Depression Issues for Players - warning, heavy content

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkmPH1AwAA

Did anyone else find this segment of last week's Footy Show disturbing ?

I was absolutely astounded at the depths of depression that a physically healthy, active person can reach due to their non-performance on the field.

Brandon, turning up and meeting Preston Campbell as he was recounting his almost tragic night, was the spookiest coincidence ever.:angel:

Congratulations to the Produces for the professional, and non sensational way that they handled this sad and disturbing topic

Yes I saw the segment on the Footy Show on the night HM.

It was very well and respectfully done.

Personally I'm not surprised at how these men are not immune to the shackles of depression.

The personal and external pressures, often over many years, to perform, stay accountable and successful...you just can't measure.

They cop it from every corner when things go wrong, or they make the same mistakes many of us out here do, for ten-fold criticism.

And (as Preston alluded to) when they can no longer cut it in the top grade, they're quickly obsolete and expendable.

Really important piece for men everywhere, and thank God (or whomever you believe in) that Willie went to Reni's flat that night.

In all seriousness, and putting footy aside, that strength and love through friends, family , a partner (or a combination of all three) is often the only thing that ultimately can help us all.

Sadly as we saw, and see too often, even that's not always enough.

Well done to the guys doing the seminars (like Preston); the Footy Show (for once!); and you too @HappilyManly for highlighting such an important issue.

No amount of education for this real life issue will stop opposition fans from booing or heckling Manly players when they fail to perform on the field.

Snake copped it bad when he was falsely accused in 2009.
He used to have a full head of hair. The stress would have got to him.
Why wasn't that nasty girl exposed for the crime she committed? She could have completely ruined someone's life. What are the chances her ex crim father conspired after previously being done for frauds?

And now Gifty being forced out of the club he loves.
We should give him the best send offs instead of saying - "oh well.. we had his best years and it's business.. time to move on .. What a load of BS! It's not the culture we've embraced.

Lastly, in Reni's case, I can't blame him. He had to wear Parra's colours.
Seriously, I would be depressed too if I had to wear Parra's jersey.

What's the best send off we could possibly give him. ?
1. We give him the hugest cheer when he makes it back on the field.
2. He goes around the Brooky fence round 26 after the match, or before, by himself to say goodbye to the fans
3. He has a "Beaver like day" on GF day. I just want to see another one of those grubbers to the winger and Snake finshes it off !

HappilyManly said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkmPH1AwAA

Did anyone else find this segment of last week's Footy Show disturbing ?

I was absolutely astounded at the depths of depression that a physically healthy, active person can reach due to their non-performance on the field.

Brandon, turning up and meeting Preston Campbell as he was recounting his almost tragic night, was the spookiest coincidence ever.:angel:

Congratulations to the Produces for the professional, and non sensational way that they handled this sad and disturbing topic

Thanks Happily Manly.

Debated with myself whether i should make my views known on this topic as all it will do is probably create conflict or heated debate which is not my intention but i don't believe in depression.

I'm not going to elaborate(and i do have my reasons) why or come across as TC on a topic that is close to the hearts of many but i must admit this topic of depression really does get to me.

Technical Coach said:
Debated with myself whether i should make my views known on this topic as all it will do is probably create conflict or heated debate which is not my intention but i don't believe in depression.

I'm not going to elaborate(and i do have my reasons) why or come across as TC on a topic that is close to the hearts of many but i must admit this topic of depression really does get to me.

I respect your opinion but let me tell you it does exist. You feel the world is against you and no one cares. Often the only way you can see out of a deep depression is to take your life.
The family and partners have a terrible time worrying if a phone is not answered or can't contact the person if they have suicided.
Depression is a very real and very debilitating condition and sufferers need help and support.

TWO DOGS said:
Technical Coach said:

I respect your opinion but let me tell you it does exist. You feel the world is against you and no one cares. Often the only way you can see out of a deep depression is to take your life.
The family and partners have a terrible time worrying if a phone is not answered or can't contact the person if they have suicided.
Depression is a very real and very debilitating condition and sufferers need help and support.

You're a generous man @TWO DOGS

I was hoping no-one dignified that view by responding, but of course you're right mate.

Otherwise healthy people, including sadly too many young people, don't take their own lives if they're overwhelmingly happy or optimistic.

It's an absurd statement, deeply insulting to many ppl and their loved ones, and even a careless attitude to express, to say the least.

The stigma and lack of empathy for mental illness is thankfully changing for the better in a complex and challenging world now. And it's important we continue that progress.

Fortunately Technical Coach stated he didn't want to elaborate or defend his opinion.

Hopefully he's man enough to do that, and let his statement speak for itself.

And all the best to you Two Dogs too!

TWO DOGS said:
Technical Coach said:

I have some small dark places in my mind that never heal e.g. 97 GF, 2013 GF, death of family members. I imagine that depression must feel like those dark places taking over the rest of your mind, making it difficult to face normal life.

Technical Coach said:

Not surprising TC. Depression is a mental state that mostly affects people that can readily manifest self doubt and dark thoughts about themselves at the slightest comment, action or even look by another person. Over sensitive? Perhaps, but it seems to be way deeper, stemming from childhood in a lot of cases.

I doubt very much that someone with such a healthy ego as yourself would ever be bitten by the Black Dog (and that is a very good thing for you) or believe in its existence.

A very important report and well done to the Footy show. Maybe we should remember when we yell abuse at players or refs or others or post stuff on social media that these people may be going through this very thing. I don't understand it and unless you go through it you never will.

mickqld said:
A very important report and well done to the Footy show. Maybe we should remember when we yell abuse at players or refs or others or post stuff on social media that these people may be going through this very thing. I don't understand it and unless you go through it you never will.

I remember a bloke giving it to Luke Rooney all game - laughing at his hair, telling him he's lazy etc. Rooney on the wing would have heard most of it. It was quite funny. That was the game manly came from 26 points down to win the match by 10.

Not saying people don't get depressed to the point of wanting to kill themselves or just feeling down every/most days, this does exist.

The state of depression is real the illness is not, it is a state of mind not a brain disease. The causes are psychological and manifest itself in your psychology and biology due to stress hormones.

A chemical imbalance could be argued as the trigger for all emotions from love to hate, happiness to feeling depressed, pleasure and pain---without some imbalance our emotions would be in neutral all the time.

Just type in Google "drug list that treats depression" the list is sickening and in itself tells you that it is all a big con.

Have no problem with people disagreeing just stating my views not here to bash.

PS (River give up mate---seriously learn to agree to disagree and move on I'm not taking pot shots at you so why make it personal)

After @TWO DOGS responded, I felt I couldn't let your ridiculous opinion slide TC.

And once again you're in a vast minority.

It's also disrespectful and insulting, and even dangerous to peddle such tripe.

I'm not the only one here unimpressed either, if you didn't notice.

One thing to be a self-appointed expert on footy; quite another to do the same on mental health.

And you're hypocritical in the extreme to once again plead you're not trying to cause disquiet or debate when we all see that's exactly what you want.

You're intelligent enough to recognize that so once and for all, enough with the charade.

Nothing you say is worth respect or taking seriously now...especially as you ''weren't going to elaborate or defend your view'' yet again.

Go back to your parallel universe, or seek some professional help yourself.

Haha, that's better, I don't agree with all of that last post!

TC it has been a long battle that is not yet won for people in general to accept that mental illness is real. It is not so simple as to say, 'snap out of it', or 'toughen up', or 'put a smile on your dial'. RE is right that the very attitude you espouse is itself harmful to sufferers of mental illness, including depression.

But these are the bits I don't agree with :D
RiverEagle said:
you're in a vast minority.
Presumptive and irrelevant!!

RiverEagle said:
I'm not the only one here unimpressed either
irrelevant

RiverEagle said:
Nothing you say is worth respect or taking seriously now
No, why not take every comment on its merits?

I haven't watched the clip but I have someone VERY close to me who has had depression and was later diagnosed with bipolar. They cannot 'think positive' or 'snap out of it' in down times. It's real and people that don't get what they're going through make it worse for them.
Break your leg and you get all the sympathy in the world. Have mental issues and you need to get over it?
Having seen a loved one go through it I'd rather break my femur every day than go through what he's been through.
People that live with and admit that they have mental issues are extremely brave IMO.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Haha, that's better, I don't agree with all of that last post!

TC it has been a long battle that is not yet won for people in general to accept that mental illness is real. It is not so simple as to say, 'snap out of it', or 'toughen up', or 'put a smile on your dial'. RE is right that the very attitude you espouse is itself harmful to sufferers of mental illness, including depression.

But these are the bits I don't agree with :D
RiverEagle said:
you're in a vast minority.
Presumptive and irrelevant!!

RiverEagle said:
I'm not the only one here unimpressed either
irrelevant

RiverEagle said:
Nothing you say is worth respect or taking seriously now
No, why not take every comment on its merits?

Same BS, different week from you too.

I can speak from very personal experience that the attitude to, and acceptance of mental health issues in the wider community has grown exponentially, even in my lifetime.

You only have to look at things like beyondblue and numerous agencies and avenues for people needing help (even crucially out here in rural areas too) to realize this massive shift and change for the better.

Especially for men and young adults who do kill themselves out here far too often.

So from my experiences TC is in a vast minority (hence my opinion there).

Of course there's a long way to go, and some people will never comprehend this, as TC proves.

The point (and relevance) of pointing out other POSTERS in this thread was clearly because TC singled me out as though it was just me.

Look back a bit more closely and you'll get it.

I do take every post on its merits, including yours...so there's the reason TC has lost any credibility he had left with me.

I don't know how old or experienced you are in certain areas ( you hide ALL your details)...

But rather than seeking cheap technical points over me, and amusement in yet another serious discussion, focus on the point and far more important issues here.

Technical Coach stick to what you are best at. Pretending you are part of the eagles assistant coaching staff.

Reckon you might even have framed screen shots on the toilet wall when some people on here thought you were Kelly Egan. Your moniker is presumptuous and so are your ideas on rugby league. And depression. Don't be a twit and if you state something like you did don't hide behind the excuse that you didn't want to bring it up...but did anyway. Your analysis of rugby league is nothing more than that of an avid gus Gould follower so stop pretending you are something you are not. Like a mental health expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7