deep discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I heard Tunks on Talkin Sport saying Manly do not have enough depth. I didn't hear the start of the discussion but I was a bit surprised. Before the season started I thought that depth was our Achilles heel, but I love our depth currently as a lot of players have stepped up.

The only small concern is that Foran & Cherry have (I think) played each game, so if one of them went down in the finals our fluency would be majorly disrupted. But you could say the same for virtually every team?

Foran/DCE go down Killer to 5/8 Hoppa to centres - no problem. Stack of forward depth (another prop would be nice).

Tunks has put his head into too many scrums

RLW stated that manly doesn't have enough depth, mainly because of the halves. They had some rating system on depth and Manly's was one of the worst...

That article i read was earlier in the season, but i think throughout the season manly has proved to have great depth!
I think any team would struggle if one of their halves got injured.

He bases his opinion on the fact that both the NSW Cup side and the Toyota Cup side are at the bottom of the table. He says the Bulldogs have better depth. He has no idea. I would much prefer our roster than theirs. I'd rather be 2nd in the NRL and miss the finals in the other two grades than the other way round.

We have no issues with depth, the only position on our roster that doesn't have a backup that has NRL appearances under their belt is halfback & Riccardi is very highly rated. There arent many teams that have a guy better then him as the 2nd string HB.

Anyone who thinks that we have poor depth hasn't really looked at our roster properly.

Big wraps on riccardi apparently if needed

Joey Johns and Sterlo have both publicly supported Riccardi as being ready to step straight into first grade should one of our halves go down.

Looking at Hoppa, T Rex, Oldfield, Whare and Riccardi in the backs and a good list of young players in the forwards, we are doing okay. If we have a full complement there will be outstanding players who will miss out on a game.

Good situation to be in.

Depth in the halves, well I would ask them how these teams would go

1 Dragon take Soward or Hornby out
2 Storm take Cronk or Widdup out
3 Broncos take out Lockyer or Wallace
4 Roosters take out Carney or Pearce
5 Cowboys take out Thurston
6 Tigers take out Benji

anymore examples required.

We are one quality prop off being "a good thing" to make the GF in my mind. So are the Storm and the Dragons for that matter.

Bad luck or injury will decide who misses out on the GF between Manly, Storm and the Dragons.

Bob your giving them way to much credit

Take Soward out,Dragons are toast
Take Cronk out,Storm are toast
Take Lockyer or Wallace out and Brisbane are ****ed
Roosters are ****ed as is
Cows got a win against a resurgent knights outfit without Thurston
Tigers are purely a one man team,Without Minji they are dead

If Cronk is out for the Storm then Kelly can step into the halves or Smith can move into 7 & have Hinchcliffe play hooker. Their depth in the key positions is as good as ours as far as I can tell.

Off the top of my head, the Cowboys are the only other club in as good a spot as ourselves & the Storm in regards to depth in the halves.

eagles2win said:
Another one is if DCE got injured Liam Foran into the halves with Keiron

If that mong ever got into our first grade team it would be dark times for us. He is definitely more Mitchell Pearce than Keiran Foran.

Nutzcraw said:
What about if ballin went down?

Seu Seu, Buhrer, Higgins, L.Foran, Riccardi.

Just a guess.

Hooker is probably our weakest spot re: depth. Luckily Ballin is a machine (knock on wood).

Even if we lost both our halves, simply put Jamie to 5/8th, Ricardi to Half and Hoppa to Centre. If we then lost Ballin, Buhrer to hooker and Harrison or a whole host of others to the Bench.

Snake is covered by Hoppa. We have at least 4 good wing options. Even in the props we have Joe, T-Rex, Robinson, Lussick and we have more back rowers than any club.

Someone should ask Tunks on what he bases his opinion.

Ralphie said:

Based on his thoughts on our depth I wouldn't be surprised if he just headbutts his keyboard until something semi-legible pops up on his screen.

Wolfpack said:
Ralphie said:

Based on his thoughts on our depth I wouldn't be surprised if he just headbutts his keyboard until something semi-legible pops up on his screen.

tunks usually is pretty complementary of manly i believe hes fairly friendly with scott penn.

I love it when he calls st merge the stealers

the only areas i would be concerned about depth is up front.

After King, Rose, kite and nood it gets pretty skinny

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4