David Riccio horticultural ironstine

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
On issues Brookvale Oval in general, I think the Club is paying the price for its own intransigence. If they were prepared to tip in more for maintenance, the Council might have been more amenable to retaining a permanent groundsman at Brookvale Oval, thus reducing the likelihood of this current situation developing in the first place.

It might have been smarter too to spend less money on oxygen-thieving players like Chris Close, Dave Brown, Phil Sigsworth etc during the Fulton era (2 premierships over 12 seasons, not a brilliant return given some of the talent involved) and more money on the ground itself - when it was in the Club's financial resources to do so. We might have individual seating right around the ground, 25 years ago. Better than the wooden benches we still have on three sides of the field. The Club should be embarrassed about that, just as much as the Mayor of Warringah.

On issues Brookvale Oval in general, I think the Club is paying the price for its own intransigence. If they were prepared to tip in more for maintenance, the Council might have been more amenable to retaining a permanent groundsman at Brookvale Oval, thus reducing the likelihood of this current situation developing in the first place.

It might have been smarter too to spend less money on oxygen-thieving players like Chris Close, Dave Brown, Phil Sigsworth etc during the Fulton era (2 premierships over 12 seasons, not a brilliant return given some of the talent involved) and more money on the ground itself - when it was in the Club's financial resources to do so. We might have individual seating right around the ground, 25 years ago. Better than the wooden benches we still have on three sides of the field. The Club should be embarrassed about that, just as much as the Mayor of Warringah.
I'll sit on the grass / wooden bench and pay $32 to do so, if it means we win 2 premierships in 12 years.

Have we heard any updates on this weekends game. is it at Brooky or no decision made yet???

I don't think you really understand how it works Terry. If you were renting an apartment do you offer to pay more rent to fix stuff? The club pays a lease which is set and negotiated by the council. That is meant to be enough to provide for upkeep and maintenance. The council in the last few years though has cut corners and costs and the ground is paying the price. (of note they didn't reduce the lease).

Guys I think take this with a grain of salt. They've said they don't have a backup which means theyre obviously hopeful of it being right. I for one am happy that the nrl actually cares enough to spend some money. Even though the reality is its their own vested interests due to Tv coverage. But by the nrl stepping in it forces the council to act more proactively.

Thanks Lurker, you may be right. I am certainly not privy to negotiations over the lease. However I would be surprised if the figure paid by the Club has increased much (if at all) for at least a decade. That is where I see the problem lying. What the Club thinks it should pay, based on what they see as the result of their financial input, is not what the Council believes the former should be paying to provide a decent playing surface, along with a well-maintained facility in general. We have a sort of sporting field Catch-22 situation in play here.

To be perfectly honest it would seem the council takes the club for granted and has for some time now (I don't live in the are I confess).

Thanks Lurker, you may be right. I am certainly not privy to negotiations over the lease. However I would be surprised if the figure paid by the Club has increased much (if at all) for at least a decade. That is where I see the problem lying. What the Club thinks it should pay, based on what they see as the result of their financial input, is not what the Council believes the former should be paying to provide a decent playing surface, along with a well-maintained facility in general. We have a sort of sporting field Catch-22 situation in play here.
NRL grand finalists Manly could be forced from Brookvale Oval after Warringah Council doubled its fee for use of the ageing venue.

The council wants $710,000 a season, up from $350,000 a year.

The fee increase comes as the club is poised to add heavyweight backing by announcing Tony Abbott as its No.1 ticket holder.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ht-to-keep-spiritual-home-20130930-2uoqu.htmll

The council gets paid $348,484 and they refuse to allow it to be single use hence how it gets in the situation its in. People compare it to other teams and cite how much other teams pay but no one else has to put up with amateur level sports getting played on their fields and dogs being walked on it. If I was the club I wouldn't pay any more than that either. Essentially the sea eagles are subsidising a community facility. They don't have full time grounds keepers just for Brooky either which is a joke. Its an untenable situation and the ground needs to be given to the state government. It needs to stop being open to the public. I don't mind other sports playing on it (even amateur) but its not a normal park and access should be managed. Dogs shouldn't be ****ting on it and kids shouldn't be able to just go for a kick. There's no one to police people not wearing studs either which chews it up.

And yes I believe the council is taking MSE for granted. If we weren't there they'd have a furfy facility screwing them into the ground

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4