Des doesn't understand his job = major problem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bazeagle

Bencher
I'm sick of Des
every time we lose in the press conference he rolls his eyes, looks like he is so bored and over every question he get's asked
and he offers nothing as to an explanation
like last night - it wasn't our night, Oh Right Des, well thats really solid info, thanks mate
he always intimidates everyone in the room with his thinly disguised threatening vibe
its all done so no-one asks the REAL questions like:
whats actually going on behind the scenes Des to help us all understand why a team several classes above the opposition couldn't be bothered playing last night?
Des, you owe it to us fans to behave better in front of the media
the fans deserve to be treated with more respect, not just fobbed off with crap like last night's rank effort

BAZ link said:
I'm sick of Des
every time we lose in the press conference he rolls his eyes, looks like he is so bored and over every question he get's asked
and he offers nothing as to an explanation
like last night - it wasn't our night, Oh Right Des, well thats really solid info, thanks mate
he always intimidates everyone in the room with his thinly disguised threatening vibe
its all done so no-one asks the REAL questions like:
whats actually going on behind the scenes Des to help us all understand why a team several classes above the opposition couldn't be bothered playing last night?
Des, you owe it to us fans to behave better in front of the media
the fans deserve to be treated with more respect, not just fobbed off with crap like last night's rank effort

My sentiments exactly.Then Sea-Eagles recycles his embarrassing press conferences as "Des' Diary"(diahorrea).You'd think that members would get something that everyone else wasn't!!

I'd say getting us to the finals 2006-2009, and geting us to two Grand Finals in 2007-8 suggests he might know his job, but I think what's happened is Des hasn't moved on and most of the others (bar perhaps Ricky Stuart) have....2010 isn't 2006, and Des's refusal to "adapt" may in fact be the issue, but I do agree the press conferences are depressing so much so I don't ever bother watching.

Baz
if you think
that a major part of Des' job
is giving out beind the scenes info
in press conferences
then I'm afraid it's not Des
that has no idea

Gumby link said:
Baz
if you think
in press conferences
that has no idea

He could utter more than a couple of syllables!!The one after the Raiders game,he and Lyon only stayed for about 2 questions.It's embarrassing!!

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=Gumby link=topic=184435.msg281010#msg281010 date=1280791164]
Baz
if you think
in press conferences
that has no idea

He could utter more than a couple of syllables!!The one after the Raiders game,he and Lyon only stayed for about 2 questions.It's embarrassing!!
[/quote]

That's one more syllable then Wayne Bennett's usual press conference and that's win, lose or draw.

Ant80 link said:
[quote author=ayjay007 link=topic=184435.msg281012#msg281012 date=1280791372]
Baz
if you think
in press conferences
that has no idea

[/quote]

That's one more syllable then Wayne Bennett's usual press conference and that's win, lose or draw.
[/quote]

But,ant,do we want to be seen as going the wayne bennett way?I agree a bennett press conference has all the charisma of a porcelain urinal,but I would like to think Manly are above that level.

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=Ant80 link=topic=184435.msg281017#msg281017 date=1280791810]
Baz
if you think
in press conferences
that has no idea

[/quote]

[/quote]

But,ant,do we want to be seen as going the wayne bennett way?I agree a bennett press conference has all the charisma of a porcelain urinal,but I would like to think Manly are above that level.
[/quote]

It could be worse it could be the Ricky Stuart method and blame everyone else under the sun as to why his team didn't win.

Ant80 link said:
[quote author=ayjay007 link=topic=184435.msg281020#msg281020 date=1280791961]
Baz
if you think
in press conferences
that has no idea

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It could be worse it could be the Ricky Stuart method and blame everyone else under the sun as to why his team didn't win.

[/quote]

Maybe if they took the $10K protection off the refs,the coaches might give them a well earned serve.That would liven up some press conferences.That way the useless,blind pricks would actually have to do their job properly without the protection of the big fine for an angry,ripped-off coach!

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=Ant80 link=topic=184435.msg281023#msg281023 date=1280792379]
Baz
if you think
in press conferences
that has no idea

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe if they took the $10K protection off the refs,the coaches might give them a well earned serve.That would liven up some press conferences.That way the useless,blind pricks would actually have to do their job properly without the protection of the big fine for an angry,ripped-off coach!
[/quote]

BTW-players can abuse refs with long tirades,and call them F*****g cheats,and nothing happens to the players,so why can't a coach wade in and have a bit of a say about how these morons can't do their job properly!!??

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=ayjay007 link=topic=184435.msg281027#msg281027 date=1280792680]
[quote author=Ant80 link=topic=184435.msg281023#msg281023 date=1280792379]
Baz
if you think
in press conferences
that has no idea

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

BTW-players can abuse refs with long tirades,and call them F*****g cheats,and nothing happens to the players,so why can't a coach wade in and have a bit of a say about how these morons can't do their job properly!!??
[/quote]

In regards to players calling the Ref's ****ing cheats I would love to see what happens in junior football in NRL as soon as an explicit is directed at them automatic 5 week suspension. Imagine if it were in play now Thurston would be out for 20 weeks minimum.

Jatz Crackers link said:
Tallis got sent for the same thing.

True jatz,and it was a SoO.Normally you have to assassinate a president, or crash a plane into a tower to get sent off in SoO. No matter what his shortcomings,at least Harrigan (spell check) had some balls!

Des is certainly better at winning premierships than doing press conferences. 

What do you want Des to say. He is certainly not going to tell everyone that the players didn't have a dig. He doesn't need to say it because we all saw it. I'm sure Des is pissed off after we don't compete to our ability and feels that less is best in this situation. I can't blame him for that.

Can't believe that you are bagging Des for the performances...???!!!
As the old saying goes... "coaches get too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing".

Manly is class, Des is class and the effects of the salary cap / 10 interchange / 10 m rule ensures that if you aren't 100% committed - and not 90% or 95% as used to be ok - then you'll get done.

Lay of Des and back the boys to get back on track against the Storm.

The only thing I blame Hasler for in terms of our on-field problems is the fact that he is too loyal to the starting 17. I don't think most of our current on-field problems are his fault.

But yes, he really needs to learn how to work with the media. I have always said that this club doesn't give us enough information, and I will continue to stand by that because it is the truth. Even if he just learnt to say more than a few sentences at press conferences. I mean, we don't need to know every single little thing that happens with the club, but with injuries, re-signings, bad games etc., we deserve to have proper, official, current, information.

Hey... the press print everything we tell them.. ver batim. They never take anything out of context.

Why tell them anything? Go Des! Tell 'em nuthin'.
Des's job? I would say coaching would be the main criteria of his employment.
Isn't Zorba the mouthpiece? Regardless whether he's any good at it, Zorba's our man.

Yes, I'd like to hear some more of my team but I know I'm not gonna get from Des in an apres-game press conference, especially a game we just lost.

lismore_fan link said:
Hey... the press print everything we tell them.. ver batim. They never take anything out of context.

Why tell them anything? Go Des! Tell 'em nuthin'.
Des's job? I would say coaching would be the main criteria of his employment.
Isn't Zorba the mouthpiece? Regardless whether he's any good at it, Zorba's our man.

Yes, I'd like to hear some more of my team but I know I'm not gonna get from Des in an apres-game press conference, especially a game we just lost.

But Lismore,wouldn't you expect Des' diary (diarrhea),which goes out to members,to contain a little more than a rehash of the press conference?

Can't comment Ajay. Have never received Des's Diary! Dunno why? But it seems it's not worth complaining about anyway.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6