Delighted with that effort tonight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NYEagle

Bencher
I can only see positives.

Sure, we lost, but we missed a heck of a lot of opportunities through dropped balls and Orford kicking always a touch long.

What I saw tonight was a very DOUR football team in Manly. We have some big big boys up front and everyone one of them played super - Kite was off the charts and Perry, Hall, Stewart, Cuthbo were super. Watmough will be ready to add a big game soon too. Look who dominated posession and peppered the opponents line over the last 15 minutes. Manly finished very strong tonight. This was good stuff from a team that will not take a backward step and is ready to win the premiership this year.

You have to pay tribute to the Storm who displayed incredible defence tonight and stood up to a ravenous Manly despite being outplayed for a lot of the game. But the Storm can't keep getting up all the time, and many key players (Inglis and Smith comes to mind) were shut down. Only Slater really threatened. I think Smith is on tired legs anyway. This said, I'll be VERY interested to see how next weeks games go. Last year the Storm backed up strongly after the Manly Brookie game to win easily at Canberra, and also were up for the gf after that brutal Parra semi final. But I have a feeling this year will be different. If the Storm put in a sub par performance next week against their opponent this will give a big clue to just how much better Manly is this year, and how strong the Storm are at this point of the season. I'm tipping a weakend Storm next week - we hurt them.

My only concern is that Melbourne are still in Orford's head. I say to Matty - watch the tape, look at this forward pack you have in front of you and GET OVER IT.

NY Eagle

There were a lot of positives I agree. You can add Bell to the list, probably playing his best game all year.

But the fact still remains that this was a high pressure game (just like what we will experience in the semis) and we didn't perform to our optimum. Too much dropped ball and poor options. Kicking game (long and short) wasn't good enough for a team who are looking to win the comp. Storm showed more composure and took their chances when they came.  

Is it just me, or does it seem that we are creeping up on Melbourne, but maybe not in time for 2008? They are losing Crocker, Folau, and Geyer will be a year older. We are losing Bell (33) and Beaver (34) and are gaining Bailey and Williams. Most other teams will not be up to our standing in 2009, except for the Sharks who have recruited well and will be with us at the top in my opinion. 2009 seems to be the year of the Sea Eagle. But if we could jag one this year, all very good!! ;)

Storm - Weaker, and still good, but we should surpass them.
Sharks - Stronger, with Barrett and Tupou. Our main rivals?
Roosters - Same old. Will be up there, but don't worry me.
Broncos - Have signed Folau but Lockyer a year older and have lost one or two young kids.
Eels - Will be in a mini-rebuilding phase
Knights - Will be tough, but a few years behind us yet
Tigers - No threat
Bulldogs - No threat
Panthers - Rebuilding. Will be a few years before they mature.Will peak in 2010-2011
Rabbitohs - No threat while ever they keep signing 30 year olds such as Wesser!
Dragons - New coach, no Gasnier or Ryles. mini-rebuilding.
Cowboys - will bounce back with new coach but no threat
Raiders - A dark horse. Good, young team on the rise. loss of Carney will hurt. Will peak in 2010.
Titans - will be strong and maybe top 4 next year. Should have their measure when the whips are cracking though.

The way I see it, 2009 is our window of opportunity

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6