DCE won’t rock QLD’s Origin boat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
COOPER Cronk’s reign as rugby league’s No1 halfback is under serious threat from Manly’s Daly Cherry Evans.

Cronk won the Dally M award last year and has been the game’s standout halfback since Johnathan Thurston switched to five-eighth two years ago.

But Cherry Evans is a freakish talent and is closing in fast.

Read More

He already is up there in my eyes. Cronk is probably just a shade ahead of him with experience etc. But I think you could put DCE in any team and he would have a massive impact whereas I think Cronk would struggle with a different spine

Manly made the GF last yr, the storm didnt. I agree dan, i think that DCE is already at Cronks level, and it is experience thats cronks only key advantage.

That said Daly is showing is ability to stay calm under pressure and swing momentum in manly's favour.

From what i have heard, Cronk is passing on his experience to DCE in the AUS/QLD camp. The future is very bright for DCE.

This is one of those "Duh hey??" stories. He has been pushing Cronk for the last 2 years.

I said CRONK, not KRONIC. Settle down ASADA!

MANLY star Daly Cherry-Evans is prepared to wait another three years to become Queensland halfback - because he doesn’t want to “rock the boat.’’

Cherry-Evans is among the game’s elite now with some even suggesting he has zipped past Dally M Medal winner Cooper Cronk as the Maroons’ premier halfback.

But Cherry-Evans isn’t targeting Cronk - he only wants to continue riding Queensland’s wave of success.

“To be honest, at the moment, there is no need to rock the boat,’’ Cherry-Evans said.

“What Queensland has got at the moment is gold.

“I want to continue to be part of that and if that means coming off the bench for the next three years then I am more than happy to do so.

“I am not going to rock the boat - I want to continue to play good football and try and stay in those sides.

“I finally got a taste of representative football, which has been a goal of mine since I was playing football as a kid. To get a taste only makes a person hungrier.

“But I am not at the stage of my career where I can sit back and say: ‘Yeah, things are going really well’.

“I need to continue to work hard and I think the success will follow if I continue to apply myself at training with the help of my teammates as always.’’

Cherry-Evans played for Queensland and Australia last season - his status in rugby league soaring.

Asked did he now feel he now belonged in rep football, Cherry-Evans said: “Not quite yet to be honest.

“I have only played a handful of Origin and Australian games so I still feel I need to play more games to feel established.’’

The Daily Telegraph colleague Phil ‘Buzz’ Rothfield this week rated Cherry-Evans the NRL’s best halfback.

“It’s not for me to say I am the best halfback in the game or not,’’ Cherry-Evans said.

“I just need to continue to play for Manly and do the best job I can.

“If I continue to do that then hopefully people will keep writing good press and stay away from the bad press.’’

Either way, there is no doubt Cherry-Evans is among the finest playmakers in the game.

He is an elite player.

“(But) I am only three years into first grade,’’ he said. “For me to be put that sort of category is a bit unrealistic.

“Who knows what the future holds? But I will continue to work hard so hopefully I can be regarded (as an elite player).’’

Manly coach Geoff Toovey knows full well how important Cherry-Evans is to his side.

“I think Daly is next in line for that mantle (Australian halfback),’’ Toovey said.

“It he continues to play as he has been - and improving each year - he is definitely in there with being a chance of being the best halfback.’’

Dean Ritchie

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/manly-halfback-daly-cherryevans-wont-rock-queenslands-state-of-origin-boat/story-e6frf3ou-1226839813479

Related article:

Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans won’t rock Queensland’s State of Origin boat

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
February 28, 2014 12:00AM

MANLY star Daly Cherry-Evans is prepared to wait another three years to become Queensland halfback - because he doesn’t want to “rock the boat.’’

Cherry-Evans is among the game’s elite now with some even suggesting he has zipped past Dally M Medal winner Cooper Cronk as the Maroons’ premier halfback.

Read More

The Eagle Has Landed said:
He already is number 1 he has freakish talent and is only getting better.

This same thing happened a few years ago everyone was stating DCE was number one and he wasn't at that time and still is behind Cronk.

As soon as people started giving him props back then his form slumped, DCE is continuing to improve and developing his game nicely has the skillset but is still not at Cronks consistent level yet but getting closer.

Cronks attention to detail is unmatched at the moment and he studies the intricacies of the game at a level above DCE, the big 3 all study the game at a level beyond the competition.

DCE and Foran are following in the same path which is good to see and closing the gap. I like hearing the comments especially from Foran about where they feel their game is lacking or requires improvement from the previous season or where it might be heading.

I could fast forward the progress but only for a fee...........hehehe

Tc, Cronk has a website, that is the area that betrays cooper. The pseudo-intelligent language used by cooper on the site, and the obvious link to Kipling's "if" betray him as a phony. Dce tries to use the word "daresay" in most interviews, which shows he has some wit, so I'd select him over cronk any day. In footy terms, dce also has a better running game, a better defensive game, a better kicking game. The edge cronk has in experience and decision-making will soon be gone, as dce nears 100 f/g games.

It's not about having a better running game, there are many players with better running games it is when you choose to run the thought process the reasoning behind the run and the quality of the line run.

When Cronk runs it is usually well thought out in advance explosive and straight under the right conditions----it is well planned. In saying that you have to adlib also which is not one of Cronks strong points and this is where DCE has an advantage.

DCE runs too sideways way too often cramping outside plays and also limiting his options in doing so for himself and others but will improve in time he is still young.

DCE kicking game is great and bad at the same time, in the red zone or attacking kicks Cronk is well ahead, his kicks are spot on well thought out and precise.

DCE has a better long kicking game and an improving grubber kick game but Cronks long kicking game is not all that bad either.

I have read a little of Cronks site and yes he over does the pseudo intelligent language in a way that suggests he is overly trying hard to differentiate himself from the masses. At the same time i like some of the content and his attention to detail mentality which shows through in his playing style.

As i stated last year more often than not successful halves are usually the more intelligent thought provoking types who analyze their games in detail and would be one of my prerequisites before purchasing or taking the time to develop a half.

At age 25 and 30 it is obvious i would pick DCE---both are intelligent well spoken personalities so i would have no issue with either if i had to make a choice.

In saying that at this stage Cooper is still ahead and plays a more simplified structured style that is easy to build a team around and if age was not a factor and i was rebuilding a club i would pick Cooper over DCE.

Building a successful club is about consistency and good structures under pressure which Cooper has the edge over. In the same way Orford was the right fit for the Manly club at the time does not mean Orford was the best half around at the time though.

How would you compare Cronk to say..... Andrew Johns at the same age. Do you not think DCE will follow the same path?? Johns was known to be a party boy that was not afraid to change his hair colour etc for attention. Does that make him less of a player than Cronk?

mozgrame said:
How would you compare Cronk to say..... Andrew Johns at the same age. Do you not think DCE will follow the same path?? Johns was known to be a party boy that was not afraid to change his hair colour etc for attention. Does that make him less of a player than Cronk?

Andrew Johns more talented Cooper more structured and methodical getting the most out of himself and the team.

DCE is right in the middle of the two a mix of both but not surpassing either be it skill level with Johns or composed well thought out game structures of Cronk.

DCE is more talented than Cronk at the same age if you are asking that also.

mozgrame said:

Also Manly had the wood on Newcastle for a period in the mid 90's partly due to the Johns brothers playing too deep and passing too long making it easy for Manly's slide defence to cope, not drawing them into a decision making process in defence.

Cool, so you would have no problem with keeping him, even if he was captain? He is obviously heading for huge things if he is more talented than Cronk at the same age (and we know how you feel about Cooper). Could you put your feelings aside and admit he is good for the club? I know you said your only problem was his "too into himself" attitude, but do you really think that makes him a tosser or confident? Remember, he was asked the question about captaincy, he didn't come out and say he deserved the captaincy. Doesn't that count for something?

Like i said no problem with confidence you need that especially in the halves as it shows self belief but that reply was really poor in my books and has nothing to do with confidence but selfishness and single minded.

I would love DCE to be a one club player along with Foran but i have lost a little respect for him i guess.

I'm sure he is not a tosser i was just saying that single reply is along those lines in my book--- i guess we can all make mistakes with our wording of a thought sometimes or it did not come out the way he wished.

He might have been trying to show how keen he is about the club and the future by wanting the captaincy but that is me just giving him the benefit of the doubt a little.

It makes you think twice that maybe all the articles in the papers about DCE and his relationship with certain players might have something going for it if this reply is an indicator of his personality. I can see how it would rub off on certain players who have been with the club over the last decade and are the main reason why we are successful to this day.

On top of that Foran worked alongside the debuts of Hodkinson and DCE in first grade making their transition into the grade easy which shows leadership qualities from the start at such a young age. Foran allowed both to flourish in their own right and did not feel threatened by doing so---a very unselfish quality for someone who was still feeling their own feet at the time amazing maturity.

Thanks tc, on another note I doubt we'll see a headline Ritchie and rothfield pushing for no.1 Journo status. Although it's a shallow gene pool.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6