1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defamation

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by swoop, Mar 12, 2009.

1. swoop

swoop Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,201 / 16
    If Stewart is cleared I bet there's many reporters looking through their notes and articles wondering if they have defamed Brett. I hope Brett can sue a heap of them.

2. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    They may be low life bottom feeders, but they know the letter of the law on that front, you can be sure of that. It's how they make their living, treading that fine line of defamation and creative "reporting".

3. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yep, and every printed word would effectively go through people who are well versed in the law and its boundaries.

4. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    that does not mean they get it wrong, they are after all only lawyers.

i would know

5. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    there is also some protection under freedom of the press I believe

6. Cletus

Cletus Active Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I didn't think we had any freedom of the press laws? I know journos have been jailed for contempt for not naming sources, and I thought the freedom of the press was just an US thing

7. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
  8. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Yeah, Derryn Hinch (the human headline) went to gaol for contempt over naming somebody on his radio show a few years back during a current court case (I think it was a paedophile or it's victim).

9. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    Its funny since Stewy looks like hes going to be cleared of sexual assault its been spun to a drinking thing.

Yet the NRL is full of Alcahol sponsors. why dont they set an example and cut those sponsors then? Yeah Right.

10. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    Brett will hopefully just go back to play footy and not worry about any defamation case - if he does it will result in the end of his career because the media run the game - just look at all the TV & radio personalities who say jump and Gallop jumps.

Look at Michael Crockett incident after he was acquitted - he doesn’t even have a club this year. Laffrancie got to play and still made the SOO side.

I don’t see it being a finished by the media at all and Brett will be hounded almost out of the game

My only question is what if it was the Broncos - would we have the same media attack - I dont think so

11. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    good point Rambo. Sydney club.. more media exposure. If it was in Melbourne you probably wouldnt even hear about it.

12. blitzkrieg

blitzkrieg Active Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    You would have to go a long way to find a bad word written about the Broncos up here. It is a real media lovefest, but I guess they are using it to their advantage and good luck to them.

13. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    You would have to go a long way to find a bad word written about the Broncos up here. It is a real media lovefest, but I guess they are using it to their advantage and good luck to them.
    [/quote]

Remembering chatting to Ben Walker and storys of his Broncos days and that they didnt have to for beers anywhere in Brisbane - He was shocked he had to pay for his drinks down here at first