• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

chrisos

Reserve Grader
Just wanted to see your guys thoughts on DCE and how he is going?I know he is only going to get better because i can see glimmers of brilliance there,but it looks like he is not 100% confident in his role as yet which is to be expected but can we win the comp this year with a rookie NRL half?

There's only a few HB better than DCE this year but only one gives them an advantage. But saying that, I'm quite happy with his form.
I supported Ox as our HB & Captain but I think DCE takes his position to more than sufficient.
He has a good kick, both long & short, can kick goals, long & short and has a great drop-kick.

He links well with his backs and is getting a lot of forwards running off him.

But the best thing - He's improving every game and he's the first to say that his game needs improvement!

he is going well in his 1st season. Defence has improved, nice kickig game and gets quality ball to glenn and keiran.

That long run for the tryline after he scooped up the ball, reminded me so much of Johnny Gibbs. And not for the first time.

Darren said:
he is going well in his 1st season. Defence has improved, nice kickig game and gets quality ball to glenn and keiran.

On another point, it's not just DCE, but keiran as well who have been giving our great centres Lyon and Matai quality early ball. So many teams (i.e. Southes before Monday night) have dangerous centres but rarely give them early ball. We do, and I think this is a real advantage of our attack.

Blind freddy could see all Sutton had to do was give inglis early ball and he would be dangerous....the decided to finally do it on Monday and look what happened. Until Monday, the best ball Inglis got was out of dummy half, whereas Lyon and Matai have plenty of opportunities to make his mark in a game.

He's going great for a rookie season. I know I'll get howled down, but we can't win the comp with a rookie halfback. The pressure that he will be subjected to in the finals will be more than he can handle. The likes of Thurston, Cronk, Lockyer etc will turn up the heat.

We are specials to win the comp in 2012 and/or 2013.

DCE has slotted in well and more importantly the ball now covers the width of the field. There is no gap in the middle as basically all the Backs and Halves can and do pass, kick and more importantly, chase every opportunity.
DCE needs to throw the head back more to be like Gibbsy, we always thought he was going to be coat hangered in the 70's when the rules were less enforced. Happy memories ;)

Ralphie said:
He's going great for a rookie season. I know I'll get howled down, but we can't win the comp with a rookie halfback. The pressure that he will be subjected to in the finals will be more than he can handle. The likes of Thurston, Cronk, Lockyer etc will turn up the heat.

We are specials to win the comp in 2012 and/or 2013.

Not going to howl you down mate, your opinion is as good as anyone's here, but Dragons won last year with Hornby who is not a halfback, and the Bronco's won in 2006 with that champion half called Shane Perry.

DCE has both of these guys covered.

Ralphie said:
Fonz said:
I hope you eat your words!

What are you saying, we won't win on 2012 or 2013 :D

No not at all. But i would be wary of Brisbane and Melbourne again next year. Like us they are fairly young and aren't losing anyone of note. The rest of the squads are changing. Newcastle will probably be strong next year too. Add Bennett, Boyd, Snowden, Tahu and Maybe Nick Emmett to what they've already got and they'll be good.

Firstly I know that the team plays to a style and a gameplan, and to a point DCE is playing to that plan. But every player brings different attributes

He started the season slowly but soundly with keiran dominating and rightfully so. Easing him in has been very smart, but the last half of the season he is starting to play more as a dominant half and taking responsibilty. While much of the game is structured and centred around the plan, DCE's skills and strengths are staring to become more obvious to all, including his team mates. His ad lib skills that player have are becoming more obvious with every game he plays

I think we will see a lot more of the runners like stewie sniffing around as they become more aware of his fend, his ability to beat a man, and his ability to open up many half chances in a game that are going largely unconverted thus far

When the players know exactly what the cherry can do they will support him better allowing him to shine regardless of how many games he plays

With the class around him he may well prove the exception to the rule. But the forwards always have, and always will hold the key to cherry and his progress in the early years. Losing King did not help

Very very impressed with Cherry. My only criticism is that it seems like once a game he kicks the ball out on the full. I'm sure that's pressure and he'll mature out of it though.

DCEs only issue in his development is when he over thinks in attack. Its common for halves in the first few years and only more experience helps with it. He is doing as well or better than any half in recent memory. We have picked a winner.

ha ha. Some times i think to myself "Fonz, gee DCE reminds you of someone. Oh yeah it's Thurston." Then he kicks on the third for some reason and i realise it's Thurston at the same age. He'll be great one day.

What really impresses me about both our halves is their ability to play at the line. The willingness to take a hit to open up holes for their runners. Some teams in the comp have one playmaker that does this, most have none. While ever our forwards can win the ruck to give these space, we have a massive advantage IMO.

I think you have overlooked one of his biggest strengths. He loves taking on the line, particularly within the opposition's 20 metre line. He gets caught every now and again, but regularly he gets defenders off their positions and commits them before passing. Its killer to have a pair of halves who both take the ball tot he line, too many modern halves are afraid to take the ball themselves.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2