Haumole gone, DCE resurrected

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
1.Tom Trbojevic
2.Tommy Talau
3.Tolutau Koula
4.Reuben Garrick
5.Jason Saab
6.Luke Brooks
7.Jake Arthur
8.Taniela Paseka
9.Lachlan Croker
10.Josh Aloiai
11.Ethan Bullemor
12.Corey Waddell
13.Jake Trbojevic

14.GCKT (but Woods will come into the team)
15.Nathan Brown
16.Matt Lodge
17.Karl Lawton

Sipley and Ben T won’t be back

The judiciary is a joke aloiai gets a week, have been two more charge downs with more forced then aloiai and haven’t got anything because Johnson milk the penalty.
Manly will accept the two games because no one wins at the judiciary.

even with ola and DCE out that looks like a still strong line up
you can still see that being competitive

Both ineligible for the dally m now, right?
"Eligibility rules will remain unchanged, with any player who is suspended from two (2) or more matches in any one season immediately becoming ineligible for the Dally M Awards"

The current NRL judiciary system is so black-and-white that it it unjust, and probably unlawful:
1. It discourages a player from seeking justice by imposing a mandatory extra week penalty should he take the matter to court and be unsuccessful. Where in the real world does a judge/magistrate impose a ruling, then extends the sentence simply because the defendant enacted his rights by having the charge tested in a court of law?
2. It fails to take into account a defendant's record. In the case of DCE's unblemished 14 year old career surely his character would weigh heavily towards leniency. It a real court you can receive a suspended sentence if you have a clean record.

1. It discourages a player from seeking justice by imposing a mandatory extra week penalty should he take the matter to court and be unsuccessful. Where in the real world does a judge/magistrate impose a ruling, then extends the sentence simply because the defendant enacted his rights by having the charge tested in a court of law?
No, it’s the same as our criminal law. You aren’t given extra punishment for challenging the charge, you are given a discount on penalty for not challenging it. The rationale for rewarding a guilty plea is 1) you show remorse for doing the wrong thing and 2) you save everyone the cost and drama of a trial
2. It fails to take into account a defendant's record. In the case of DCE's unblemished 14 year old career surely his character would weigh heavily towards leniency.
True, it’s not taken into account by NRL. If it was a less serious charge I’ve heard they sometimes send a letter instead of charging (!) but in general a clean record is not relevant to whether you are guilty or innocent. In a court of law when you are found guilty or plead guilty you do get a lighter sentence for a clean record.
It a real court you can receive a suspended sentence if you have a clean record.
No they did away with suspended sentences in NSW

Last edited:
The current NRL judiciary system is so black-and-white that it it unjust, and probably unlawful:
2. It fails to take into account a defendant's record. In the case of DCE's unblemished 14 year old career surely his character would weigh heavily towards leniency. It a real court you can receive a suspended sentence if you have a clean record.
In answer to #1, if a defendant pleads guilty to a charge & therefore a potentially drawn out & expensive court case is avoided, the judge will often take that into account during sentencing, as it saves everyone a lot of time & money.

Plea deals are also common in law too.

Sums up my feeling exactly. Sivo should get 6 weeks if DCE and Ola get 2.

Bloody hell they've lost their minds.
In the immortal words of our very own BOZO, perspective time:

One offence could have put Shaun Lane in a wheelchair. The other was just some momentary pain to Garrick’s face.

Anyway, here is a SMH report on Manly’s potential strategy in coming days:

Manly seek legal advice after DCE, Olakau’atu charged while Sivo escapes with fine​

Christian Nicolussi

By Christian Nicolussi

April 27, 2024 — 11.59am

Manly have wasted no time reaching out to lawyer Nick Ghabar to review a lifting tackle that has skipper Daly Cherry-Evans and back-rower Haumole Olakau’atu facing two-match bans.

The match review committee levelled a grade-two dangerous contact charge against both players on Saturday morning following the Sea Eagles’ 32-18 win over Parramatta the night before.

Eels winger Maika Sivo, who was sin binned for elbowing Reuben Garrick in the face – a moment that went a long way to ending any hopes of an Eels comeback – can escape with a $3000 fine for dangerous contact.

Olakau’atu was sin binned for the fifth-minute tackle on Shaun Lane, who complained of a sore neck, but was able to finish the game. No action was taken on the field against Cherry-Evans.

It wasn’t like a typical lifting tackle; he hit him through the stomach, which is a really good tackle,” Sea Eagles coach Anthony Seibold said after the game about Olakau’atu’s effort on Lane.

“And then ‘Chez’ [Cherry-Evans] was on top. He did land in an unfortunate position. But he came back on and played the rest of the game. I thought 10 minutes was sufficient for the tackle, so hopefully nothing more comes with that.”

Cherry-Evans added: “I definitely had a role in the tackle. It just overcompensated what was happening in the tackle. Ten minutes in the bin was probably fair. I’d like to think that’s hopefully all and we’ll move on.”

Should Manly and Ghabar seek a downgrade to a grade-one dangerous throw, Cherry-Evans and Olakau’atu can escape with $1000 fines.

The Sea Eagles, who are in the top four on the ladder, face Canberra and the Dolphins in the next fortnight.

Parramatta fans will be wondering how Sivo is fined but given a 10-minute timeout late in the game, while Cherry-Evans risks a two-match ban yet was free to continue playing.

Eels forward Ryan Matterson was also charged with a careless high tackle on Luke Brooks, but only risks a $1000 fine.

More to come

I haven't re-watched the tackle but it did look scary at the time. Seems Manly is getting legal advice, but unless the chances of fighting it are really strong I reckon just get on with it, next man up.

We have solid halves depth now so use it. Supposedly we have a smart coach so should be able to play a slightly adjusted style and beat those 2 sides. Raiders have lost their own half anyway, and I think dolphins are also missing quite a few.

In answer to #1, if a defendant pleads guilty to a charge & therefore a potentially drawn out & expensive court case is avoided, the judge will often take that into account during sentencing, as it saves everyone a lot of time & money.
Not 'often', always - the judge doesn't have a choice, the law says are entitled to an automatic discount for a guilty plea

It is dolphins in 2 week's time not Broncos but still get your point

1/2 then get ola and DCE back for magic round against Broncos

I will happily take that
Don’t worry me and my rabid child will be there cheering them on v dolphins. We’ll get em home in that one. Arthur straight in for dce. Interested to see what they do in the backrow. Rest for these two could turn out to be a blessing given both will play origin. I think of the broncos last year where they had players frequently having short stints on the sideline. Helps keep them healthy in the nrl marathon. We’ve had a few already, Ola, Sips, Brown, burbo, dce now.

Dare I say it, Parker into the backrow……

Parramatta fans will be wondering how Sivo is fined but given a 10-minute timeout late in the game, while Cherry-Evans risks a two-match ban yet was free to continue playing.

Its a fair point.

Id also ask how Matterson wasnt even penalised for his hit on Brooks, yet has now been charged. This is not close to the first time this sort of thing has happened this year. And we wonder why players stay down?

There is a huge disconnect between the ref/bunker and the MRC / judiciary.

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10