1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defensive lesson

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ricardo, Sep 5, 2016.

1. ricardo

ricardo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 70
    Manly has had a rubbish year and I thought I would help the coaching staff by stating why.

DEFENCE!

Please have a look at the following video. It's a bit old now but as relevant now as ever.

http://m.nrl.com/the-breakdown-with-matt-elliott-defence/tabid/10959/contentid/757593/default.aspx

After viewing this have a look at one of Manly's games and hit pause every now and then to see where our players are. Our problem is the opposition is allowed to get up and play the ball too fast which in turn doesn't allow our defensive line to get set and push forward. Simple stuff, but it's been like this every game.

Whoever the new coach will be should instill the mantra "hold them up, push them back" so our defensive line can get set and then come forward.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,841 / 103
    If this is the tactic for rugby league these days then it is a sad state of affairs.
    Hold them down and give penalties away.
    Seriously?
    Whatever happened to scoring tries?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,750 / 258
    Maybe ask Bellamy and Scam Smith that question, they are the masters at it and look where they are!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ricardo

ricardo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 70
    Yes this is what the game has become

5. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
    Elliott

too funny

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Harry Smith

Harry Smith I think i'm actually a bloody Sea Eagle

Ratings:
    +734 / 75
    Our terrible defence has come from Myles, Brown and the injury replacements so we can't worry too bad as long as Matai returns to the backline with snake likely at the back, Taufua who is a bruiser in defence (usually, can have a shocker otherwise) walker in the other centre (not the best defence but he can be decent, better then Williame and has speed to ensure attackers don't run around us) Trbojevic likely one more year in wing and we are fixed... But need the manly culture back so bye bye Barrett (might not be too bad of a coach but not a manly style of coach), Cartwright and Bozo, Hello Des or Toovs, well we can only hope :(

7. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    We have the same coach for next year, and he"s a real Einstein. Therefore the same blind mistakes will be made, and once again we will finish 11th ~ 13th.
    I wish it wasn't so. So long as it's Bozo / Twenty the team may as well coach themselves.

8. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    Don't you mean Ironstine or Rocket Surgeon????