Delmege forks out big bucks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Delmege forks out big bucks
16/02/2009 5:32 PM
Adam Lucius
Sportal
http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/delmege-pays-up-65158

Manly co-owner Max Delmege has forked out almost a quarter of a million dollars he owed the club while giving no guarantee his feud with fellow majority stakeholder Scott Penn will end.

Delmege told Sportal on Monday he had electronically transferred $228,400 to meet sponsorship and ownership obligations, but remains bitterly disappointed the club's financial plight was played out in public.

The two owners have fallen out over the drama, with Delmege accusing Penn of attempting to take control of the club.
"Everything has been paid and is up to date. The money has been deposited in their account," Delmege confirmed.

"I can't believe this has all started over nothing. It's ridiculous and nothing more than a power move"

"If they want a war they have got one. I think I've got to assert a bit of authority once again."

Asked if the faction fighting at the club had tempted him to sever ties with the club he saved from financial ruin, Delmege shot back: "I've never once complained or whinged and said 'they're draining me' of money."

"I mustn't walk away from this. It's not fair to the fans who have been so good to me."

"I'm not going anywhere."

Sea Eagles chairman Bob Reilly confirmed Delmege had met his latest financial obligation and expressed hope peace would break out.

"The cash injection from the Delmege Group certainly goes a long way towards helping repair some of the damages that's been caused over the past week,'' Reilly said.

Manly skipper Matt Orford, en route to England for the premiers' World Club Challenge showdown with Leeds, rejected talk the drama would impact on the players.

"The boys are just excited about the trip and are not too concerned about that," he said.

"That's why we've got the guys in the right places to take care of the office and the admin stuff."

"We go out there and play footy - that's our job – and that's where it starts and ends for us."

"They (Delmege and Penn) are both businessmen and I'm sure they have got the Manly Sea Eagles as their main priority and I'm sure it will be resolved once we get back.''

Coach Des Hasler added: "We haven't even spoken about it. It's a separate issue and nothing to do with this team, these players."

"If they want a war they have got one. I think I've got to assert a bit of authority once again."

Time for cracking some Penn eggs :)

the good thing is that both owners want to remain owners, its not like one wants to bail out in fact it seems the opposite. Having one owner instead of might be of more benefit but either way both families love manly.

Go the old guy.  War!  Bring it on.  Carpetbaggers die.  Send those private school ****ers of to rugby.

One can't help think that the Penn PR machine is a little better oiled then the Delmege one.........the Penns seem comfortable (or determined) playing out this saga in the media for whatever reason. I'd say that the years of smoke and mirror advertising and promotions from their time in the "health" industry has taught them a few lessons in how to utilise the media to their advantage.

Seems to me that 2 face and the penguin will be gone before the year is out.

And Mayer pays the price for having alliances with part owner. I lesson learned I guess.

Max is returning fire. This is getting uglier by the day. Might be hard to find an "independent" board member given the events of this last week.

Manly co-owner Max Delmage has demanded chairman Scott Penn resign

February 16, 2009 MANLY co-owner Max Delmege claims to have paid his debts to the NRL club and is now demanding the resignation of Sea Eagles chairman and fellow owner Scott Penn.

In the latest twist to the ugly backroom war engulfing the reigning premiers, Delmege said the only way forward for the club was for an independent chairman to be appointed.

"This is what I'm calling for, that Scott Penn stand down from chairman because we've got to have somebody independent,'' Delmege said.

"I think that would be fair to say - equal shareholders, independent chairman.''

Penn wasn't the only prominent Manly figure in Delmege's sights with the property developer also calling for club media manager Peter Peters to resign.

Peters claimed Delmege had behaved "un-Manly'' for publicly backing chief executive Grant Mayer only to vote against him at a board meeting two days later.

Delmege said he had transferred unpaid sponsorship commitments, believed to be worth almost $230,000, to the club's coffers on Monday.

But he denied money was behind his bitter falling out with Penn.

"Manly Warringah rugby league club is bigger than the Delmege family and the Penn family,'' Delmege said.

"With respect it's not a monetary thing, it's a power thing.

"This is trying to get control of something by using a small amount of money as a tool.

"Very wrong, very inappropriate and the people and the supporters of Manly rugby league see through all this.

"They're not stupid - they know who came in and saved the club.

"It's bloody ridiculous, that's the only way to describe it.''

The Sea Eagles players and coaching staff flew out for England on Sunday where they will begin preparations for next month's World Club Challenge against Leeds.

They will play a trial game against London Harlequins this weekend.

AAP

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4