Defence Under Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sorry for makin your point again about playin the game here it takes me ages to type on this bloody iphone you guys had 50 replies by the time i finished ha ha.

WAMF said:
Ryan said:
Also, Jason King looks like he is either thinner, fitter, or more mobile..don't know what really?? He looks good.

I think he is injury free for the first time in yonks. He and T-Rex were my pick of the forwards.

yet, we still looked ordinary and lost

HK_Eagle said:
Frogz said:
You got to be joking Ryan. 1st game...overseas....pissing down rain...what do you expect. Leeds defence was very very good tonight.

so, why wasn't our defense "very very good tonight"?

Given the number of opportunities the chooms had, the defence was pretty good, especially on the goal line. Didn't see Leeds score a try like DCE's, did you?

Try and place the game in perspective. Obviously Manly were far better than the scoreline indicated. They were better than they were against Cronulla and they came through with no major injury problems. So let the Poms pretend they are the greatest exponents of club 'roogby' for 2012 and go back to playing 'Superleague' in one or two English counties, and let's focus on the real deal - premiership 2012.

g'day,admittedly poor miss by matai for their first try,should of smashed him with amatai special,needed to trust inside defender,and wolf would ,in hindsight(easy to say from here)been better to let pom bloke catch the ball and make the tackle.The last try we had two blokes going for the ball no lack of commitment the bounce going their way,and an intercept which on another day would have been a try to us.Apart from that their certainly seemed to be plenty intent and passion evident by three blokes chasing the runaway,and the big boys showed a bit of fire so still plenty of encouraging signs.
cheers mike

Geez some people have hit the panic button early this year . We have had to go to the other side of the world and have 5 games away from home to start the NRL comp . I will be impressed if we can win 2 of the next five . The real season starts after the SOO if we can win our games at brookie and string a few together after that anything is possible with the experience of our side.

What was wrong with the defence from a coaching perspective ? Matai balled watched twice and left his man. How can Toovey be responsible for that ?

HK_Eagle said:
conanu said:
Could you imagine if Leeds had to travel to Australia with half a game under their belt and play us 3 weeks into our normal season at brookie on a friday night. Please! we would have pulled thier pants down. That game helps the english champs and ruins the aussie teams thats why they go back to back every year. And also dont say we have had cronulla put 38 points on us it was more like 2 trys to one. Our real players didnt come on till the second half in that game. We have had about 4 ligit trys scored against us to 2. Im not worried we won it in 09 and look how well we did after that.

so, why were the last 3 ARL teams able to do it and we couldn't tonight?

Its because we got tired of the English claiming that they were better after losing 5 in a row. Aussie clubs decided to take it seriously and prepare with matches over there, however after winning it aussie teams have caused problems for the regular season here . They have realised its not worth trouble but are being forced to play it. I think if it was saints going back again they would have done it lightly too. Its no suprise that a team that has had 10 years or more since the last gf in australia take this game seriously if it is like us and melbourne second time round you dont really care as much cause the damage it causes your season. Im actually suprised we went as well as we did. Also that field headingly is tiny which why leeds could keep it tight in defence. The ground we played them at in 09 was ellend road which is wider. Headingly is smaller than brookie its a dump.

I would be interested to know how the boys are training ie are they training for the first game rather than the preseason

Phantar said:
HK_Eagle said:
Frogz said:
You got to be joking Ryan. 1st game...overseas....pissing down rain...what do you expect. Leeds defence was very very good tonight.

so, why wasn't our defense "very very good tonight"?

Given the number of opportunities the chooms had, the defence was pretty good, especially on the goal line. Didn't see Leeds score a try like DCE's, did you?

Try and place the game in perspective. Obviously Manly were far better than the scoreline indicated. They were better than they were against Cronulla and they came through with no major injury problems. So let the Poms pretend they are the greatest exponents of club 'roogby' for 2012 and go back to playing 'Superleague' in one or two English counties, and let's focus on the real deal - premiership 2012.

umm... let's be real and acknowledge their best kicked our best asses... regardless of what minor advantages they held, it's there to be won in the mind not on the field... and Manly sucked big time today...

conanu said:
HK_Eagle said:
conanu said:
Could you imagine if Leeds had to travel to Australia with half a game under their belt and play us 3 weeks into our normal season at brookie on a friday night. Please! we would have pulled thier pants down. That game helps the english champs and ruins the aussie teams thats why they go back to back every year. And also dont say we have had cronulla put 38 points on us it was more like 2 trys to one. Our real players didnt come on till the second half in that game. We have had about 4 ligit trys scored against us to 2. Im not worried we won it in 09 and look how well we did after that.

so, why were the last 3 ARL teams able to do it and we couldn't tonight?

Its because we got tired of the English claiming that they were better after losing 5 in a row. Aussie clubs decided to take it seriously and prepare with matches over there, however after winning it aussie teams have caused problems for the regular season here . They have realised its not worth trouble but are being forced to play it. I think if it was saints going back again they would have done it lightly too. Its no suprise that a team that has had 10 years or more since the last gf in australia take this game seriously if it is like us and melbourne second time round you dont really care as much cause the damage it causes your season. Im actually suprised we went as well as we did. Also that field headingly is tiny which why leeds could keep it tight in defence. The ground we played them at in 09 was ellend road which is wider. Headingly is smaller than brookie its a dump.

fantastic, thank you. i now have a wonderful excuse for us.

Let's be real? OK
Manly were always going to be underdone compared to Leeds. That was not a minor advantage its a bloody huge advantage.

WAMF said:
Let's be real? OK
Manly were always going to be underdone compared to Leeds. That was not a minor advantage its a bloody huge advantage.

yeah, it's conveniently huge when we got done, but wasn't so conveniently huge the last 3 years that NRL teams won lol

We are in for a very tough start this season. The WCC is done and dusted, but now we have to fly back and take on the Warriors then the Tigers five days later. There's every chance we'll start 2012 at 0-2. People need to be prepared for that. If it happens, it won't be Toovey's fault, but I'm almost certain there'll be plenty of threads here suggesting otherwise.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
What was wrong with the defence from a coaching perspective ? Matai balled watched twice and left his man. How can Toovey be responsible for that ?
In walks the voice of reason and someone that has a clue.

I am not too concerned, we looked very rusty and their defense was great, as well as them being allowed to slow the ruck down a fair bit and I think either their line speed was supersonic or they were leaving early but they were quick in wrapping us up.

They managed to wrap up Williams and contain his offload, and we made a few bad options in attack that cost us. Our kicking game was the worst I have seen for us since the heady days of Jye Mullane, with a few good kicks from Foran, but in general we let ourselves down.

When we started to click we looked good.
Now moving onto the season we just need a couple of games to click into gear again and we should do quite well.

Jason King has become a first class grub in my opinion and his "Co-captaincy", which I think is a farce anyway, should be stripped from him. Leading with an elbow when we are twenty out and on the first tackle is just unforgiveable. The guy has a massive melon on his shoulders, you would think there is a brain in there somewhere, wouldn't you?

HK_Eagle said:
WAMF said:
Let's be real? OK

yeah, it's conveniently huge when we got done, but wasn't so conveniently huge the last 3 years that NRL teams won lol

When we won the WCC in 09 it was a super huge effort, plus Burrow was out of the game after 10 odd minutes.
This year, he was pretty much the difference.
It doesn't matter which way you slice the cake, the Sea Eagles put in a pretty decent effort today. Just a little bit rusty but all in all if you look at it from a trial perspective, there is much to look forward too if we can get the best wing combo's happening.

Daniel said:
I am not too concerned, we looked very rusty and their defense was great, as well as them being allowed to slow the ruck down a fair bit and I think either their line speed was supersonic or they were leaving early but they were quick in wrapping us up.

They managed to wrap up Williams and contain his offload, and we made a few bad options in attack that cost us. Our kicking game was the worst I have seen for us since the heady days of Jye Mullane, with a few good kicks from Foran, but in general we let ourselves down.

When we started to click we looked good.
Now moving onto the season we just need a couple of games to click into gear again and we should do quite well.

Jason King has become a first class grub in my opinion and his "Co-captaincy", which I think is a farce anyway, should be stripped from him. Leading with an elbow when we are twenty out and on the first tackle is just unforgiveable. The guy has a massive melon on his shoulders, you would think there is a brain in there somewhere, wouldn't you?
I've copped **** hear over the years for big almost as big a fan of his as kingy fan. But he was poor tonight. You gotta put it down to lack of game time. Your right though that elbow isn't the **** u expect from the captain

Cambo said:
ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
In walks the voice of reason and someone that has a clue.

how can Toovey be responsible for that? I will ignore that question as flippant and not thought out too carefully... are you for real? How can the coach be responsible for the defensive performance of his/her players? lol... so what is a coach responsible for then???

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6