DCE Trying Too Hard

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
Great performance on the weekend and all is good for the season ahead.

Having said that I am just a little concerned about DCE. He seems to be trying too hard, pushing passes, some dumb options, poor chip kicks etc etc. I get the feeling he feels a need to live up to the media hype. He needs to relax and share the load with Foran and take the pressure off a bit.

As a contradiction, they are still the best halves pairing in the comp :D

By a country mile , look at other combinations and get on your hands and knees and thank whoever that they are playing with Manly.

Agree to a point Ralphie. A couple of poor fifth tackle options in the last couple of weeks. He'll get it right though.

Sorry, but I thought he went OK last night. He fired a few bullet passes to outside supports, he kicked quite well and he racked up a heap of tackles.
He's going well.
One thing he does better than almost any other halfback is tackle.

Wait till all the things AJ has been teaching him fall into place as well...I reckon it would be like learning all over again after a full off season with Johns.
He is gunna have a blinder of a season ...each week getting better

Ralphie you are an egg. LOok closely at the defense of this guy and eat your words. He's young, with heaps of talent which will only improve. I'm more than happy he's the go to guy for kicks, along with Foz, and his playmaking is great.

DSM5 said:
Ralphie you are an egg. LOok closely at the defense of this guy and eat your words. He's young, with heaps of talent which will only improve. I'm more than happy he's the go to guy for kicks, along with Foz, and his playmaking is great.

Thanks for the personal abuse DSM5, that always adds to a debate.

I didn't pass any comment on his defence, which is great. I merely made an observation that he seems to be forcing things. It looks a bit rushed to me. That observation doesn't mean I think he is playing poorly, it does mean that I think he can be a lot better than weeks 1&2.

Forcing things... I like to think 'trying things'. He is experimenting at times and testing his game and not playing within self-imposed boundries. I'm encouraged by the mistakes he is making. He (and we all) can only get better through making mistakes :^)

DCE has been playing exceptionally well, but there have been a few obvious brain explosions in the first 2 rounds - particularly poor last tackle options, and 1 strange kick on the first tackle against the Broncos that springs to mind.

I think Frogz and captainskin are on the money. As I see it, DCE is in a transitional phase and is about to take his game to a whole new level. Mistakes will happen as he progresses along that steep learning curve, but his successes along the way will more than make up for them (as they have so far).

DCE has always been acknowledged as a young talent, but by the end of the season I think he will be acknowledged as one of the top flight halfbacks in the game.

A couple of his 5th tackle options have been a bit questionable, but he's probably just trying out some new things out he learned under Joey during the offseason.
Still dusting out the cobwebs too, he'll be fine come a month's time.

There's quite a bit of pressure on his shoulders given that the only other creative outlet on the team is Lyon & he's stuck out in the centers. I'm not too worried as given what we've seen in the first two games from the halves is more or less what we saw in 2012.

One area I'm excited to see if Joey can fix up is our long range kicking. Right now Lyon is our only consistent option but isn't always available given his position. Foran isn't a natural kicker & is a bit touch & go, while Cherry seems to struggle with his leg strength. Frustrating because it's been a bugbear of ours for a while now.

Wolfpack said:
There's quite a bit of pressure on his shoulders given that the only other creative outlet on the team is Lyon & he's stuck out in the centers. I'm not too worried as given what we've seen in the first two games from the halves is more or less what we saw in 2012.

One area I'm excited to see if Joey can fix up is our long range kicking. Right now Lyon is our only consistent option but isn't always available given his position. Foran isn't a natural kicker & is a bit touch & go, while Cherry seems to struggle with his leg strength. Frustrating because it's been a bugbear of ours for a while now.

Really? Didn't cherry make the most kick metres last year?

Ralphie said:
Great performance on the weekend and all is good for the season ahead.

Having said that I am just a little concerned about DCE. He seems to be trying too hard, pushing passes, some dumb options, poor chip kicks etc etc. I get the feeling he feels a need to live up to the media hype. He needs to relax and share the load with Foran and take the pressure off a bit.

As a contradiction, they are still the best halves pairing in the comp :D
Toovey knows what he is doing.

I have found he gets better the game goes on. He seems to take a little while to warm up (given we have just started the season).

I thought he played really well in the second half against the donkeys.

I think like 11 and 12, he will get better as the season goes on.... and if foz keeps up his form, Manly are going to be one epic force in 2013.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6