Demetriou vs Gallop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
As much as I hate AFL, hats off to Demetriou for satisfying all stakeholders; TV executives, pay TV, mobile media, clubs, players, fans. Great achievement.

Only a fool would not know that the next NRL deal was decided today. You can bet on channel 9, foxtel and telstra getting the same arrangement; only difference will be how much Gallop will get for it.

Ratings is the only thing that counts in the media, so Gallop will need to get more than 1.25b over 5 years.

I don't know how we would be able to justify getting less money and still look in the mirror and think that he is the best person to lead the commission.

"I don't know how we would be able to justify getting less money and still look in the mirror and think that he is the best person to lead the commission".

Or to look in said mirror and see that ugly, scarecrow-like visage, with the male equivalent of the PM's hee-haw voice to go with it - staring back at you..

If we could get 1.5 bill over 5 "seasons", that would be more ideal.We could raise the cap by almost 1 mill per annum, per team, and the NRL could stump up around 130% of that in additional capital.

I say seasons, because I'm sure these things are measured in years, but if Gallop went for season, another deal could be brought about in 4 years and say 9 months, and at this money, that amounts to a lot.

I'd almost bet the Goose will flop on his side, take it up the bum and sign for about 750 Million stating it was 50% better than the previous 5 years....of course keeping his News Ltd Bosses happy.

I can smell it coming!!

I'd hate to tell you this but Demetriou is as much if not more despised by alot of AFL fans more than Gallop is. He runs the sport like a dictator and most of the media are petrified of questioning the AFLs decisions.

Who cares about popularity.

A "leader" who is subservient to the media, or who the media are subservient to?

A "leader" who gets half the price for a game worth more, or the one who gets double for a lesser game?

A "leader" who sacrifices a player's career and reputation - sinking the boot in - for short-term personal gains, or one who backs the players, and presumes innocence until guilt proven?

A "leader" who serves the media, or who serves the game?

The choice is easy.

Your maths is a bit off there Ryan.

Lets say we get $1 Billion and expand to an 18 team competition. This means we have 20 parties that have an equal share in the ownership of the ARL (IC run), including NSWRL and QRL.

$1 Billion / 5 years = $200 Million per year

$200 Million per year / 20 clubs = $10 Million for each club PER YEAR (and $10 Million for the NSWRL and QRL each). That is 3 times the amount they are currently getting. I would expect on that deal a rise of the Cap by about $3 million minimum to $7 million. This would also mean the wages are fully funded plus the club pockets $3 Million per year...and that is before sponsorships. Add them on and a club could quite easily be pocketing $5 million + per year. We'd be able to build the extensions ourselves by the next TV deal on that kind of cash!!

(This is estimated as we all know the administration will need a cut per year. However, this can always come from sponsorship from Telstra and the yearly Government payment to keep the GF in Sydney. It wouldn't cost too much to keep the back end stuff going. Too much of our money is going back to News Corp atm)

On the current deal each club SHOULD be getting $5-6 Million. Unfortunately we are getting $3 Million and the rest is going to News Corp and the ARL.

Finally lets put this into perspective. If for arguements sake we were to get $1.5 Billion, an extra $500 million to the above dollar we are looking at:

500 / 5 = $100 million / 20 = $5 million PER CLUB PER YEAR extra!!!

Therefore, we are talking:

$15 million for Manly (and each of the other clubs) per year
$15 million for the NSWRL and QRL each per year

If you want your club to save $5 million + a year we could make the cap $10 million... thats $400 000 PER PLAYER in your top 25 on average. No club in the competition would have to worry about losing players anymore. No club would have to worry about debts. More companies would buy into clubs to make them financially stable. News Corp would get their money's worth out of Brisbane. Our competition would be able to compete against the best of them.

That's why we need to hit $1 Billion on this deal and I don't think Gallop is the man that can do it. Our only advantage is the fact that Nine lost the AFL rights. If they believe they could lose the NRL rights they will do what Seven did and up their price for the competition. With Ten having a bit of a go as well might bump this up as well. Foxtel is the worry. If they have already spent 600 million on the rights to AFL, how much do they have left for the NRL, a game they have already been showing all games live on?

I have always respected Demetriou, so much so that I wish he was our CEO. He really knows how to run that company and I think once the IC comes in, Gallop should do the negotiating...but for one reason. If we don't get $1 billion, if we don't get expansion, if we don't get to choose the games pre season like the AFL, if we don't get LIVE GAMES IN MELBOURNE each week, then we cut off his head, fire his arse and there is nothing News Corp can say or do about it. It will just prove what we have always known: Gallop has always been selling the NRL out for his real bosses News Corp.

One last thing: I think the fact we don't have a pre-season cup will be to our detriment this TV deal. That would have to be worth at least $200 million in revenue over 5 years at least. That may be the reason (and should be the reason) why we get $1 Billion and the AFL got $1.25 billion

Jono,i dont know where your figures come from but Rupert owns Foxtel....he has absolute billions

Foxtel can afford another $600Mil if they want to
But your talking about 2 states and a half following NRL
where most states follow AFL,even our beloved NSW and QLD

The Eagle said:
Jono,i dont know where your figures come from but Rupert owns Foxtel....he has absolute billions

Foxtel can afford another $600Mil if they want to
But your talking about 2 states and a half following NRL
where most states follow AFL,even our beloved NSW and QLD

I agree but that's why we need to expand in the next deal to Perth and grow our Queensland base. We have the biggest TV support in Queensland and NSW at the moment. We haven't been given a chance in Victoria as games there aren't live. I would love to see the results for the live game they had. As for WA, they get a team and the fans will follow. One extra game per week, a whole new market, and live games in Melbourne should be enough to give us $1 Billion

Whilst I agree the clubs will (well should anyway) get more money if we get a similar tv deal to the AFL, I don't think it is as simple as dividing the money evenly between everyone, some of that money needs to go into the running of the game and other associated expenses.

The NRL, or whatever form the ruling body will take, needs to promote, pay officials and admin staff, support grass roots etc. etc.

If all the money were to be evenly divided then there would be no money left to run the game, unless the teams then hand part of their money back for the necessary expenses.

If we get a $200m per year deal, $100m will go to "the administration" of the game (pays for important stuff like Gallop's salary and referee training), $20m will go to the Melbourne Storm for their other book and the other $80m will be split amongst the clubs.

Disagree. The grass roots is run by the NSWRL and QRL. This is where their money goes. Plus each club might be required to pump a million or 2 in as well. As I said in my post, there are admin costs as well but this can be covered by 20 million a year. Not much when we are talking about 200 million +

Don't forget this is TV deal only. What about sponsorship on top of this? That can quite easily cover the adminstration costs.

As for the 50% to the NRL that will be different as well. Don't forget that when the IC comes in we own 1/18 of the ARL. Therefore we get 1/18 of the money. Add 2 more clubs and it becomes 1/20. (18 clubs, NSWRL, QRL). Therefore you would think that we would get that extra money as well.

It all comes down to 2 things:

1) getting over $1 billion
2) starting the IC before the negotiations

To me the issue revolves around knowing the value of the total pie and then knowing the proportional value of how that total is divided up.

One clever way for this to happen is to do what the AFL players association is trying to do, which is to force an allocation of a certain percentage of revenue to the games players. This would need to be audited and for transparency sake would require knowledge transfer of both the revenue pool and its distribution.

Wont happen with News Ltd involved but the IC can & should make it happen.

Demetriou runs the AFL and doesnt care who he upsets or whos toes he steps on, Gallop is muppet to ARL/NSWRL/QRL/News and will not confront anyone.
Demetriou vs Gallop is like choosing between and bucket of gold and a bucket of sh!t - as previously stated NO CONTEST.

As for TV rights now it looks like 9 & 10 are no getting the AFL they might join forces to knock out Fox. If Fox do get ity then I hope that Rugby League gets its own channel like the AFL.

Rambo1987 said:
Demetriou runs the AFL and doesnt care who he upsets or whos toes he steps on, Gallop is muppet to ARL/NSWRL/QRL/News and will not confront anyone.
Demetriou vs Gallop is like choosing between and bucket of gold and a bucket of sh!t - as previously stated NO CONTEST.

As for TV rights now it looks like 9 & 10 are no getting the AFL they might join forces to knock out Fox. If Fox do get ity then I hope that Rugby League gets its own channel like the AFL.

9 & 10 are still a reasonable chance at getting an AFL game as CH7 need to recoup some of their outlay and it would be very expensive for them trying to cover 4 games every week. The other rumoured possibility is that 9 might look at a swap deal with 7 which would involved one AFL game for one NRL game. I think this is the way we are heading. We'll have both sports across all FTA channels and it wouldn't surprise me if we see something like a Thursday night league game in the near future.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8