seeing Manly getting done over by the corupt organisation that is the NRL.

Now when I sit down and watch Manly I expect sh#t calls against us.It's just become the norm over the years.

In all seriousness, we also benefited from 2 toss of the coin video referee decisions. Robbo & Watmough's tries could of gone either way.

I'm not saying that the penalty count was accurate, but its a bit of give and take. To suggest that it was the referees that cost us the game is a bit rich on this occasion.

Spuds Bodyguard link said:
In all seriousness, we also benefited from 2 toss of the coin video referee decisions. Robbo & Watmough's tries could of gone either way.

I'm not saying that the penalty count was accurate, but its a bit of give and take. To suggest that it was the referees that cost us the game is a bit rich on this occasion.

Don't think anyone's saying we lost directly from ref calls Spud.More to the point that the Vermin could not have played 68min of 100% disciplined footy.Bloody hell it's near impossible if the ref's are being unbiased.

Spuds Bodyguard link said:

True but momentum is very powerful and can change the whole outcome of a game. I really believe we had of won if the penalty count did not stack against us like it did.

To be fair, neither team got a penalty for 22 minutes.

That said one of the other Rabbits trys I thought was suss because the ball was passed from the ground out of the tackle.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6