1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DCE

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Matabele, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Given Manly fans are very hard taskmasters on their halfback, that was a more than adequate debut.  Has all the options, can put a man in the hole, is dangerous on his feet and can tackle.

But the best thing for mine was seeing the ball kicked more than 30 metres consistently.

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,093 / 286
    I thought he was terrible Mata.

3. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    Well at least 3 dropped balls in the first half but showed a bit of ticker, not ready to start a bring back Trent chant just yet.

4. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    How so Ryan.  Apart from two kicks where he was run down he didn't really make a mistake.  Given he had to step up as main man when Foran went to the centres, he was far from poor mate.

5. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Im with Mata. It was his first game in the NRL, and yes he took some poor options but he showed plenty of promise.

6. swoop

swoop Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,201 / 16
    DCE was as good as I expected an eased himself into the game. His defence was pretty good but it was the loss of Lyon that forced Foran to the centres that broke the combination that I'd wanted to see.

7. Ron E. Gibbs

Ron E. Gibbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 12
    I thought he showed a lot of promise, too. Yeah, there were errors, but overall he looks like he's got good skills. He's going to get better, no doubt about it. It'll help if the blokes around him step up to the mark a little.

8. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    That game from DCE was better than anything Hodkinson dished up in the 2nd half of last year.

9. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    If we are to compare apples with apples, Hodkinson debut for us was more solid.
    I thought DCE crumbled under a bit of pressure but he will learn and mature each week.

10. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,093 / 286
    I don't know, I saw him mouthing expletives pretty regularly after his mistakes. Drooped balls. Forwards running into poor holes.

We lacked direction.

Not a great 1/2 back performance. Test that against The Cowboys new 5/8.

11. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Cowboys "new" 5/8th had several games last year and had the world's alleged best halfback to guide him through. 

12. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    Unusual for you to be so negative about a manly player Ryan. I thought he went ok, albeit with a few nerves and will be much better for the run. He did no worse than the dog we had last year. I thought Jamie Buhrer was close to Manlys best. All in all  I'm happy just because Brett Stewart is still healthy. Once he gets back into the groove, and matai and lyon are back, manly will be hard to beat.  

13. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    the Cowboys 5/8 wasnt on debut Ryan, he played last year.

He was solid not spectacular, did some good things, did some silly things, was no world beater but was never going to be.

A pass, if that, nothing more, if he learns from it he'll be a lot better from the run.

14. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    i thought he was let down big time by foran who had one of his worst games for us

DCE was left as the only attacker far too often, in 2008 we have killer, stewy and gifty to help out ox, tonight we had a debutaunt.

DCE wasnt anything special but didnt look out of his depth, and thats all we really needed to see

15. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,093 / 286
    Brett Stewart was great.
    I thought Robbo has found his pace again.
    Lyon looked good until he went down.
    As I mentioned the other day, Foran is a scrapper.
    King did ok. Showed a lot of heart.
    Seu Seu tried hard.

I won't celebrate anything else. We couldn't score.

16. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    if that was stewy gfreat then bring in hoppa, he was ok with some spark but that was far from great

17. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    agreed Fluff, he was easing back into it, to be expected.

18. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,093 / 286
    Ok, compared to the other lumps that have continued last season's mediocrity. But yeah, I get what your saying.

19. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    sorry to bring some reality into it

i liked what i saw from stewy but great he was not. still weeks away from true confidence i feel and then its all about how mush he remembers from 2008

20. StuBoot

StuBoot Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +795 / 7
    Solid debut from a halfback in a side that didn't have any field postion or decent ball for long periods. We tried hard but lost the arm wrestle & the 50/50's.
    1, 7, 9.
    Stewie v Slater - even
    DCE v Cronk - Cronk on points due to experience, possession & field position
    Ballin/SeuSeu v Smith - Smith